Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foreign players in college soccer

Looking at a number of college rosters (men) and seeing a large number of playets from europe, africa and south america. I played in college 25 years ago, it was a rare occurrence back then, now it seems more prevalent.
    Am I wrong?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Looking at a number of college rosters (men) and seeing a large number of playets from europe, africa and south america. I played in college 25 years ago, it was a rare occurrence back then, now it seems more prevalent.
    Am I wrong?
    Obviously you haven't looked at any rosters in many years. It's grown a great deal, especially on the men's side but it's growing for the women as well.

Comment

Am I wrong?
      My college team 28 years ago had the following on the roster:

Canada
      Bermuda
      Sweden
      Ireland
      Great Britain (3)
      Jamaica
      Spain

About half the roster.

Comment

Obviously you haven't looked at any rosters in many years. It's grown a great deal, especially on the men's side but it's growing for the women as well.
        Men's D1 (especially Top 100) are ~40% are international...and usually in the 20-22 year old range. This puts the 18 year old US kid at a disadvantage.

Comment

My college team 28 years ago had the following on the roster:

Canada
          Bermuda
          Sweden
          Ireland
          Great Britain (3)
          Jamaica
          Spain

About half the roster.
          Not the thread op, and yes there's always been an element of it. But I think it's more common now than before. Some D2 rosters are almost exclusively international. D3 has almost none because there's no athletic scholarships and admissions requirements are less flexible.

Comment

It is trickling down to the prep school ranks, (Jack Harrison, anyone?). Besides African players there are many from Europe and South America.

Comment

Men's D1 (especially Top 100) are ~40% are international...and usually in the 20-22 year old range. This puts the 18 year old US kid at a disadvantage.
              It's why if you're not top DA or have an international passport the likelihood of landing a top college program isn't great for US men. On the women's side with so many more women's program and scholarships and fewer international players DA isn't a necessity

Comment

It is trickling down to the prep school ranks, (Jack Harrison, anyone?). Besides African players there are many from Europe and South America.
                the top prep programs have loads of RTD kids

Comment

Not the thread op, and yes there's always been an element of it. But I think it's more common now than before. Some D2 rosters are almost exclusively international. D3 has almost none because there's no athletic scholarships and admissions requirements are less flexible.
                  Won't knowingly comment if it's increasing (but I do believe it is with no evidence).

Only commenting that almost 3 decades ago half our roster was foreign.

Comment

the top prep programs have loads of RTD kids
                    I wouldn't say "loads", there are only so many RTD kids available. Top programs have one, or maybe two. However there are lots of other African players, particularly from Senegal and Nigeria.

Comment

I have news for you, im seeing a good number on D3 mens rosters now.

Comment

I have news for you, im seeing a good number on D3 mens rosters now.
                        Not so much. For the most part a D3 international player either needs to get a ton of merit$ or have rich parents. They do not qualify for federal loans or grants. In many countries you can attend college for nearly free so why come to the US to pay $60K a year and play poor quality soccer?

% International Players Men/Women http://scholarshipstats.com/soccer.html

NCAA I Teams 16.0% 6.2%
                        NCAA II Teams 20.7% 5.1%
                        NCAA III Teams 2.8% 0.4%

Comment

It's why if you're not top DA or have an international passport the likelihood of landing a top college program isn't great for US men
                          How does an international passport help a US resident/citizen when it comes to college soccer?

Comment

How does an international passport help a US resident/citizen when it comes to college soccer?
                            Or did I misread - did you mean DA or players coming from an international country?

Comment

Better D1 = top US DA players + international players

If you're not one of those the odds of playing top D1 are greatly diminished

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X