Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peace

Can we please all get along in here. So much anger on this forum. Most of these kids playing ECNL, RCL(division 1), PSPL are not going to play professional or college ball!

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Can we please all get along in here. So much anger on this forum. Most of these kids playing ECNL, RCL(division 1), PSPL are not going to play professional or college ball!
      This thread veered off topic...

I've only heard rumblings from boys younger HS side at Seattle United. Not happy with coaches and they way they coach.

Comment

Reading these boards it's awfully hard not to get the impression a lot of this is simply the parents wanting their kid to be the star on a team. Any team. If they're not at this club we'll go to this club. If they're not at that club we'll got to that club. If they're not the star then, unquestionably, there's something wrong with the Coach, club, or board (or all three).
        Yes, there's some of that. But I have seen a lot with multiple kids playing for various clubs. All I want is for my kids to be coached by someone who is not an *******. Who wants to see every kid on the team improve and succeed, and knows how to adapt to different personalities. Who doesn't play favorites. Who isn't racist or a sexist. Who communicates clearly with kids about how they can improve without demeaning them. Who doesn't send parents 2K word emails after every game, but doesn't completely shut out parents either. Who is honest about where things stand before tryouts instead of hedging bets for the club. Who actually enjoys being around kids and understands they are kids.

Anytime my kids had a coach that hit most of those marks, they succeeded on a team.

I'm sure all coaches want is to deal with parents who aren't *******s. It's a two-way street.

Comment

Yes, there's some of that. But I have seen a lot with multiple kids playing for various clubs. All I want is for my kids to be coached by someone who is not an *******. Who wants to see every kid on the team improve and succeed, and knows how to adapt to different personalities. Who doesn't play favorites. Who isn't racist or a sexist. Who communicates clearly with kids about how they can improve without demeaning them. Who doesn't send parents 2K word emails after every game, but doesn't completely shut out parents either. Who is honest about where things stand before tryouts instead of hedging bets for the club. Who actually enjoys being around kids and understands they are kids.

Anytime my kids had a coach that hit most of those marks, they succeeded on a team.

I'm sure all coaches want is to deal with parents who aren't *******s. It's a two-way street.
          Word!

Comment

Then why are the parents spending 5k-10k a year if the chances are very slim?
            Do they not realize the small odds are do they feel it is worth a shot?

Comment

Then why are the parents spending 5k-10k a year if the chances are very slim?
              Do they not realize the small odds are do they feel it is worth a shot?
              FOMO/Keeping up with the Joneses.

For those that realize it and have the disposable income, it’s not a huge deal. The real travesty are your families making real sacrifices so their kids can play so called “elite” soccer but don’t understand the realities because they are, essentially, being lied to by a bunch of coaches and directors wearing track suits.

I would argue for girls, it isn’t “worth a shot” for almost any player; likely under 100 in the entire country. Boys have a little bit better prospects, but not a lot, given that they could be the 5000th best player in the world and still make a livable wage.

Comment

For those that realize it and have the disposable income, it’s not a huge deal. The real travesty are your families making real sacrifices so their kids can play so called “elite” soccer but don’t understand the realities because they are, essentially, being lied to by a bunch of coaches and directors wearing track suits.

I would argue for girls, it isn’t “worth a shot” for almost any player; likely under 100 in the entire country. Boys have a little bit better prospects, but not a lot, given that they could be the 5000th best player in the world and still make a livable wage.
                A shot at playing in college (let alone pro) isn’t a sufficient reason to spend all that money on soccer. Most kids keep doing it because they love it, and most parents just keep supporting them in whatever they love to do.

But those numbers are wildly off and understate the likelihood of playing in college. The vast majority of ECNL and DA players historically have ended up playing in college, as have top players on top RCL 1 teams (with ECNL expansion the percentages will likely go down a bit). In D1 alone there are 314 programs, and most of those programs have 14 scholarships that are split across their rosters, so there are a couple thousand spots in D1 each year, and thousands more between D2, D3 and NAIA. There are fewer college programs for boys, but there are still a lot.

Comment

Your math is way off on HS girls playing college ball. Closer to 9% HS girls end up playing in college D1-3. Facts readily available online.
                  % of US High School Soccer Players competing at any College Level men 7.3% women 9.3%

Regarding the lies...Maybe not flat out lied to, but practicing what they are preaching?

Eastside FC
                  Putting Players First
                  We take pride in the quality of our coaching, our strong links to Washington’s professional soccer community, the number of our players who move on to the college game and who get access to national team opportunities, and our history of developing youth players who play great soccer.

Yea No, not so much. Being a donor, fitting the "Eastside" mold goes far here for promotions to the A and ECNL teams. One of the few clubs that doesnt have a diversity policy. Old school coaching philosophies run deep here. Great fields, low stress. Your kids won't come home too tired.

Crossfire
                  The Mission of Crossfire Premier is to promote the game of soccer by providing the highest possible level of technical and tactical training, skill development and competitive team play, and to provide highly skilled and capable players with an opportunity to further excel in the sport.

Crossfire Premier has produced hundreds of players currently playing for NCAA Division I, II and III colleges, U.S. Soccer Youth National Team Programs, and on to professional careers in the U.S. and European leagues.

