Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is Florida soccer so bad

I have been all over this country and hands down the worst soccer I have ever seen is in this state. Kids have no vision and zero concept of how the game is played.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I have been all over this country and hands down the worst soccer I have ever seen is in this state. Kids have no vision and zero concept of how the game is played.
    Thanks for your opinion. We will change it as soon as possible.

Comment

Florida soccer is horrible. The clubs for the most part are more interested in making $$$, winning games to get more kids and make more $$$$, and making a "super club," i.e. FESA, FKK, etc... There are no way enough quality coaches available for the amount of kids playing soccer, so most coaches are ill-prepared to teach any fundamental points of soccer. So, what they do, and what clubs dictate they do, is just try and win games by any means possible. The easiest way to win 60-70% of your games is to simply pick the biggest, strongest kids (especially for girls soccer), and direct them to kick it straight down the field to their biggest kid, to try and outmuscle the defenders for a goal. You keep this strategy up for 60-90 minutes per game, against teams without a solid defense, you are bound to score a goal or 2. The big kids on defense are so physical they can knock people off the ball, and strong enough to kick it 50 yards. It's not pretty, looks nothing like soccer played in the countries, but its the American way, which is why US soccer is behind in many regards. Most teams in FL are average, so this works, though against the few skilled teams in FL and states outside, this does not work, which is why FL teams don't compete well nationally. Clubs don't try and develop all players, only the big ones, so if your kid is a slow grower, you might want to try a different sport in this country, cause coaches don't look for individual skill and talent, primarily size. So, the skilled players leave the sport, the overgrown kids stay, never learn skills because they've always relied on size, and once challenged, they have no technical skills to fall back on. It's like groundhogs day with every club i have visited, always the same thing, SAD...............

Comment

Clueless Coaches

Comment

Because your kid sucks.

Comment

Florida soccer is horrible. The clubs for the most part are more interested in making $$$, winning games to get more kids and make more $$$$, and making a "super club," i.e. FESA, FKK, etc... There are no way enough quality coaches available for the amount of kids playing soccer, so most coaches are ill-prepared to teach any fundamental points of soccer. So, what they do, and what clubs dictate they do, is just try and win games by any means possible. The easiest way to win 60-70% of your games is to simply pick the biggest, strongest kids (especially for girls soccer), and direct them to kick it straight down the field to their biggest kid, to try and outmuscle the defenders for a goal. You keep this strategy up for 60-90 minutes per game, against teams without a solid defense, you are bound to score a goal or 2. The big kids on defense are so physical they can knock people off the ball, and strong enough to kick it 50 yards. It's not pretty, looks nothing like soccer played in the countries, but its the American way, which is why US soccer is behind in many regards. Most teams in FL are average, so this works, though against the few skilled teams in FL and states outside, this does not work, which is why FL teams don't compete well nationally. Clubs don't try and develop all players, only the big ones, so if your kid is a slow grower, you might want to try a different sport in this country, cause coaches don't look for individual skill and talent, primarily size. So, the skilled players leave the sport, the overgrown kids stay, never learn skills because they've always relied on size, and once challenged, they have no technical skills to fall back on. It's like groundhogs day with every club i have visited, always the same thing, SAD...............
            I’ll put it another way, there’s absolutely no culture for the game in the US and a lot of phoney pretend coaches have figured out a way to make a lot of money off the backs of the parents and players. Just so happens that Florida is one of the biggest culprits for this. It will never change as long as they charge money to play.

Comment

I’ll put it another way, there’s absolutely no culture for the game in the US and a lot of phoney pretend coaches have figured out a way to make a lot of money off the backs of the parents and players. Just so happens that Florida is one of the biggest culprits for this. It will never change as long as they charge money to play.
              parents get conditioned to view it as "competition" at a young age. they get out there and play 60 games per year at 8, 9, 10 years old, before they are even ready to. before they have any control over the ball and little understanding of the game. this just continues as they get older and the games are all karate kicks and ping pong b/c kids never developed technically at the younger ages and cannot put the ball on the ground and play.

it starts as young as u6. you have parents screaming at their kids to score goals and win little mini-matches.

if you don't have a technical base, it is a sloppy mess and that's what it is in this state (95% of time)

Comment

You're not wrong.

Comment

parents get conditioned to view it as "competition" at a young age. they get out there and play 60 games per year at 8, 9, 10 years old, before they are even ready to. before they have any control over the ball and little understanding of the game. this just continues as they get older and the games are all karate kicks and ping pong b/c kids never developed technically at the younger ages and cannot put the ball on the ground and play.

it starts as young as u6. you have parents screaming at their kids to score goals and win little mini-matches.

if you don't have a technical base, it is a sloppy mess and that's what it is in this state (95% of time)
                  Very true, games look like a pinball machine even at the older ages as the ball just bounces off players. Most youth players couldn’t trap a bag of wet concrete due to not being developed technically as clubs like to win games.

Comment

Bingo you nailed it! But why w so many people from soccer playing countries is this going on

Comment

Bingo you nailed it! But why w so many people from soccer playing countries is this going on
                      most people in south fl no matter where from will not drive more than 20 minutes to get to practice. because of traffic that makes everyone hostage to their local club. when the local club does not provide the basics, they do not want to travel maybe 45 mins to a better situation. prefer to complain about the local club, to absolutely no end result, ever. 3 or 4 years can go flying by in this situation and before you know it the formative years have come and gone. i think this is pretty common. yes, people know better, but mostly they don't want to go out of their way for their kid to improve.

with latin americans also the soccer gets mixed up with social life and makes "cold" decisions that are better for your kid harder to make.

Comment

most people in south fl no matter where from will not drive more than 20 minutes to get to practice. because of traffic that makes everyone hostage to their local club. when the local club does not provide the basics, they do not want to travel maybe 45 mins to a better situation. prefer to complain about the local club, to absolutely no end result, ever. 3 or 4 years can go flying by in this situation and before you know it the formative years have come and gone. i think this is pretty common. yes, people know better, but mostly they don't want to go out of their way for their kid to improve.

with latin americans also the soccer gets mixed up with social life and makes "cold" decisions that are better for your kid harder to make.
                        We picked our neighborhood because of the local elementary school and then having a soccer club nearby. I can’t begin to add up all of the hours in travel we have saved.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X