Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winchester HS Girls Soccer

Any information on why Winchester has decided to move on from Chris Scanlon? It seemed like all he did was win.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Any information on why Winchester has decided to move on from Chris Scanlon? It seemed like all he did was win.
    He has been there for 30+ years. Is he retiring?

Comment

Parents or Politics

http://winchester.wickedlocal.com/sp...g-job/?Start=2

Based on this article, Winchester have facilitated the exit & have not offered him the position this fall.

Considering the A.D. is younger & only 2-3 years into his role there, perhaps there was some difference of opinion there with an experienced coach from the "old school".

Also likely that parents or school/town politics played a role in forcing the school in a new direction. Seems to be a growing trend.

Comment

Two schools of thought on this one:
        1) He is a legend. Earned the right to leave on his own terms, whenever that is
        2) It's about time. Performance lacking over last decade. Coaching style and tactics out of date

I fall into the first camp, and I am disappointed that my younger D will not have opportunity to play for him. At minimum he should have been given a one-year farewell season. I suspect the (new) AD will cite this as evidence of his ability to be a change-maker when interviewing for the next job he wants.

Comment

Scanlon is legend.

Comment

"heading in a different direction"

http://homenewshere.com/daily_times_...fc69e2c14.html

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/h..._at_winchester

Comment

Less and less coaches get to leave on their own terms. The record over the last 3 years is not that bad at all.

Comment

Two schools of thought on this one:
                1) He is a legend. Earned the right to leave on his own terms, whenever that is
                2) It's about time. Performance lacking over last decade. Coaching style and tactics out of date

I fall into the first camp, and I am disappointed that my younger D will not have opportunity to play for him. At minimum he should have been given a one-year farewell season. I suspect the (new) AD will cite this as evidence of his ability to be a change-maker when interviewing for the next job he wants.
                While I don't agree with #2, I do agree with the part about AD (MA) acting in his own interest as he passes through Winchester.

Comment

doesn't make sense

A successful program without any controversy. Doesn't make sense. They were always successful. Guessing the ad decided to listen to the disgruntled parents of the less talented.

Comment

A successful program without any controversy. Doesn't make sense. They were always successful. Guessing the ad decided to listen to the disgruntled parents of the less talented.
                    That's par for the course these days, there has been a couple each year shown the door. Have to make sure everyone who wants to be on the team is on the team.

Comment

That's par for the course these days, there has been a couple each year shown the door. Have to make sure everyone who wants to be on the team is on the team.
                      It is happening more and more. There's the travel player parents who always meddle in the local program and can't understand why their kids don't make varsity year 1 and get no PT. But there's also club parents who think their kids are far better than the are or think that because they play in a certain league that should guarantee them something. HS coaches have issues - some more than others - but they do call the shots. Kids need to learn that and figure out how to navigate it. Parents need to stop trying to fix everything for them.

Comment

It is happening more and more. There's the travel player parents who always meddle in the local program and can't understand why their kids don't make varsity year 1 and get no PT. But there's also club parents who think their kids are far better than the are or think that because they play in a certain league that should guarantee them something. HS coaches have issues - some more than others - but they do call the shots. Kids need to learn that and figure out how to navigate it. Parents need to stop trying to fix everything for them.
                        What's frustrating for the club kids is playing for a HS coach who doesn't have the playing experience that the club kids do not the knowledge of the game that the club kids do.

Comment

What's frustrating for the club kids is playing for a HS coach who doesn't have the playing experience that the club kids do not the knowledge of the game that the club kids do.
                          That is happening less and less - more HS are hiring club coaches instead of the old stereotyped history teacher. If players and their parents go in with the expectation that HS soccer is not club soccer, that it is what it is, then many of the issues would disappear. The objectives of HS sports are different than club. Accept the things you cannot change and make the best of the situation, or don't participate.

Comment

Don't believe all the kool aid the club coaches lead you to drink. Not all of them have this great playing experience or licenses they claim to have.

Comment

Get over yourself.

What's really frustrating is listening to other parents on the sideline complain about the quality of HS soccer while their Mia loses to a team that doesn't play the right way.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X