Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    They're all a business. Never ever forget it.
    Seems like a good biz too from the look of it. Why else is there a big new thing cropping up every other season? There must be money to be made and lots of it.

Comment

They're all a business. Never ever forget it.

No Sh%t there all business. They are in the business of winning and that attracts top talent. They sell the dream and people buy it because JD has delivered. Multiple US players and many a D1 scholarship.

Comment

No Sh%t there all business. They are in the business of winning and that attracts top talent. They sell the dream and people buy it because JD has delivered. Multiple US players and many a D1 scholarship.
        I thought Youth Soccer was about developing?

I don't see anyone begruding JD. Kudos to him.

Let's just be honest about it.

Comment

Most large clubs have US players and D1 players that's the obvious statement .......it's sold to the Stars Rovers teams all money there just check the tax returns.......lot of dough being made

Comment

Most large clubs have US players and D1 players that's the obvious statement .......it's sold to the Stars Rovers teams all money there just check the tax returns.......lot of dough being made
            No it's not - unless you are a parent who is crazy. I hate, absolutely hate, this mindset that clubs shouldn't have lower level teams because they are just there to make money. Sure they make money but is your assertion that lower level kids shouldn't be allowed to play club soccer? It's an absurd sentiment.

Comment

No it's not - unless you are a parent who is crazy. I hate, absolutely hate, this mindset that clubs shouldn't have lower level teams because they are just there to make money. Sure they make money but is your assertion that lower level kids shouldn't be allowed to play club soccer? It's an absurd sentiment.
              This also grates on me.

Soccer is a game that everyone, at all levels and incomes, can play. Why eliminate some kids from learning the game, loving the game, and passing that onto their kids? Too shortsighted.

Also, some kids who start late are turned away and miss the boat. If my club didn't have a low-level team, my kid would've turned to cheerleading instead of gradually improving and playing in college.

As bad as soccer parents are, at least I can enjoy the game. Cheerleading? OMFGahd!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

This also grates on me.

Soccer is a game that everyone, at all levels and incomes, can play. Why eliminate some kids from learning the game, loving the game, and passing that onto their kids? Too shortsighted.

Also, some kids who start late are turned away and miss the boat. If my club didn't have a low-level team, my kid would've turned to cheerleading instead of gradually improving and playing in college.

As bad as soccer parents are, at least I can enjoy the game. Cheerleading? OMFGahd!!!!!!!!!!
                More importantly, B and C teams are like farm teams ..... you cant pick the top 11 at 6 years old although some will try to make you believe that they can. By giving every kid a place to learn the game at their own pace and the hope and drive to move up, you are training lots of kids and can sort them out as you need to every year or so as improvements and development happen (or don't).

Comment

Mostly true. I believe quality players will be found.

I have also filled out applications and when it chose the club, only DA clubs were listed. Yes, I could fill in "other".
                  And 4 or 5 years ago, every recruiting questionnaire listed ODP on it, as if only kids that were playing ODP had the right credentials. We ignored it then, just as you can ignore the DA silliness now...providing your kid can really play and you can find a way to demonstrate that to the coaches you're targeting.

Comment

More importantly, B and C teams are like farm teams ..... you cant pick the top 11 at 6 years old although some will try to make you believe that they can. By giving every kid a place to learn the game at their own pace and the hope and drive to move up, you are training lots of kids and can sort them out as you need to every year or so as improvements and development happen (or don't).
                    Totally agree. I know it's an unpopular view around here but our kid got better every year and team placement reflected that. If there were no lower level teams our child wouldn't be on the highest level team today because there would have been no team to put the kid on 5 years ago!

So I am grateful that clubs keep the lower level teams around. Yes, I realize I was paying for "not the best team" why is that such a crime? It was still better than town soccer because there was a path for improvement.

Comment

This also grates on me.

Problems arise with how some clubs manage A/B/C teams (some don't do it well; politics and parents can get ugly) what kind of player pool there is in the area (it's not that big generally) and who their competitors are trying to get the same players. If they can't field quality teams for the leagues the teams play in they shouldn't field them. But they do, and that's where the discontent comes into play.

Comment

Totally agree. I know it's an unpopular view around here but our kid got better every year and team placement reflected that. If there were no lower level teams our child wouldn't be on the highest level team today because there would have been no team to put the kid on 5 years ago!

So I am grateful that clubs keep the lower level teams around. Yes, I realize I was paying for "not the best team" why is that such a crime? It was still better than town soccer because there was a path for improvement.
                        Same with my kid. I still think she learned more about the game on her B team when she was U11 and U12 than anywhere else. She had a great coach and she hated losing ..... she had to work harder and smarter on that team or they would have got beat worse than they often did. More importantly, she gained so much confidence there as a player and as a team leader. THAT never went away.

Comment

Problems arise with how some clubs manage A/B/C teams (some don't do it well; politics and parents can get ugly) what kind of player pool there is in the area (it's not that big generally) and who their competitors are trying to get the same players. If they can't field quality teams for the leagues the teams play in they shouldn't field them. But they do, and that's where the discontent comes into play.
                          Ok now I see, because the teams aren't that talented they may lose, a lot, so they should not be playing.

Ahem, foolish again.

Comment

Ecnl and DA everything else no chance.

Comment

When we first joined club soccer we had two offers, one for a top team and one for a B/C team. My kid chose the B/C team and worked up to a team that would smoke the top team from the other club (please don't harass me for this, we have friends on the team and know the talent quite well). My kid knew that if that second club was offering her a top spot they didn't have great players and she wanted to play with great players.

So I also support the lower level team concept. With a lot of hard work mine is playing at the top level and quite happy.

Comment

Ecnl and DA everything else no chance.
                                Chance of what? What on earth are you talking about?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X