Maybe more true than false. They don't seem to be claiming to be warm and cuddly. Be prepared for your kids to be yelled at. Same coaching complaints that are raised at most clubs. Their coaches tend to be recent players pro and college. Your kids may be stressed out here if they aren't used to the ultra competitive environment. Over-training is a possiblity.

Seattle United
                  Seattle United provides a competitive youth soccer program that inspires players to develop to their highest potential, and experience the rewards of pursuing excellence, teamwork, and sportsmanship.

They also aren't claiming to be the warm and cuddly savior of kids sports. No designated fields, be prepared to drive from one end of Seattle to the next depending on field availability.
                  I dont have an opinion on the quality of coaching, but they seem to have a lock on top player talent. Maybe someelse can chime in.

Comment

I can only speak for our player. She's always loved soccer (both her sisters played and she, literally, grew up with a ball at her feet) and has always worked hard and trained with multiple teams (her sisters teams.....) because she loved it. She outgrew rec (she'd smoke everyone even though she was playing a couple years "up"), she outgrew the limited competition in the RCL (only a few strong teams and the limited effort/commitment of some of her teammates), and she's been playing ECNL for four years now. And, yes, we simply support her in whatever we can. If she earns it we'll try and find a way to fund it, I've told the kids. In all honesty, she loves training and playing in the ECNL. Not because she's betting on a scholarship to college (though we both hope for one and she does have schools talking to her.........…) but because she actually really enjoys the higher level of competition (both in training and in matches), the fact she gets to play all over the continental US against players as good and as committed as she is, and she gets to train with players as competitive and committed as she is. I figure, with all the training and travel, it's giving her good prep on juggling life/work/school for what it'll be like for her in college (regardless if she plays or not) as she's been working about 15 hours a week for a couple years, taking a few AP courses in school, and hitting the pitch on the regular (practice fields are about 1.25 hours each way....). I won't lie, we've had to scrimp a bit, financially, to foot that ECNL bill but we look at it from the experience she's getting. I mean, I would've loved to travel all over the place competing at the highest level when I was her age. Right? Who wouldn't? It's been fun for her and, I think, "paid" off in a much more ingrained and solid work ethic than many folks (including adults!) have. I don't think anything comes easy at that level. You honestly have to work for it and keep working for it to get play time. Cool thing is that she still really enjoys the game and looks forward to it (training, travel, and matches)! There's your "feel good" message of the day, Talking-soccer.com peeps! Soccer can be fun! Remember that.

Comment

I can only speak for our player. She's always loved soccer (both her sisters played and she, literally, grew up with a ball at her feet) and has always worked hard and trained with multiple teams (her sisters teams.....) because she loved it. She outgrew rec (she'd smoke everyone even though she was playing a couple years "up"), she outgrew the limited competition in the RCL (only a few strong teams and the limited effort/commitment of some of her teammates), and she's been playing ECNL for four years now. And, yes, we simply support her in whatever we can. If she earns it we'll try and find a way to fund it, I've told the kids. In all honesty, she loves training and playing in the ECNL. Not because she's betting on a scholarship to college (though we both hope for one and she does have schools talking to her.........…) but because she actually really enjoys the higher level of competition (both in training and in matches), the fact she gets to play all over the continental US against players as good and as committed as she is, and she gets to train with players as competitive and committed as she is. I figure, with all the training and travel, it's giving her good prep on juggling life/work/school for what it'll be like for her in college (regardless if she plays or not) as she's been working about 15 hours a week for a couple years, taking a few AP courses in school, and hitting the pitch on the regular (practice fields are about 1.25 hours each way....). I won't lie, we've had to scrimp a bit, financially, to foot that ECNL bill but we look at it from the experience she's getting. I mean, I would've loved to travel all over the place competing at the highest level when I was her age. Right? Who wouldn't? It's been fun for her and, I think, "paid" off in a much more ingrained and solid work ethic than many folks (including adults!) have. I don't think anything comes easy at that level. You honestly have to work for it and keep working for it to get play time. Cool thing is that she still really enjoys the game and looks forward to it (training, travel, and matches)! There's your "feel good" message of the day, Talking-soccer.com peeps! Soccer can be fun! Remember that.
                      I have similar motivations for paying all this money for kids sports. They love it. I am not planning on my kids getting a scholarship out of it. Other's have shared their estimates on the cost of a year of ECNL, would you mind sharing what it costs you for a year of fees and travel? Have heard wide estimates on this forum. Thanks!

