X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1482 deaths attributed to covid in the state
    7,200,000 population.
    That means that .0002 of the population have succumbed to this. That's 2 people for every 100000 people.
    Sure a lot of those are nursing homes and very frail populations but still, even if it's .0001 that is too many.

Comment

Can someone telling people to get out of their basements/etc please enlighten me - what's the acceptable number of Covid deaths for youth soccer to return to normal?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Can someone telling people to get out of their basements/etc please enlighten me - what's the acceptable number of Covid deaths for youth soccer to return to normal?
        If you're worried about the body count, you aren't committed. Your kid needs to give up their roster spot to a player whose parents understand: no price is too high for greatness at U10 level.

Comment

Death is an acceptable risk for the enjoyment of seeing your son play "Elite Soccer...." You are right, we all have the right to choose our path.

My neighbors buried there dad last month from Covid after the grand-kids visited and infected the whole family. I'll spare you the details but I can say it was gruesome way to die.

Definitely, by all means, please go first.

It isn't just about your kid.

Comment

7,200,000 population.
            That means that .0002 of the population have succumbed to this. That's 2 people for every 100000 people.
            Sure a lot of those are nursing homes and very frail populations but still, even if it's .0001 that is too many.

Even one death is unacceptable. I am advocating for the governor to shut everything down until Christmas or there are no new cases for a full three week period, which ever comes first.

Neither kids nor parents need soccer football baseball or any of the entertainment activities.

My elderly mother in law has emphysema, diabetes and can't get out of bed due to severe arthritis. She is already on oxygen. Any sort of respiratory ailment would be a death warrant for her.

Comment

Not sure if the last post is serious and don’t mean to be insensitive but...I’m not advocating to reopen completely, but continuing to kill small business isn’t the answer either. If your mother in law has emphysema, arthritis, and diabetes, she should absolutely be on a strict quarantine. Information seems to support that outdoor activities, especially for young and healthy people are fairly safe. Of course you wouldn’t go visit Grandma afterwards, but you probably shouldn’t be anyways.

Comment

Ok, so you're willing to accept some unspecified number deaths in the community. How many are too many?

Comment

Bluntly, yes. Just like I am willing to accept Diabetes, Heart Disease, and Influenza deaths. I don’t know what the number is, but it’s not zero. Quarantine the high risk populations. I’m willing to accept the risk for my family if it means my kids can go back to school and my friends don’t lose their homes.

Comment

Bluntly, yes. Just like I am willing to accept Diabetes, Heart Disease, and Influenza deaths. I don’t know what the number is, but it’s not zero. Quarantine the high risk populations. I’m willing to accept the risk for my family if it means my kids can go back to school and my friends don’t lose their homes.
                    Actually agree. People die at ski resorts every year, but I will still do it. 300k die from obesity related causes, but I still don’t think we should ban fast food. I even like to skydive. There is some level of acceptable risk.

Comment

The difference being actions that put yourself at risk, versus actions that put others at risk.

Comment

"I'm willing to accept the risk of driving drunk"

Comment

Not sure if the last post is serious and don’t mean to be insensitive but...I’m not advocating to reopen completely, but continuing to kill small business isn’t the answer either. If your mother in law has emphysema, arthritis, and diabetes, she should absolutely be on a strict quarantine. Information seems to support that outdoor activities, especially for young and healthy people are fairly safe. Of course you wouldn’t go visit Grandma afterwards, but you probably shouldn’t be anyways.
                          If someone has emphysema and diabetes, we all owe it to them to make sacrifices to help them to live a few more years. It would be incredibly selfish for us to not lock down right now.

Comment

Even one death is unacceptable. I am advocating for the governor to shut everything down until Christmas or there are no new cases for a full three week period, which ever comes first.

Neither kids nor parents need soccer football baseball or any of the entertainment activities.

My elderly mother in law has emphysema, diabetes and can't get out of bed due to severe arthritis. She is already on oxygen. Any sort of respiratory ailment would be a death warrant for her.
                            I am going to print this out and tape in on the wall in my kid's bedroom. When they whine about not being able to play sports I will just stay silent and point to this.

Comment

If someone has emphysema and diabetes, we all owe it to them to make sacrifices to help them to live a few more years. It would be incredibly selfish for us to not lock down right now.
                              Still...not sure if serious.

Comment

7,200,000 population.
                                It’s more like 20 per 100,0000, or 6x the annual figure for lab confirmed flu deaths (which is probably understated as many flu and pneumonia deaths among elderly folks aren’t confirmed as such). https://www.doh.wa.gov/Portals/1/Doc...Season2019.pdf Flu and pneumonia are also terrible, infectious, respiratory diseases and horrible ways to die. Those diseases are also, like Covid, highly concentrated among older populations, but sometimes infect and even kill younger people. Last year, four children in the state under 17 died from the flu, which is 4 more than the total number of Covid deaths in that age bracket.

Anyone who claims we don’t accept and manage risks and figure out how to balance them against the costs of not taking them is kidding themselves. Covid is terrible— I’ve known people who have died from it — but that doesn’t mean zero tolerance for its risks is a workable or sensible approach.

There isn’t any risk of us being “first” on anything here. Like it or not, most of the world is opening up, and much of the country is too. Despite the increasingly apocalyptic statements from some local officials on the current local trends, the hospitalization and death rates here have remained very low despite a big spike in cases over the past month. We’ll have a lot more information in a few weeks as to whether school or youth sports or a range of other activities significantly increase the risks of the virus. Based on what we know now, I’m perfectly comfortable sending my kids to soccer under the return to play guidelines and I would be almost equally comfortable having them play local games and scrimmages. We’re also ok with the risks of sending my college aged kid back to school in a few weeks under the well thought out guidelines the school has implemented, even recognizing the distinct possibility that there will continue to be Covid cases at school and that they may get sick. I’d strongly prefer that local schools find a way to offer in person instruction as well, particularly during the couple months when outdoor spaces can be used for class. I’ve enjoyed flying to out of town tournaments like Surf and Silverlakes and the DA and ECNL showcases in the past, as have my kids, but we aren’t planning on that happening soon, although we are still holding out hope for the November showcases and for things picking up to something more like the old normal in the spring.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X