Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roster Size and Playing Time

Interested to know what other teams, clubs do about playing time for tournaments or TTL when it comes to playing time excluding injury and discipline.

U14 D1 18 players.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Interested to know what other teams, clubs do about playing time for tournaments or TTL when it comes to playing time excluding injury and discipline.

U14 D1 18 players.
    On the girls side, our players play pretty equal minutes for showcases, everyone gets at least half a game in tournaments and mostly only the starters play when it counts. Oh, except the children of manager, board member and big donors play most of every game regardless.

Comment

25% minimum

Work towards half or more to keep everyone happy.

Comment

U14 D1 18 players.
        League games everyone gets at least approximatley 50% playing time. Parents who watch the clock and count their kids minutes will note and howl everytime it's a minute or two short, but the goal/plan is 50% for all in league games.

Tournaments play based more on merit but everyone who travels plays. If it's a showcase tournament closer to the 50% for all level. If it's a tournament you can "win" and the team has a chance to win, playing time will skew towards stronger players.

State Cup/Presidents Cup top players play and team plays to win. Some players may not get on the field.

The poster who claims the manager/board member/donors' kids play more regardless of merit is either making excuses for his kid's shortcomings or his kid plays for a really dysfunctional club.

Comment

Nah. I’ve seen manager’s kids get more playing time than they deserve or even make the team over stronger kids.

It’s a game many parents play and it seems to workZ

Comment

Nah. I’ve seen manager’s kids get more playing time than they deserve or even make the team over stronger kids.

Agree. Board members too. Lotta politics. Feel bad for the coaches under pressure to please. Feel bad for the kids whose time is cut short due to politics. At least everyone else on the team knows because it’s plain to see when it happens. Also seen teams where the managers kid was one of the best but political playing time exists at every club too.

Comment

It’s kids soccer and most will not play beyond their teens so you all need to relax, enjoy the time you have with your kids and stop bitching about it. Be happy they are playing a game they love, and find the best fit for their TRUE talent level and desire because it can all end in an instant

Comment

On most teams I've been associated with, the team is picked first and THEN a manager is chosen among the parents; I've never seen a parent approach a coach at tryouts and offer to be the manager "assuming my kid makes the team".

The big exception to this is when a coach has a team for more than one year; often s/he will keep the same manager if that manager is willing. (Conversely, about a year ago, the coach of my DS's team kept the team--while the manager's kid made the team the next season, the treasurer's kid was cut, and a new treasurer needed to be found).

Never been on a team where it was obvious the manager's child didn't belong. Couldn't tell you who the club board members, or their kids, even are.

Comment

This tired argument gets recycled every so often, by parents who are desparately looking for any excuse other than the obvious that their kid is either A) not working hard/having the right attitude in practice; or B) not good enough to play in knockout type situations where the team is playing to win (such as State or Presidents Cup).

Don't believe me? There is an incredibly simple solution. Every parent p**sing and moaning about this simply needs to volunteer to be a board member or team manager. Put in the unpaid hours of your time, then sit back and watch your kid get playing time (s)he doesn't deserve. Hint...that's not how it works.

Comment

I recently went from 12 players for 11v11 with a few flakes and flakey parents to 18. The players I added are all very strong hard workers. Some of the players that have been with me... maybe has took for granted, or failed to recognize the position and time they held was based on no other alternatives.

Probably time for a parent meeting. Skipping practice for the water park when we have a tournament that's been on the schedule for months. Skipping a practice marked as a "necessary" practice vs. others that are marked "optional" good week/time to vaca etc.

Comment

It’s kids soccer and most will not play beyond their teens so you all need to relax, enjoy the time you have with your kids and stop bitching about it. Be happy they are playing a game they love, and find the best fit for their TRUE talent level and desire because it can all end in an instant
                      It’s never affected my kid for playing time as she’s a goalie but I’ve seen it happen more than once on teams she’s been on

Comment

In middleschool kids need to learn that not everyone will get equal PT. PT should still be meaningful but not necessarily equal. If you want to play in HS or college, PT is earned. If your kid isn't getting any PT they're probably on the wrong team.

Comment

It’s never affected my kid for playing time as she’s a goalie but I’ve seen it happen more than once on teams she’s been on
                          GK PT is another tricky one. Having only one GK carries big risks. If there are two, PT should be equal, either one half each or one full game each. Don't put your GK on a team with 3 keepers. Guaranteed one parent will go mental over PT and make for a very long season

Comment

GK PT is another tricky one. Having only one GK carries big risks. If there are two, PT should be equal, either one half each or one full game each. Don't put your GK on a team with 3 keepers. Guaranteed one parent will go mental over PT and make for a very long season
                            Having two keepers also has the advantage that both can spend some time playing in the field during the other's turn in goal. As quite a few keepers act as though they've no clue what to do with their feet, take advantage!

Comment

In our team there is 1 player that is only there because of parent manager/relationship with the coach. It’s painfully obvious and sad for the player.

On playing time, for tournaments and cup games I recommend laying out clear expectations to the parents so they don’t expect equal playing time (especially when travel is involved!!). If they know ahead of time that their kid might not see hardly any playing time, they may re-think whether devoting the weekend to far away soccer is worth it. And if they complain - well, they were forewarned.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X