Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PSA and PFC

Moving to the area soon and researching teams. What’s the deal with Princeton Soccer Academy and Princeton Football Club? I’ve seen the other posts on here about PSA but nothing about PFC. It seems PSA are in multiple places. I’ve got a daughter and son, but I don’t want to travel tons for practice until they’re older. Any insight into the differences?

Where exactly are you moving from?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Moving to the area soon and researching teams. What’s the deal with Princeton Soccer Academy and Princeton Football Club? I’ve seen the other posts on here about PSA but nothing about PFC. It seems PSA are in multiple places. I’ve got a daughter and son, but I don’t want to travel tons for practice until they’re older. Any insight into the differences?
      PSA = Princeton Soccer Association

They changed their name to Princeton Soccer Academy a year ago, and began using reserves to acquire clubs like SDFC (Montclair area), Wildcats (Long Branch area in Monmouth county by shore), Sportika (Monroe area). Before that, there was PSA North, Central and South, and they were trying to expand.

Naturally, PSA charges more, so the local talent goes to PFC.

PFC has their own coaches, and their fees are at a 25-30% discount over PSA.

PSA is ultra-competitive, and everyone pays over $3,000, but every player plays a different amount of games. If you are a very nice and good player, they will bring you to tournaments with lower level teams to help the lower level teams win tournaments.

It’s nice to win, but that good player on the field is taking another player’s spot.

PSA coaches are employed by ATSC, which is another of John Newman’s companies.

It’s all a business for John. For example, with COVID-19, they gave no refunds, and filed PPP for ATSC, PSA, and other clubs they acquired.

Like other companies like GPS, the PSA coaches in ATSC are paid pennies, have poor living conditions, and have immigration issues.

John Newman has a ton of lawsuits pending on his businesses. He is known to accuse former coaches of stealing from him and cheating, which are total lies. All in order not to pay them.

Beware! Evaluate both clubs this Summer.

Comment

PFC is the local Princeton travel club. PSA is still a local travel club, but they've been trying to expand in recent years to be more. Don't have a recommendation other than good luck.

Comment

PFC is the local Princeton travel club. PSA is still a local travel club, but they've been trying to expand in recent years to be more. Don't have a recommendation other than good luck.
          Csa has the highest platform for your kids. Try there

Comment

I had this question many years ago when I moved to this area and for years, I figured it out somehow:

PFC: more like a local club and your milage may vary depends on which coach you get. It has the same amount of soccer politics like town clubs. They have really good teams on the boys side and not so great on the girls (younger age group like 2009 or 2010 have some good teams)

PSA (Princeton): run like a business. There's a pros and cons for that. It is less likely influenced by parents unless you're one of those very weathy ones. The quality of coaches are more consistent. (I am not going to argue whether they're good or bad. Some players love them while some don't, just like anywhere else). Their boys teams aren't too great but they have some good girls teams.

I am not familiar with other PSA locations.

Cost-wise, some people say PFC is cheaper. It used to be true but that's history now. The cost is actually comparable. (PSA offers three-day training while PFC offers two, you need to compare apples to apples by taking all the expense into account).

Depending on the level of your players, unless they're super competitive, IMO it might not be a bad idea to start with either one so you get to know people in the area as well as players. If you want to start with more serious clubs, PSA Princeton isn't a terrible choice. In this area, for boys, higher level clubs are MF Mercer, PDA Hibernians, or NLSA. For girls, the only one nearby is PDA South. It's up to you to decide whether you want to believe or ignore those MFA/PDA haters here. My children have experiences with all these clubs except PDA Hibernians although I do know the coaches at Hibos. There are some truth to those: big roster (if you consider 20-22 players are "big roster" for 11v11) and no guaranteed playtime or no loyalty to players but I personally don't consider them negative.

I know there are some good clubs by the shore but I am not familiar with them. We have played against some of those teams and personally I am not impressed by those parents' behavior.

Comment

They changed their name to Princeton Soccer Academy a year ago, and began using reserves to acquire clubs like SDFC (Montclair area), Wildcats (Long Branch area in Monmouth county by shore), Sportika (Monroe area). Before that, there was PSA North, Central and South, and they were trying to expand.

PSA is ultra-competitive, and everyone pays over $3,000, but every player plays a different amount of games. If you are a very nice and good player, they will bring you to tournaments with lower level teams to help the lower level teams win tournaments.

It’s nice to win, but that good player on the field is taking another player’s spot.

It’s all a business for John. For example, with COVID-19, they gave no refunds, and filed PPP for ATSC, PSA, and other clubs they acquired.

