Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

United PDX Futsal Money grab

Hopefully the parents at United PDX see the money grab that they are pulling when it comes to futsal. Intead of having parents who want to play pay what it actually costs, they are having them pay a flat 125.00 fee. 125.00 would be enough to cover the fees for a 6 player team, but they say theres 10 players per team, so expect them to try to fill those numbers. On top of that they are asking for "volunteer coaches" so they don't even have to pay coaches to do it (because coaches know this is there time off). This is what gives club soccer a bad name. its this sort of stuff that makes parents from the outside say its all about the money.

Just do some simple math. Futsal for club was only costing 680.00 if you registered through your club. for 10 player team that should only be 68/player. For every player that they have on a 10 player team there club is profiting 57 dollars. If they have 9 players its roughly 76/player and they make 49 dollars. for 8 players on a team its 85/player and they make 40 dollars.

Last I was told they were talking about 500+ futsal players signed up in there club. That means at worst they are pocketing 20k and at best 28,500 (thats only multiplying by 500, they are actually making more than those numbers one way or another.

Oh my God are you suggesting these clubs are revenue engines rather than good soccer clubs? I'm shook.

Comment

I understand every club needs to make enough money in order to function properly. And It takes money for turf/fields, coaches, registration fees, ect. And I think for the most part most clubs are pretty fair in most of this (and I know this is a huge argument as well, but I'll leave it out of this for now). In this situation though its pretty black and white. This is for 1 thing, and the prices aren't a secret, they are out there. If I was on one of there teams that has a 10 person roster, I would be pretty upset knowing that in other clubs they have a 10 person roster for 50 bucks cheaper, all because their club wants to make money off them.

Comment

The 2 united futsal teams I am familiar with each have 7 players each - pretty good deal for $125.

I would complain to the coach; depending on the age-group they setup the rosters. 10 players per team is lame.

Comment

Good lord.

This is a club that touts vacation trips to Spain, and you're worried about subsidizing your kid's teammates' futsal?

At many clubs, activities deemed "mandatory" that aren't covered by club dues, are split evenly among the team, even if one player cannot participate. Futsal is this way at many clubs--it's a team expense, so everyone chips in.

Otherwise, half the team backs out of a tourney or other event, to avoid paying--and as a result, the team can't go. Especially a problem if, like most tourneys or leagues, teams have to pay in advance and can't get refunds.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
            The 2 united futsal teams I am familiar with each have 7 players each - pretty good deal for $125.

I would complain to the coach; depending on the age-group they setup the rosters. 10 players per team is lame.
            7-8 is ideal size for a futsal roster; 9 max (so you can platoon-sub the field players; goalies don't need to be subbed).

10 is a bit excessive.

Comment

I love the smell of dirty laundry on a crisp fall morning

Comment

Complaint wasn’t from a parent; someone trying to stir stuff up.

Comment

Complaint wasn’t from a parent; someone trying to stir stuff up.
                  If it’s true though it’s bullish!t

Comment

7-8 is ideal size for a futsal roster; 9 max (so you can platoon-sub the field players; goalies don't need to be subbed).

10 is a bit excessive.
                    If you play futsal the way it was meant to be played then 10 players is fine. It is supposed to be fast paced with subs always going in and out.

The way most people play which is more like 5v5 soccer than real futsal, then 10 is too many.

Many younger players play multi sports so on any given weekend, you may be missing 1-3 players.

Comment

If it’s true though it’s bullish!t
                      If a bunch of illegals voted in Arizona that would also be bullsh!t if true.

But its not true.

Besides number of players per team, calculation is off because it doesn't take into account:

Credit Card Processing
                      Credit Loss (some families don't pay all of their dues)
                      Scholarship (some kids can't afford the fees and ask for a waiver)
                      Overhead (lots of work for registrar to manage 500 players)

Each of those by themselves is not huge, but it adds up.

Futsal has never been a money maker for the club. If the fees are a problem, families can submit a scholarship application here: http://unitedpdx.com/wp-content/uplo...ce-Request.pdf

Surprised anyone would have an issue with a club placing 500 kids in futsal; would seem to be helping the sport.

Comment

a 7 player team should cost about 98/player. So still not a great deal.

Comment

can't you just organize and enter your own team for $680?

Comment

Futsal has never been a money maker for the club.

until NOW 💰💰💰

Comment

can't you just organize and enter your own team for $680?
                              Yes - looked into - easier to run through club at a slightly higher cost.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X