Comment

I have similar motivations for paying all this money for kids sports. They love it. I am not planning on my kids getting a scholarship out of it. Other's have shared their estimates on the cost of a year of ECNL, would you mind sharing what it costs you for a year of fees and travel? Have heard wide estimates on this forum. Thanks!
                        The first year, when we were handed the budget for the year, I literally had one of those almost out of body "movie" moments. You know, where the camera pans out really fast but, somehow, keeps focused on the actors face? Typically, it happens when the actor/character has this life threatening realization or something? That's how it felt when I saw just what the financial implications of what my daughter had "earned" would be! In all honesty, I had never heard of ECNL prior to her trying out and had absolutely no clue how much travel or expense it would be. I'd be lying if I didn't say a 2k infusion/gift from my parents didn't help us immensely that first year. Enough narrative, I'm over the shock now but the fees still genuinely hurt (after a few years we've learned to integrate the damage). It's been in the realm of 6 to 7k in travel and other fees. This DOES NOT include the club fees (about $2,500 or so), uniform, etc. Add to that the fact we're 1.25 hours from the fields (on a good day, without traffic) so I estimate about $30 a week in gas (or more). So, yearly, I estimate our family has spent in the realm of $9,500 to $10,000 a year on this. Maybe a little more. It pains me to type that number. However, I'd contrast that number with what we payed for a few years of Competetive RCL, about, 4,000 - 5,000 a year after team fees, travel, entry fees, and gas are factored in. I'd actually say ECNL has been a better deal in our players experience. She may have actually quit competitive soccer because she was getting quite bored playing the same teams, having the same partially committed teammates, etc. It quite being the challenge that it was. Well, ECNL provided that and then some. I'll admit I never, ever, in one billion years, thought we'd be paying that much for soccer. And, I was wrong, she's been in ECNL for three years, not four! As beastly a financial and time commitment as it's been I really wouldn't change anything. It's been very good for her confidence, her play, her time management ability, etc.

Comment

The first year, when we were handed the budget for the year, I literally had one of those almost out of body "movie" moments. You know, where the camera pans out really fast but, somehow, keeps focused on the actors face? Typically, it happens when the actor/character has this life threatening realization or something? That's how it felt when I saw just what the financial implications of what my daughter had "earned" would be! In all honesty, I had never heard of ECNL prior to her trying out and had absolutely no clue how much travel or expense it would be. I'd be lying if I didn't say a 2k infusion/gift from my parents didn't help us immensely that first year. Enough narrative, I'm over the shock now but the fees still genuinely hurt (after a few years we've learned to integrate the damage). It's been in the realm of 6 to 7k in travel and other fees. This DOES NOT include the club fees (about $2,500 or so), uniform, etc. Add to that the fact we're 1.25 hours from the fields (on a good day, without traffic) so I estimate about $30 a week in gas (or more). So, yearly, I estimate our family has spent in the realm of $9,500 to $10,000 a year on this. Maybe a little more. It pains me to type that number. However, I'd contrast that number with what we payed for a few years of Competetive RCL, about, 4,000 - 5,000 a year after team fees, travel, entry fees, and gas are factored in. I'd actually say ECNL has been a better deal in our players experience. She may have actually quit competitive soccer because she was getting quite bored playing the same teams, having the same partially committed teammates, etc. It quite being the challenge that it was. Well, ECNL provided that and then some. I'll admit I never, ever, in one billion years, thought we'd be paying that much for soccer. And, I was wrong, she's been in ECNL for three years, not four! As beastly a financial and time commitment as it's been I really wouldn't change anything. It's been very good for her confidence, her play, her time management ability, etc.
                          Real talk right here. Thanks for sharing. It still is way too expensive in my opinion.

Comment

Ha! "Real" talk. I'm not sure I've ever been accused of that! Verbose, yes most certainly! I'd add that my daughter, often times, pays for her own extras when she's traveling (if she wants a shirt or something from the event or from a place they visit, if she wants something outside of what the club offers) because she knows the financial stress it puts on us. We really appreciate that but I tell her, in all honesty, if our biggest financial "stress" or concern is paying for her ridiculously priced soccer then life's gotta be pretty dang good.

Comment

Who said the club needs to set up god damned pickup games!?! They're PICKUP games! Set 'em up yourself with your kid and their friends! Do you folks honestly rely on the club for everything!?! Take some initiative and get out and play! That's where the most progression occurs anyway (when done in concert with regimined training). Ripping on a guy for simply asserting many soccer parents are, many times, a bit diluted! Are you kidding?
                              Hey dumb ass, I quote: “taking them to pickup sessions with their coach and fellow players”

Thanks for your insightful post

Comment

Ha! "Real" talk. I'm not sure I've ever been accused of that! Verbose, yes most certainly! I'd add that my daughter, often times, pays for her own extras when she's traveling (if she wants a shirt or something from the event or from a place they visit, if she wants something outside of what the club offers) because she knows the financial stress it puts on us. We really appreciate that but I tell her, in all honesty, if our biggest financial "stress" or concern is paying for her ridiculously priced soccer then life's gotta be pretty dang good.
                                Thanks for sharing. I know parents in your similar situation across many clubs where paying for club soccer is difficult and time consuming for the entire family. They are also cite fun and experience as the main motivators. But also, casually mention that they are talking with coaches for college ball. Perhaps, for false modesty or potential face saving if things don't go according to plan.

I could never directly ask them why do this if athletic scholarship isn't a goal. I would think that putting in $10k into a college fund, join a local select level team for fun and experience, play hs soccer, and do very well in hs to get academic scholarships would be the smart thing to do. Spending $10k a year and 4hr a day (2.5 hr of traveling and 1.5 hr of practice) x 3-4 times a week seem big investments for fun.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X