Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New GDA Tier 1 & 2 Cup brackets

Am I missing something? Why no Portland Thorns?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I thought that was just the boys' DA that was being split into tiers. Hadn't heard anything about the girls; there's not enough girls clubs to make that worthwhile.

Comment

I thought that was just the boys' DA that was being split into tiers. Hadn't heard anything about the girls; there's not enough girls clubs to make that worthwhile.
      It’s not a full split. Just for the season ending “cup,” because if there’s one thing youth soccer needs it’s another championship.

The statement from GDA said all clubs are included in the cup. But thorns are not in any of the brackets which was the OP’s point.

Thorns opted out. Either because they didn’t want to spend the money to send their teams or because they knew they wouldn’t be competitive.

Comment

https://www.soccerwire.com/news/groups-and-schedule-set-for-inaugural-girls-da-cup/

https://www.soccerwire.com/news/grou...-girls-da-cup/

Very strange. Do not see Thorns Academy listed at all. It says all clubs so they should be in the bottom tier somewhere. Is it a mistake or is it because of the players that ditched the Thorns to play high school? Reign is in the cup.

Comment

Thorns are tier 3.

Comment

https://www.soccerwire.com/news/grou...-girls-da-cup/

Very strange. Do not see Thorns Academy listed at all. It says all clubs so they should be in the bottom tier somewhere. Is it a mistake or is it because of the players that ditched the Thorns to play high school? Reign is in the cup.
            If Thorns are going against GDA rules and allowing public high school play, then maybe they were banned from the GDA Cup?

Comment

If Thorns are going against GDA rules and allowing public high school play, then maybe they were banned from the GDA Cup?
              They got bigger problems - keeping players and coaches. Its August and already 1 head coach has quit?

Comment

Which coach has left?

Comment

They got bigger problems - keeping players and coaches. Its August and already 1 head coach has quit?
                  Do they have enough players to field older teams if they are allowing all the girls to play high school soccer?

Comment

Which coach has left?
                    If I heard correctly the 2005 coach.

Comment

How did try outs go? Did they get enough to fill rosters? Is that the problem?

Comment

The boys split is a legit one just for U19s, but it's also a one year trial. The other ages they're manipulating schedules so that weaker clubs play far fewer MLS teams than they did in the past. MLS clubs are tired of wasting time with useless unbalanced 5-0 games. They were threatening to pull out so this is USSFs stop gap measure to keep them happy.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X