Thoughts on DA Playoffs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nah, ecnl teams have much better athletes overall than gda teams which is the main reason they win most of the youth league games. but of course taking the best 2-3 players off of any team is going to weaken that team very significantly.

obviously the girls don't have much choice in which team they are asked to play on, but nice try haha

and yes toward the end of the year reign did have some players who were playing up play at their true age against crossfire lol and those games ended up tied for the most part

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    So 2-3 girls playing up is the reason for all those losses. How do you think those girls feel that you're blaming them?

Comment

nah, ecnl teams have much better athletes overall than gda teams which is the main reason they win most of the youth league games. but of course taking the best 2-3 players off of any team is going to weaken that team very significantly.

obviously the girls don't have much choice in which team they are asked to play on, but nice try haha

and yes toward the end of the year reign did have some players who were playing up play at their true age against crossfire lol and those games ended up tied for the most part
      That’s the dumbest argument ever to excuse utter failure.
      Clubs play girls up because they’re better than the older girls. Bring them down to their age group, then they have to bri back the weaker older girls, and the older team becomes worse than they already were. Repeat for each age group and each team is worse. Nice try though. That excuse might work next year when your only regional competition so the Portland Thorns.
      LOL

Comment

Keep hanging your hat on the few ties to try to offset the large amounts of losses, your opinion that athleticism and having fewer girls playing up is the reason for Xfire and the other ECNL teams successes. Moral victories - awesome!

Comment

um if each team has 2-3 girls who are playing up and you bring them all down to their age level than each team will now have 2-3 better girls on their team that came from an older age group. ok, except the very oldest age group which will be weakened. what don't you understand?

That’s the dumbest argument ever to excuse utter failure.
          Clubs play girls up because they’re better than the older girls. Bring them down to their age group, then they have to bri back the weaker older girls, and the older team becomes worse than they already were. Repeat for each age group and each team is worse. Nice try though. That excuse might work next year when your only regional competition so the Portland Thorns.
          LOL

Comment

um if each team has 2-3 girls who are playing up and you bring them all down to their age level than each team will now have 2-3 better girls on their team that came from an older age group. ok, except the very oldest age group which will be weakened. what don't you understand?
            Looked at the Reign DA roster. There were a grand total of 4 Reign player who played up and got a significant number of games played(more than 1/3 of the games) on an older team. That seems to be about the normal number for most clubs. The other few got just a few games in. It's hilarious that you're delusional enough to think that moving those few kids back down would've changed the game outcomes significantly. Like one of the other posts above said, keep hanging your hat on that. 2 wins out of 22 games... not good. Have you considered that maybe, just maybe, these other teams might be more athletic, more skilled, and more tactically advanced than Reign?

Comment

have you watched any of these games? xf teams have MUCH better athletes, but their tactics and technique are only ok. reign has very few natural athletes, let's face it these are mostly kids of microsofties and amazombies. however they are very smart players in general and have good skills. I'd say reign at this point is very much like eagleclaw just with the addition of a smattering of high level players.

I think as reign goes down to younger ages there will be more true athletes in the pipeline since they'll be joining prior to hs soccer being a factor in their decision. but time will tell.

Looked at the Reign DA roster. There were a grand total of 4 Reign player who played up and got a significant number of games played(more than 1/3 of the games) on an older team. That seems to be about the normal number for most clubs. The other few got just a few games in. It's hilarious that you're delusional enough to think that moving those few kids back down would've changed the game outcomes significantly. Like one of the other posts above said, keep hanging your hat on that. 2 wins out of 22 games... not good. Have you considered that maybe, just maybe, these other teams might be more athletic, more skilled, and more tactically advanced than Reign?

Comment

Your numbers are wrong, count the number of players on XF that played up more than 3 games in the 18-19 season. There are 0. For Reign there are 9 players that played up for more than that number of games.

Crossfire has a culture of not playing their players up because they value winning games over individual player development.

Looked at the Reign DA roster. There were a grand total of 4 Reign player who played up and got a significant number of games played(more than 1/3 of the games) on an older team. That seems to be about the normal number for most clubs.

Comment

have you watched any of these games? xf teams have MUCH better athletes, but their tactics and technique are only ok. reign has very few natural athletes, let's face it these are mostly kids of microsofties and amazombies. however they are very smart players in general and have good skills. I'd say reign at this point is very much like eagleclaw just with the addition of a smattering of high level players.

I think as reign goes down to younger ages there will be more true athletes in the pipeline since they'll be joining prior to hs soccer being a factor in their decision. but time will tell.
                  I tend to agree your comments.

