Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Right. Overreaching for conclusions yet again. I guess that's why the guy with a high level D1 kid torched you above.
    His Daughter played with 13 D1 commits last 2015 season. Not sure what you are talking about.

Comment

It's a discussion forum and discussing other points of view is what you are supposed to do on one. It is pretty sad that you can't tolerate any discussion that doesn't match with your personal point of view.
      When will you accept that you have "discussed" enough and done enough damage? Here you are again today for heaven's sakes. So much for "periodically" lol.

Comment

His Daughter played with 13 D1 commits last 2015 season. Not sure what you are talking about.
        What I'm talking about is his wild conclusion that any and all resistance and disagreement with him is about him disrespecting a D3 parent. Completely misses the point. We expect him to disrespect. That's all he knows how to do. But that doesn't change the degree of distortion and disinformation he's spewing.

Comment

Any attempt to label anyone seems to be a problem with this guy. He is always arguing against proper leveling and now apparently its an insult to call a soccer player who isn't chasing a soccer scholarship a recreational player. Would like to know what label would be acceptable?
          Pretty clear that you don't have to be chasing a scholarship to be a reasonably dedicated athlete. Anyone who devote the time and energy to play at any level of college soccer is not a recreational player by definition unless you are perhaps talking about the very lowest levels of D3.

Comment

Pretty clear that you don't have to be chasing a scholarship to be a reasonably dedicated athlete. Anyone who devote the time and energy to play at any level of college soccer is not a recreational player by definition unless you are perhaps talking about the very lowest levels of D3.
            Ridiculous. This isn't a sport like mountain climbing where you are in it for the personal challenge. If you are not working towards some sort of pay off like a scholarship with soccer by definition you are a recreational player. Recreational means you do it for the recreational and enjoyment aspects and don't expect anything from it. This is precisely the problem with club soccer these days. You have whack jobs hijacking what is supposed to be the highest level and turning it into rec soccer with their everyone gets a medal mentality. It sux.

Comment

Ridiculous. This isn't a sport like mountain climbing where you are in it for the personal challenge. If you are not working towards some sort of pay off like a scholarship with soccer by definition you are a recreational player. Recreational means you do it for the recreational and enjoyment aspects and don't expect anything from it. This is precisely the problem with club soccer these days. You have whack jobs hijacking what is supposed to be the highest level and turning it into rec soccer with their everyone gets a medal mentality. It sux.
              Finally you re-confirm the truth you shared with us years ago. You did punish your kid and abided by your rule that "no money" meant "no play." Really love how the rest of us have ruined your experience for you. Kids like yours are supposed to go to some special residential in Colorado or skip college and head to Europe. Doesn't mean everyone else is in the wrong place. You are even more distorted than usual today.

Comment

And the duplicities proliferate.

He's insisted that his beloved NEFC is great in part because they are all about fit and encourage kids who will thrive more at D3 to go D3. Now he's saying anyone who participates and isn't chasing a scholarship is a "whack job." Well, that's probably more than 90% of the clientele even at NEFC.

Comment

What I'm talking about is his wild conclusion that any and all resistance and disagreement with him is about him disrespecting a D3 parent. Completely misses the point. We expect him to disrespect. That's all he knows how to do. But that doesn't change the degree of distortion and disinformation he's spewing.
                  D3 parents like you ARE the problem with club soccer these days. They scramble to join elite level teams and then fight to dumb the expectations down to fit their personal narrative. Every time some new development program comes along that is designed specifically for the elite level, parents like them scream bloody hell about how unfair it is but then are first in line at the tryouts. They are like maggots that you can't get rid of.

Comment

D3 parents like you ARE the problem with club soccer these days. They scramble to join elite level teams and then fight to dumb the expectations down to fit their personal narrative. Every time some new development program comes along that is designed specifically for the elite level, parents like them scream bloody hell about how unfair it is but then are first in line at the tryouts. They are like maggots that you can't get rid of.
                    You can speak more freely when you don't sign in, right, BTNT?

Comment

Many pursue time on the pitch as personal challenge; too bad you don't share that sentiment.
                      My guess is that you are not a player...
                      Those "whackjobs" you refer to are also known as the "clubs".
                      In their haste to sign any and all, they have diminished the top flight labels to mean almost anything and everyone. But that is ok.
                      There are so few of this completely non-rec scholarship quality player available in our area that those few are easily identified and rewarded when applicable.
                      No club could survive solely on those players; they function better as indivual teams anyway.
                      Go find a club or teams that fits your expectations, but remember, you are the outlier here.

