X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

none

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Lol I love the hypocrisy here. The coaches have a hard time travelling every month (which is their job) but 12-18 year old kids are expected to travel out of state for all away games and be good students and spend time with family etc. Shows you how stupid it is for our kids to be traveling this much. My comment is not a knock specifically at the Reign but at youth soccer as a whole. The Reign just seems to travel the most.
    Wait until next season when they start playing some of their "home" games in Portland.

Comment

Wait until next season when they start playing some of their "home" games in Portland.
      or they just may be playing here soon.

https://soccerstadiumdigest.com/2019...-300m-project/

Comment

Lol I love the hypocrisy here. The coaches have a hard time travelling every month (which is their job) but 12-18 year old kids are expected to travel out of state for all away games and be good students and spend time with family etc. Shows you how stupid it is for our kids to be traveling this much. My comment is not a knock specifically at the Reign but at youth soccer as a whole. The Reign just seems to travel the most.
        Hypocrisy? About a coach dealing with a family medical issue?? There are dozens of problems with WYS but travel in the higher level teams isn’t one of them.

Reign has 9-12 travel days from Sept through May. Seems pretty light actually. And with an average HS GPA of 3.9

ECNL was 13-15 travel days on average for the shorter year of Jan through May with a similar GPA. What’s your point again?

You will not find players with low GPA averages on these teams. And players with higher grades and HS subjects usually end up tutoring their teammates. We’ve also had parents who are school teachers travel and make them selves available to help players during travel. Clubs like WP have subsadised travel packages as well.

They have a league for players that don’t want to travel. It’s NPSL and RCL. No one is forcing anyone to travel. Even in ECNL you can opt out of traveling and save the money.

Comment

Hypocrisy? About a coach dealing with a family medical issue?? There are dozens of problems with WYS but travel in the higher level teams isn’t one of them.

Reign has 9-12 travel days from Sept through May. Seems pretty light actually. And with an average HS GPA of 3.9

ECNL was 13-15 travel days on average for the shorter year of Jan through May with a similar GPA. What’s your point again?

You will not find players with low GPA averages on these teams. And players with higher grades and HS subjects usually end up tutoring their teammates. We’ve also had parents who are school teachers travel and make them selves available to help players during travel. Clubs like WP have subsadised travel packages as well.

They have a league for players that don’t want to travel. It’s NPSL and RCL. No one is forcing anyone to travel. Even in ECNL you can opt out of traveling and save the money.
          9 travel days....lol, more like 9 travel weekends plus. Also know a girl on GDA that has s 2.3 so quit fibbing about a 3.9 average.

Comment

Sorry didn't mean to sound crass about the coach if he has medical issues. However the post doesn't say anything about medical issues, just looking after family in the UK which can mean many things. Did you assume medical issues or do you know his family? Either way your outrage and assumptions are noted. Also I am guessing out of the population of kids playing DA and ECNL my guess is medical issues pop up quite a bit with families, and combined equals alot more than a single coach. It would suck to get benched and less playing time or lose a position or have to leave a club if a kids family has medical issues as well.

Now on to you proving my point that travel is stupid and silly. You are justifying your own travel because you are doing it and paying for it. It is normal human behavior to have to justify things you participate in, otherwise you wouldn't participate. We travel for play and tournaments as well so I am a hypocrite calling out hypocrites. I will own that. But I stand by my point that travel for kids to play a sport is stupid. I can't break my own cycle either but at least I admit it. I think one out of state trip per year can be acceptable because it is a bonding experience with the team and/or family. Anything more than that is a grind and does not lead to better soccer or more enjoyment from the kids. And we have already discussed how terrible soccer is in Washington state. I doubt it adds value for 98% of WA state teams to travel just to play in division 2-4 in a tournament, or worse yet travel to sub par tournaments they know are easier to compete in just to win.

Comment

You seem really upset. I understood what the poster was saying -- the travel schedule is crazy and costly, and hard on the adults involved -- and these are KIDS. The system is wack. I'm also a hypocrite because our family does it too. Families choose this, but let's not pretend it's not hard/harder for some than others, that some kids' GPAs are lower than they would be if they weren't training 3/4 times a week and traveling all the time etc etc. It's great that it's working so well for your kid and that your team has volunteer tutors etc.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              Working...
              X