The Reign is not a magical unicorn that creates national team players and teams just because they play in DA. They have the same problems as every other club in the state. Which is how do I attract the most number of kids I can. The more kids I attract the more likely I will have stronger athletes or more skilled players to select from. The Reign is definitely trying to play a more technical and possession based game. Probably without the creativity that Eagleclaw tries to create and not as rigid of a possession system as Pac. Probably somewhere in between on training style. From a player pool I would say they only get 1 or 2 highly skilled and athletic kids per team, the rest are filler and come from select, C, B mostly, then a few A then the 1 or 2 really skilled are kids from ECNL. I disagree on your comment about the younger years being stronger though. I think they will struggle more at the younger years attracting kids out of other clubs without the affiliation with the WYS partnership.

Comment

Your numbers are wrong, count the number of players on XF that played up more than 3 games in the 18-19 season. There are 0. For Reign there are 9 players that played up for more than that number of games.

Crossfire has a culture of not playing their players up because they value winning games over individual player development.
                    You’re really going to count players who played 5 games out of 30 as contributors? The point being made was that there were 4 players in the whole club who played a significant number of games (ONE-THIRD of the total games played) on an older team. 4 is a normal number for most clubs. Xfire had 2. You guys are funny.

Comment

I wonder. Younger ages are much more open in terms of player movement between clubs before players are locked in. And pretty much every parent of a U little thinks their kid is the next great national team star. I think reign is likely to have their pick of strong younger players. But we'll see what happens

I I disagree on your comment about the younger years being stronger though. I think they will struggle more at the younger years attracting kids out of other clubs without the affiliation with the WYS partnership.

Comment

You’re really going to count players who played 5 games out of 30 as contributors? The point being made was that there were 4 players in the whole club who played a significant number of games (ONE-THIRD of the total games played) on an older team. 4 is a normal number for most clubs. Xfire had 2. You guys are funny.
                        This whole thread is a bit nutty and has a lot of misinformation. Reign is now entering its fourth year as a program, and over their first three years there have been significant changes of direction (ecnl to da, su partnership to su/eastside to Eastside only to independent, and now going on to a third td), but now seems to be on solid footing with its coaching staff and a broader overall program, the ability to offer the only DA program in the area, and the tie in to the pro team. Xf has been around forever, and while some top girls coaches like TR and RR moved elsewhere JB and WW have been around for a while now. Xf had a big head start over Reign in the relevant age groups, but Reign put together competitive teams and provided a competitive threat that probably pushed xf to make its own program better, which is good for the overall ecosystem.

Last year, the oldest DA team, 00/01, was thus comprised of players who joined the program sophomore year or later. The team was strong— was one of four teams competing for 3 playoff spots in their da division most of the year but didn’t get the results they needed in last few games. The players all came from ecnl or A teams. There was one playup for most of the year (an 03 cb who has been in the ynt pool). There were a couple ynt players who missed a lot of games for camps. They didn’t win any of their games against xf this year, but the games (except maybe one) were highly competitive. Xf definitely a bit stronger team, especially when their strong ecnl players and ynt playup played with the da team). Because of the ridiculousness with da and ecnl they never played pac or wpfc, but I’m sure those would have been good games. College placement-wise, the Reign team did very well— the graduating players are all playing in college, mostly d1 plus a couple at a strong d2 with program. Xf did very well in that regard as well.

The 02/03 reign team was competitive, but they had trouble scoring goals and their keeper missed a lot of games for ynt duty. Xf was a bit ahead, but all the games were competitive. For next year there was some movement back and forth between the two clubs, with some strong xf players moving to reign and a reign player moving to da. I’m sure each had their own reasons, but the oldest reign and xf teams both should be strong next year. Pretty sure no one from that reign team came from b or c teams or select, and if they did that would illustrate a problem with some club’s selection process.

Reign 04 was mostly the best players from old su Copa and old Eastside red, plus a few players from other clubs. The team qualified for nationals, won its group at nationals, and lost in the qf to the top ranked team. They finished ahead of xf. Xf was good too.

Da didn’t have standings or playoffs for 05’s. The xf team was probably a bit stronger than the reign team, but both teams were competitive with the stronger da teams and should continue to get better.

I’m not sure xf was more athletic than reign; I don’t think so in the two older age groups. Most of the xf coaches have a lot more experience coaching winning youth soccer teams, and that may have helped in game prep and in-game decisions and getting wins in a couple of the games. Xf also made a really big deal out of the reign “rivalry” games (giving players free shoes for winning, posting results of regular season game on their website, etc), whereas Reign seemed to treat the games as just another game. With more ynt players, reign was also more often missing some of their best players for some games.

I’m not sure how eagleclaw is in this conversation. They seem to do some decent technical training with ulittles, but they don’t field competitive girls teams.

