Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USC, UCLA, Santa Clara

why aren't more girls recruited to these schools from the East coast?

I am surprised Stars and PDA don't have more players on these teams.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

Serious question because I don’t know. Are their academics as strong as our east coast private universities? Just putting the soccer aside for a minute

Comment

1. distance
      2. quality

those schools dont need to go far afield UNLESS its for truly special talent. Duke, UVA, UNC all offer warmer weather, great academics and equivalent soccer for that level of player.

Comment

i will add that the Clubs you mention do not develop players of that level any more frequently than anyone else in the North east

Comment

Serious question because I don’t know. Are their academics as strong as our east coast private universities? Just putting the soccer aside for a minute
          Yes, easily as good if not better.

Comment

i will add that the Clubs you mention do not develop players of that level any more frequently than anyone else in the North east
            Very few New England players on top East coach teams let alone West Coast teams. Why would top Cali teams need to recruit here when they have more DA/ECNL/NPL clubs in-state than the entire Northeast?

Comment

Very few New England players on top East coach teams let alone West Coast teams. Why would top Cali teams need to recruit here when they have more DA/ECNL/NPL clubs in-state than the entire Northeast?
              Exactly. In a state of 35M people they hardly even need to look outside the state, let alone any further east than CO. There's an abundance of talent out there to chose from. not only do we have few players capable of playing at that level, most students and even athletes will want to stay closer to home.

Comment

like i said, only for special talent. there are very few national players that everyone recruits.

Comment

like i said, only for special talent. there are very few national players that everyone recruits.
                  To put this in perspective, the smallest of the 3 schools mentioned by the OP, Santa Clara (<6k under grad students) has 3 U-20 WNT members with World Cup experience. Whole other level out West.

Comment

To put this in perspective, the smallest of the 3 schools mentioned by the OP, Santa Clara (<6k under grad students) has 3 U-20 WNT members with World Cup experience. Whole other level out West.
                    Not really true. How many do UNC,UVA,Penn State, FSU, Duke have? That pool is all the same. there are about 15 top level soccer schools. Some have better academics than others i guess. But a player attractive to that pool is usually recruited everywhere

Comment

Not really true. How many do UNC,UVA,Penn State, FSU, Duke have? That pool is all the same. there are about 15 top level soccer schools. Some have better academics than others i guess. But a player attractive to that pool is usually recruited everywhere
                      And MA has very few of those players.

Comment

Ok, other than Duke, you are comparing 4 of the largest public research universities in the country to Santa Clara, which has a total student population of under 9,000 students and a tiny endowment of under $1 billion??? Even Duke as a private university has had over 6x as many students as Santa Clara and an endowment 9x bigger. That’s real apples to oranges, but I’ll still bet Santa Clara has better talent than PSU, Duke, and maybe UVA. And as far as academics, please go look at Santa Clara’s SAT/ACT scores and compare them to state schools like PSU, FSU, etc. The other plus is Santa Clara is in Cali, where a lot of its grads end up in good-paying tech like Google, etc. Much better than the economies around Happy Valley and North Carolina. I’m not even an alum, but I’m not dumb enough to make that comparison!

Comment

And MA has very few of those players.
                          My D knew by 8th grade that she didn't want to be more than a short plane flight from home. We live in MA, NOT the Dakotas or Wyoming or Iowa. There are plenty of really good schools in our backyard, and good enough soccer to stay within her desired radius. So she plays in the Northeast.

It's not really different for the CA youth soccer players; there are plenty of great schools nearby and who'd want to trade CA weather for the Northeast? So the CA players stay there, unless there aren't spots available and they're forced to look elsewhere. Is that too hard a concept to understand for the OP?

Comment

My D knew by 8th grade that she didn't want to be more than a short plane flight from home. We live in MA, NOT the Dakotas or Wyoming or Iowa. There are plenty of really good schools in our backyard, and good enough soccer to stay within her desired radius. So she plays in the Northeast.

It's not really different for the CA youth soccer players; there are plenty of great schools nearby and who'd want to trade CA weather for the Northeast? So the CA players stay there, unless there aren't spots available and they're forced to look elsewhere. Is that too hard a concept to understand for the OP?
                            You are right, but, there are many CA players on East Coast rosters.
                            There is a romanticism to going to school Back East.

Comment

You are right, but, there are many CA players on East Coast rosters.
                              There is a romanticism to going to school Back East.
                              Geez, are you sure about that? or maybe these girls weren't good enough to play in their backyard and decided to play elsewhere. Or maybe there was a better fir for the major they have decided to pursue.. Wait this was sarcasm right? I missed it, I've gone this far I might as well just submit

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X