Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there going to be a season this year

Is anybody else concerned that there may not be a season. I can’t see travel being allowed for awhile.

I don't think there will be any soccer being played this year. Just my opinion, we'll see.......

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I don't think there will be any soccer being played this year. Just my opinion, we'll see.......
      I don't see a ton of travel, but I do see local games played.

Comment

Hopefully can get into phase 3 and have kids in school and playing soccer games in September. But the standards for getting to phase 3 will probably need to change for that to happen — with so many relatively mild cases among younger people now, case counts are likely to stay fairly high for a while (even with mask wearing and physical distancing) but aren’t really that relevant so long as hospitals aren’t getting overwhelmed. King County has had more than 2x the daily case count for phase 3 for over a month but hasn’t had any meaningful spike in hospitalizations or deaths, there still hasn’t been a single Covid-related death in the state of anyone under 24.

Comment

It seems that many school districts are considering no school for Fall. Although not directly related, the same thought process and similar personalities of public educators and sport coordinators might lead to no fall season.

I fear no season.

Comment

Educators still get paid even if there is no in person school. Club directors and league administrators don’t if the season is cancelled. They will try and have a season come hell or high water.

Comment

Hopefully can get into phase 3 and have kids in school and playing soccer games in September. But the standards for getting to phase 3 will probably need to change for that to happen — with so many relatively mild cases among younger people now, case counts are likely to stay fairly high for a while (even with mask wearing and physical distancing) but aren’t really that relevant so long as hospitals aren’t getting overwhelmed. King County has had more than 2x the daily case count for phase 3 for over a month but hasn’t had any meaningful spike in hospitalizations or deaths, there still hasn’t been a single Covid-related death in the state of anyone under 24.
              I get that you can't wait for your kid to get back playing games and full scrimmages, but downplaying or lessening the seriousness of Covid-19 is the wrong approach. 53 kids so far 0-19 have been hospitalized some on ventilators.

If your deciding factor is whether or not your kid dies as result of contracting Covid, I doubt most sane people share your belief. There is more to life than soccer.

Comment

I get that you can't wait for your kid to get back playing games and full scrimmages, but downplaying or lessening the seriousness of Covid-19 is the wrong approach. 53 kids so far 0-19 have been hospitalized some on ventilators.

If your deciding factor is whether or not your kid dies as result of contracting Covid, I doubt most sane people share your belief. There is more to life than soccer.
                You are right about the risk of getting sick, but there is a fine line somewhere isn't there? Don't you think it's possible to play soccer and not get a ton of kids infected? Do the benefits outweigh the risk? For me it does, I am for the kids playing in the fall, as safely as possible. Kids are playing outside right now, swimming, baseball, volleyball, basketball and on and on.

Some will choose not to participate and I think that is ok. I just don't think it should be mandated that nobody can play.

Comment

You are right about the risk of getting sick, but there is a fine line somewhere isn't there? Don't you think it's possible to play soccer and not get a ton of kids infected? Do the benefits outweigh the risk? For me it does, I am for the kids playing in the fall, as safely as possible. Kids are playing outside right now, swimming, baseball, volleyball, basketball and on and on.

Some will choose not to participate and I think that is ok. I just don't think it should be mandated that nobody can play.
                  You touched on three different things here...comparing to other sports, benefits of the sport, and participation.

I don't think it's fair to compare the other sports to soccer for liability reasons alone. Most of those other sports are not structured in the same way as club soccer here in Washington. They are team based rather than club oriented. Crossfire, WP, Eastside, Pac, and SU all have much much larger infrastructure to support and potential liability could destroy them.

As for benefits outweighing the risks - I think that's questionable. Nothing is keeping parents from having their kids exercise outside of soccer. Nothing is keeping parents from having kids socialize together. Get a small group of friends and keep the social circle small but ensure it's there - daily! There are alternatives available - yes, it's not as fun. Yes, it does delay our progression. Yes, we do want our kids to compete. But what should the priority really be? Healthy kids or Premier players? They aren't mutually exclusive but in a time of the unknown should we really be gambling?

I get the some won't participate concept and it's valid. But that's the same argument being used to justify the high fees that keep out some darned good players. Is your kid really the best out there? Or is he just the best that's playing now...all we do with this idea is to elevate our kids who are still playing to another unjustified level of "eliteness".

Comment

I’m not downplaying anything. I honestly do think Sweden’s approach to this whole mess may ultimately be the better one, but that’s far from clear and I’m still in favor of being reasonably cautious until there’s more data. But you can’t just shrug away the fact that the economic, social and health costs of keeping people and especially kids away from school and work and play are enormous. And there’s zero evidence that outdoor youth sports are a source of any real concern for increased community transmission. For whatever reason, a lot of people have taken a zero tolerance approach to Covid risks — and even to the uncertainty as to whether certain settings meaningfully increase Covid risks — without any consideration of the costs and actual benefits of that approach. People who don’t honestly grapple with the data and think through the costs of not figuring out how to balance work and life activities with the virus, and people who think it’s realistic or a good idea to just shut everything down for two or three years, are as infuriating as mask protesters, and no more helpful to anyone.