Comment

Would be interesting to read whether you have thought through what you might do down the road when you reach the various forks in the road. Assuming that if your daughter wanted to quit soccer you would let her, what other situations could you see that might cause you to stop with club soccer? What situations could you see that might cause you to accelerate what you are doing?
                        Honestly she is only U11 so I haven't thought too far ahead. I would love to see her continue on to play high school level and club since I like watching her play. I did not grow up playing soccer and still don't know all the rules but I do know that I like the game.
                        As far as quitting, if she truly did not enjoy it any longer why would I force her to play? If she doesn't want to be there then it will show.
                        As far as "forks in the road" I really don't know. She is on a small club team, if she really takes off and excels then maybe I would look at bigger clubs but for now we are both happy with club, team, coaches and parents.

Comment

This says an awful lot about the poster then. Supposedly has a ton of experience and yet all they can do is crap on those that who share theirs. Here's a suggestion, if you have a different experience why don't you share it.
                          Our experiences are unique to our family's situation. Where we live, our financial situation, our daughter's athleticism, other athletic considerations, her soccer friends, her brothers and sisters, her academic abilities, her temperament and personality, our town's soccer program when she was little, her various club coaches, the leagues she's played in, her history of injuries, her training coaches, etc. I would NEVER presume to think that this situation of ours would qualify me to tell you how to manage your kids. For every aspect that our respective situations may have in common there may be 4-5 others that make comparisons useless. I make occasional comments on threads where a specific question warrants a clear answer that I can help out with.

But it would be of no use to any intelligent person to read my manifesto on youth soccer. So I wouldn't waste time writing one

Comment

The irony is that our resident guru will be the first to say that no club met the needs of his daughter. He had to cobble together the necessary pieces to be able to have her develop properly.

Comment

The irony is that our resident guru will be the first to say that no club met the needs of his daughter. He had to cobble together the necessary pieces to be able to have her develop properly.
                              The thing that I laugh at is without you, I seriously doubt anyone would even know that I exist or have anything more than a passing thought about my views on anything. Seriously, have you ever stopped to ponder just how many posts you make about me specifically during the course of a typical week? Usually it's in the hundreds and that outpaces anything that I personally actually add to this site by a very wide margin so if you resent that I'm now known by others you have no one but yourself to blame.

Many pursue time on the pitch as personal challenge; too bad you don't share that sentiment.
                              My guess is that you are not a player...
                              Those "whackjobs" you refer to are also known as the "clubs".
                              In their haste to sign any and all, they have diminished the top flight labels to mean almost anything and everyone. But that is ok.
                              There are so few of this completely non-rec scholarship quality player available in our area that those few are easily identified and rewarded when applicable.
                              No club could survive solely on those players; they function better as indivual teams anyway.
                              Go find a club or teams that fits your expectations, but remember, you are the outlier here.
                              Unfortunately club soccer is going the way of basketball. I used to love to coach CYO basketball because in the programs I was involved with there was no pretense and the kids that were there, were there to actually learn how to play the same game that I love. It was great fun. Then along came the explosion in AAU basketball and then no one wanted their kids to play CYO any longer basically because it wasn't sexy enough for them. Now I did my time coaching AAU basketball as well and truthfully the talent level wasn't all that much better than it was in CYO. The big change was instead of driving a couple a towns away to play another parish, now everyone wanted to drive a couple states away and stay the weekend to play a couple of meaningless games against god knows how old a team (club soccer is much better a policing such things). In many cases the teams were basically filled with 1-2 kids that might be able to play a bit and a whole bunch were there because their parents check cleared. The thing that always bemused me was listening to team parents talking about their travel plans and how far they were going when any reasonably astute basketball guy could see that they didn't have a high school starter on the team. The part that I would debate somewhat with you is the number of scholarship players you see. At least in basketball, they are out there in healthy numbers it's just very hard to see them through the mass of mediocrity that typically envelopes them because like soccer, basketball has gotten completely diluted.

Comment

whether it the resident guru or any one else, a majority of kids that play club will never get their needs met, unless you advocate for them at every turn, and even then its not set up for them too reach their full potential, but it might put them in a better position than most.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X