Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    True but pay to play MLS is only a few clubs. The vast majority are free. Clubs run camps, RDS, outside coaching etc to help cover DA costs. If they decide to go it alone without USSF they might cut the number of teams they train to help with costs, or they could institute fees but make it reasonable and have need based scholarships.. They also would have more control over schedules to possibly help with travel costs.

On the flip side more are adding residency programs - investing more than ever before. They can then recruit from anywhere in the country if they want
    Which MLS teams have residency programs? Which MLS teams are not free?

Comment

Which MLS teams have residency programs? Which MLS teams are not free?
      Phil Union, FC Dallas and Sporting KC have residency programs....I am sure there are others.
      DC United is one program that I have heard of that is not free.

Comment

Phil Union, FC Dallas and Sporting KC have residency programs....I am sure there are others.
        Seattle and LA I think as well or are setting them up. DC is the only non free one I've heard of but I think the fees are rational, not what a club like BS charges.

Comment

DC United and MN United are not free

Chicago Fire just cancelled their U-18-19 team.

Philly, Real Salt Lake and LA Galaxy operate their own private schools through partnerships

FC Dallas and Sporting KC have partnered with public schools to alter the school day.

Comment

DC United and MN United are not free

Chicago Fire just cancelled their U-18-19 team.

Philly, Real Salt Lake and LA Galaxy operate their own private schools through partnerships

FC Dallas and Sporting KC have partnered with public schools to alter the school day.
            For MLS teams there is no point in a U18-19 DA team. They all have USL branches now.

Comment

For MLS teams there is no point in a U18-19 DA team. They all have USL branches now.
              Sure there is a need for U 18/19 teams. Fire is just cheap and stranded a YNT keeper too

1. Not all MLS teams have USL teams
              2. many 18 year old players are not all ready to play USL or don’t want to skip college

Comment

It the last time when they can fully evaluate players they might extend offers to and have an impact on their development. Why would an MLS club want to pawn off a 17 year old kid to a USL club if they think he might be good enough but maybe needs more time to flourish? They would want him under their wing and playing as competitively as possible. If anything it's the younger teams MLS will jettison if they go their own way.

Comment

It the last time when they can fully evaluate players they might extend offers to and have an impact on their development. Why would an MLS club want to pawn off a 17 year old kid to a USL club if they think he might be good enough but maybe needs more time to flourish? They would want him under their wing and playing as competitively as possible. If anything it's the younger teams MLS will jettison if they go their own way.
                  They are not pawning them off. they are playing for the MLS second teams. Still under contract to the MLS side. I am not sure what kind of contract you can give a player that is still part of development academy.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x
                  Working...
                  X