The data on the DOH site says there have been 64 hospitalizations, and 0 deaths, of kids 19 and younger from Covid in Washington. Out of about 5,000 positive tests in that age range, from a total statewide population in that age group of about 1.75 million. That’s less than four one thousandths of one percent of the pediatric population in the state. These numbers are lower than the pediatric hospitalization and death rates for pediatric flu and pneumonia like illnesses in many years, and we obviously don’t shut down schools or soccer or anything else for flu season (that’s not to say that Covid isn’t worse than most bad flu strains, because it very is). We all accept some risks in playing sports just as in anything else — about 775,000 kids are hospitalized playing youth sports each year, and about 8 kids die a year from sudden cardiac arrest while playing sports.

While cases have increased again in the state over the past month, hospitalization rates have not increased significantly despite the random hodgepodge of reopening that has happened and the increased levels of activity older teens and adults are engaged in notwithstanding the restrictions that are nominally still in place. The current hospitalization rate in King County is about as low as anywhere in the country. That’s a good thing. Hopefully with some more diligence on the mask wearing front and higher levels of immunity in the community the numbers will go back down over the next few weeks so that kids can get back to school in September and play some soccer around the same time. Over the next few weeks there will also be a lot more information from other places around the country and around the world that have opened up more aggressively. I think that’s realistic, but maybe you’d rather root for the virus.

Comment

If we change the speed limit to 10 mph in all of Washington including freeways, we could eliminate all traffic deaths....all of them. How about we change it to 5 mph?

Would this be worth it......think about it!! Some of you clowns would say yes!!

Comment

Literally no one:

Angry Valor dad: YOU LIBTARDS WANT TO GET RID OF CARS?! YOU'D LIKE THAT LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Comment

I’m not downplaying anything. I honestly do think Sweden’s approach to this whole mess may ultimately be the better one, but that’s far from clear and I’m still in favor of being reasonably cautious until there’s more data. But you can’t just shrug away the fact that the economic, social and health costs of keeping people and especially kids away from school and work and play are enormous. And there’s zero evidence that outdoor youth sports are a source of any real concern for increased community transmission. For whatever reason, a lot of people have taken a zero tolerance approach to Covid risks — and even to the uncertainty as to whether certain settings meaningfully increase Covid risks — without any consideration of the costs and actual benefits of that approach. People who don’t honestly grapple with the data and think through the costs of not figuring out how to balance work and life activities with the virus, and people who think it’s realistic or a good idea to just shut everything down for two or three years, are as infuriating as mask protesters, and no more helpful to anyone.

The data on the DOH site says there have been 64 hospitalizations, and 0 deaths, of kids 19 and younger from Covid in Washington. Out of about 5,000 positive tests in that age range, from a total statewide population in that age group of about 1.75 million. That’s less than four one thousandths of one percent of the pediatric population in the state. These numbers are lower than the pediatric hospitalization and death rates for pediatric flu and pneumonia like illnesses in many years, and we obviously don’t shut down schools or soccer or anything else for flu season (that’s not to say that Covid isn’t worse than most bad flu strains, because it very is). We all accept some risks in playing sports just as in anything else — about 775,000 kids are hospitalized playing youth sports each year, and about 8 kids die a year from sudden cardiac arrest while playing sports.

While cases have increased again in the state over the past month, hospitalization rates have not increased significantly despite the random hodgepodge of reopening that has happened and the increased levels of activity older teens and adults are engaged in notwithstanding the restrictions that are nominally still in place. The current hospitalization rate in King County is about as low as anywhere in the country. That’s a good thing. Hopefully with some more diligence on the mask wearing front and higher levels of immunity in the community the numbers will go back down over the next few weeks so that kids can get back to school in September and play some soccer around the same time. Over the next few weeks there will also be a lot more information from other places around the country and around the world that have opened up more aggressively. I think that’s realistic, but maybe you’d rather root for the virus.
                          Ok, you go first with your kid. Have fun. You must be one of those GAL parents who never traveled out of state to Surf, Silver Lakes, Vegas, Arizona, Florida, SC, NJ, Texas, etc.
                          Where are you going? Oh, into the blazing fire of infections and non-compliance of mask wearing and social distancing. In a flying death tube. Ok, boss.

You are probably a middle age dad or mom body, maybe with diabetes, hypertension, obesity, and other middle age diseases of affluence. Non-masking wearing and likes to visit bars. A big target for COVID-19. Oooh, oooh pick me! Pick me!

All for what? Big brains, no common sense. Good luck, big winner in the lottery of life.

Comment

Ok, you go first with your kid. Have fun. You must be one of those GAL parents who never traveled out of state to Surf, Silver Lakes, Vegas, Arizona, Florida, SC, NJ, Texas, etc.
                            Where are you going? Oh, into the blazing fire of infections and non-compliance of mask wearing and social distancing. In a flying death tube. Ok, boss.

You are probably a middle age dad or mom body, maybe with diabetes, hypertension, obesity, and other middle age diseases of affluence. Non-masking wearing and likes to visit bars. A big target for COVID-19. Oooh, oooh pick me! Pick me!

All for what? Big brains, no common sense. Good luck, big winner in the lottery of life.
                            Plenty of folks have been going first......are you waiting to go last? It it okay to come out the basement.

Comment

Thank you, whoever you are! Finally a sensible and thoughtful comment on the situation.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X