Comment

This whole thread is a bit nutty and has a lot of misinformation. Reign is now entering its fourth year as a program, and over their first three years there have been significant changes of direction (ecnl to da, su partnership to su/eastside to Eastside only to independent, and now going on to a third td), but now seems to be on solid footing with its coaching staff and a broader overall program, the ability to offer the only DA program in the area, and the tie in to the pro team. Xf has been around forever, and while some top girls coaches like TR and RR moved elsewhere JB and WW have been around for a while now. Xf had a big head start over Reign in the relevant age groups, but Reign put together competitive teams and provided a competitive threat that probably pushed xf to make its own program better, which is good for the overall ecosystem.

Last year, the oldest DA team, 00/01, was thus comprised of players who joined the program sophomore year or later. The team was strong— was one of four teams competing for 3 playoff spots in their da division most of the year but didn’t get the results they needed in last few games. The players all came from ecnl or A teams. There was one playup for most of the year (an 03 cb who has been in the ynt pool). There were a couple ynt players who missed a lot of games for camps. They didn’t win any of their games against xf this year, but the games (except maybe one) were highly competitive. Xf definitely a bit stronger team, especially when their strong ecnl players and ynt playup played with the da team). Because of the ridiculousness with da and ecnl they never played pac or wpfc, but I’m sure those would have been good games. College placement-wise, the Reign team did very well— the graduating players are all playing in college, mostly d1 plus a couple at a strong d2 with program. Xf did very well in that regard as well.

The 02/03 reign team was competitive, but they had trouble scoring goals and their keeper missed a lot of games for ynt duty. Xf was a bit ahead, but all the games were competitive. For next year there was some movement back and forth between the two clubs, with some strong xf players moving to reign and a reign player moving to da. I’m sure each had their own reasons, but the oldest reign and xf teams both should be strong next year. Pretty sure no one from that reign team came from b or c teams or select, and if they did that would illustrate a problem with some club’s selection process.

Reign 04 was mostly the best players from old su Copa and old Eastside red, plus a few players from other clubs. The team qualified for nationals, won its group at nationals, and lost in the qf to the top ranked team. They finished ahead of xf. Xf was good too.

Da didn’t have standings or playoffs for 05’s. The xf team was probably a bit stronger than the reign team, but both teams were competitive with the stronger da teams and should continue to get better.

I’m not sure xf was more athletic than reign; I don’t think so in the two older age groups. Most of the xf coaches have a lot more experience coaching winning youth soccer teams, and that may have helped in game prep and in-game decisions and getting wins in a couple of the games. Xf also made a really big deal out of the reign “rivalry” games (giving players free shoes for winning, posting results of regular season game on their website, etc), whereas Reign seemed to treat the games as just another game. With more ynt players, reign was also more often missing some of their best players for some games.

I’m not sure how eagleclaw is in this conversation. They seem to do some decent technical training with ulittles, but they don’t field competitive girls teams.
                          OMG. The list of excuses so far:
                          1) The other teams more athletic, but Reign is more technical and tactical
                          2) Reign cares more about development
                          3) Reign plays their best kids up(as if other clubs don't)
                          4) Reign didn't take those games seriously
                          5) Other clubs offered incentives for winning
                          6) Other club coaches know how to win
                          7) Reign was missing players
                          8) ECNL knows how to win, GDA is about development

Please add some others to explain the miserable record. This is soooo laughable.

Comment

I wonder. Younger ages are much more open in terms of player movement between clubs before players are locked in. And pretty much every parent of a U little thinks their kid is the next great national team star. I think reign is likely to have their pick of strong younger players. But we'll see what happens
                            I agree ULittle parents move around alot which helps/hurts lots of teams and may or may not help the Reign. This is the first year for the PSPL based Reign teams and the 06 year DA though so they need a strong foothold to attract more kids next year. I can tell you with certainty that after their Discovery Days they sent out an enormous amount of offers to anyone and everyone to fill out their younger teams and had a large amount of rejections and kept going down the stack to get anyone they could to fill out those teams. By the end of the season it will be interesting to see the PSPL and DA scores come out and how the 06 and below perform.

Comment

The Reign DA program is terrible. I have no idea why anyone would send their daughter there.

Comment

Quit whining and just enjoy the time with your kids, winning or losing games doesn't define your life. Enjoy watching your kids play, enjoy the time you get to share on the ride home, enjoy the road trips, the bonding, the ability to be part of your Childs life and development far outweighs whatever 'willy waving' contest you may wish to get involved in. Before you know it, it will all be over and they will be moving out. Will you look back and wish you had played in the ECNL over the DA or vice versa? Or would you be more likely to wish you had more time with them?

This thread (and many others on this board) simply highlight the problems with youth sport across the board, and it has nothing to do with the kids. Zero, nada, zilchamundo.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X