Like other companies like GPS, the PSA coaches in ATSC are paid pennies, have poor living conditions, and have immigration issues.

John Newman has a ton of lawsuits pending on his businesses. He is known to accuse former coaches of stealing from him and cheating, which are total lies. All in order not to pay them.

GPS is gone as an organization and it's NJ operation now NJ Surf. I'd avoid it at all cost.

Comment

I had this question many years ago when I moved to this area and for years, I figured it out somehow:

PFC: more like a local club and your milage may vary depends on which coach you get. It has the same amount of soccer politics like town clubs. They have really good teams on the boys side and not so great on the girls (younger age group like 2009 or 2010 have some good teams)

PSA (Princeton): run like a business. There's a pros and cons for that. It is less likely influenced by parents unless you're one of those very weathy ones. The quality of coaches are more consistent. (I am not going to argue whether they're good or bad. Some players love them while some don't, just like anywhere else). Their boys teams aren't too great but they have some good girls teams.

Cost-wise, some people say PFC is cheaper. It used to be true but that's history now. The cost is actually comparable. (PSA offers three-day training while PFC offers two, you need to compare apples to apples by taking all the expense into account).

Depending on the level of your players, unless they're super competitive, IMO it might not be a bad idea to start with either one so you get to know people in the area as well as players. If you want to start with more serious clubs, PSA Princeton isn't a terrible choice. In this area, for boys, higher level clubs are MF Mercer, PDA Hibernians, or NLSA. For girls, the only one nearby is PDA South. It's up to you to decide whether you want to believe or ignore those MFA/PDA haters here. My children have experiences with all these clubs except PDA Hibernians although I do know the coaches at Hibos. There are some truth to those: big roster (if you consider 20-22 players are "big roster" for 11v11) and no guaranteed playtime or no loyalty to players but I personally don't consider them negative.

I know there are some good clubs by the shore but I am not familiar with them. We have played against some of those teams and personally I am not impressed by those parents' behavior.
                CSA is NOT close to Princeton.

For ultra competitive soccer players, there’s only 1 club: PDA
                https://www.soccerwire.com/soccerwir...ne-2020-21-60/

For boys, nationwide, RedBulls ranks #4, and PDA #31

I would go to PDA North, the base, and where they have own fields. It’s in Somerset, 17 miles from middle of Princeton.

For PFC, they will practice 3 times a week AFTER kids get to older ages. Their teams are always competitive. They don’t use parent coaches. PFC is much cheaper than PSA, and easier to communicate with.

Whether you like the feedback from PFC is one thing, but they are straightforward and honest. At PSA, a friend couldn’t even get a response from JN about COVID-19 refunds or credits. JN appeared offended when asked! Another parent even shouted back at JN, it’s a valid question.

I know many players left PSA due to COVID-19 response, and JN doesn’t care.

Comment

Csa has the highest platform for your kids. Try there
                  Correct they are one of best clubs in country.

Comment

Well your right about one thing the behaviour of the Shore parents was quite disappointing to say the least.

Comment

It is funny how first you trash psa completely, from the start to the end , in details , including the owner , but then, at the end, you ended your trash psa talking with “ evaluate both clubs” .
                      Interesting.

Comment

Agreed. Why not just post it directly. Why pretend that it’s in response to someone moving? It’s anonymous anyway. Some very strange people post on this site. So very strange.

It is funny how first you trash psa completely, from the start to the end , in details , including the owner , but then, at the end, you ended your trash psa talking with “ evaluate both clubs” .
                        Interesting.

Comment

Agreed. Why not just post it directly. Why pretend that it’s in response to someone moving? It’s anonymous anyway. Some very strange people post on this site. So very strange.
                          They obviously have experience with PSA and not PFC.

Reading all posts, yours has no substance. No opinions! Yes, very strange to go after another person on this thread. If you’re going to attack someone, attack them, it’s anonymous anyway. Funny, lol!

Comment

PSA is horrible, and JN is a terrible person. I said worse to him face to face.

He wouldn’t know who I am because there are thousands he pissed off like me.

PSA is expensive across all ages, the OP quote of $3,000 per year tells me that the child is U11 or U12.

If you have a younger child, try PFC.

If your child is more developed, older, I would try PDA. PDA North is best, PDA South is newest, trying to get their feet wet.

CSA is not near Princeton area at all. I would avoid PSA, they are not really Princeton anymore, with all acquisitions.

Comment

I thought I did.

They obviously have experience with PSA and not PFC.

Reading all posts, yours has no substance. No opinions! Yes, very strange to go after another person on this thread. If you’re going to attack someone, attack them, it’s anonymous anyway. Funny, lol!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X