Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coronavirus Risk with Soccer

So some clubs have already starting practicing and, from the looks of it, there isn’t a whole lot of social distancing happening. So you have kids standing in line for shooting drills while breathing heavily on each other... Doesn’t this seem like a recipe for more spread of Covid?

I get that everyone wants to go back to work and the kids want to play soccer, but the virus is still out there and having kids close together breathing heavily around each other seems dangerous... what am I missing?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    So some clubs have already starting practicing and, from the looks of it, there isn’t a whole lot of social distancing happening. So you have kids standing in line for shooting drills while breathing heavily on each other... Doesn’t this seem like a recipe for more spread of Covid?

I get that everyone wants to go back to work and the kids want to play soccer, but the virus is still out there and having kids close together breathing heavily around each other seems dangerous... what am I missing?
    You're missing that most kids will be fine even if they do catch it. Cases are down in the state which means the risks are lower than they were 6 weeks ago. Keep up with hand washing and mask wearing in other situations, but kids playing outside will be ok*.

*yes, if you have an immunocompromised family member then don't send them

Comment

You're missing that most kids will be fine even if they do catch it. Cases are down in the state which means the risks are lower than they were 6 weeks ago. Keep up with hand washing and mask wearing in other situations, but kids playing outside will be ok*.

*yes, if you have an immunocompromised family member then don't send them
      Understood that most kids would be fine. I’m thinking about what happens when they bring it home. Even for folks with normal immune system’s, it could be an impact. Correct?

Comment

Understood that most kids would be fine. I’m thinking about what happens when they bring it home. Even for folks with normal immune system’s, it could be an impact. Correct?
        This X 10000000000%. People are conflating kids being fine if they catch the virus and them being able to contract and spread it. The second thing is the issue. Yes, your kid will most likely be fine if the contract the virus. What happens when they spread it to your household, you parents house, their friends house, etc. That is the exact situation we are trying to avoid.

Comment

This X 10000000000%. People are conflating kids being fine if they catch the virus and them being able to contract and spread it. The second thing is the issue. Yes, your kid will most likely be fine if the contract the virus. What happens when they spread it to your household, you parents house, their friends house, etc. That is the exact situation we are trying to avoid.
          It would be good to see some scientific and unbiased data about the risk of Covid spread in youth soccer practices and games.:

Comment

It would be good to see some scientific and unbiased data about the risk of Covid spread in youth soccer practices and games.:
            There has already been research regarding spread outside as well as outside exercise, but nothing specifically (that I've seen) for youth soccer. The outside exercise research was centered on how far droplets from breathing could spread when standing vs walking vs running, and it should how droplets could extend well past 6' in a running scenario.

I think the other issue is that as things open up further, the virus transmission rate will go up. Look at Florida. An entire women's soccer team had to bow out of the upcoming tournament because a few of their players decided to go to a bar instead of sticking with the isolation protocol prior to the tournament. This is the type of thing that can easily happen here.

I think more virus transmission research needs to be done, but it's pretty clear that people are deciding (because it's convenient) that the pandemic is over. It's great that our numbers are low now, but I doubt they remain that way considering those type of people as well as the clear issues going on in other states. The virus doesn't exactly respect state boundaries.

Comment

If your not to worried about it, make it a point to come to the MF Shore ID clinics this weekend. Heres your chance to get your kid to play with some of the best kids in NJ!

Comment

You are a idiot. Go to a real site to find actual accurate information.
                Do not believe anything you read here including this.
                🐑

Comment

🐑
                  I love how people with no science or medical background make such sweeping statements. If you can't evaluate sources appropriately then you should call someone (like your doctor) who might be able to help you. Go away.

Comment

🐑
                    Sorry coach... or delusional soccer mom... or conspiracy theorist... Please go back to the kids table while the grownups are talking.

Comment

There likely will be some spread as a result of these practices. It shouldn’t be that much though since there really hasn’t been a big spike after all the recent demonstrations. There’s always going to be some risk.

Comment

If your not to worried about it, make it a point to come to the MF Shore ID clinics this weekend. Heres your chance to get your kid to play with some of the best kids in NJ!
                        Your comments on every damn thread have only made me want to avoid MF Shore forever. Your embarrassing your own club. No one needs to be sold this much. Relax, Mate.

Comment

There likely will be some spread as a result of these practices. It shouldn’t be that much though since there really hasn’t been a big spike after all the recent demonstrations. There’s always going to be some risk.
                          Exactly. I think the risk itself right now is relatively low (especially if we can keep parents from congregating during practice), but I will be keeping an eye on the transmission rate. There is already an uptick in south jersey. We are also continuing to open up at a faster pace than originally planned. We'll see where it goes. Hopefully we won't be back inside during the fall and winter because of this and outside of NJ forces.

Comment

If it’s true there hasn’t been a spike since the riots and demonstrations, that’s a good point. I know Florida is seeing a spike, but that seems to be because of people going to bars. The outdoor demonstrations scenario is probably closer to youth soccer than the bars scenario..

Comment

I love how people with no science or medical background make such sweeping statements. If you can't evaluate sources appropriately then you should call someone (like your doctor) who might be able to help you. Go away.
                              You mean the sweeping statements from the TS sheep to sound the alarm...kids are playing soccer and are close to each other? TS posts are more of a deadly/bacterial virus than Covid. Like the common cold and influenza A, not everyone will become sick.

You can't keep the masses inside vs a few. We have over 340 million people who have served their house arrest term and are free and living/participating in life.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X