Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Practice Player?

What exactly is a practice player on a club roster? Are they not quite up to par with the rest of the team? Do they pay less and hope to have some playing time? I saw this on my daughters roster.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    What exactly is a practice player on a club roster? Are they not quite up to par with the rest of the team? Do they pay less and hope to have some playing time? I saw this on my daughters roster.
    Exactly what it says. She only practices with the team - no playing time

Comment

Our club has had a few over the years (full rosters). One was eventually asked to join the team when another player left. The rest dropped away on their own because the situation was frustrating (no PT)

Comment

So I assume they pay less money then? I just haven't seen this before, this is only our 2nd year in club soccer. Thanks.

Comment

So I assume they pay less money then? I just haven't seen this before, this is only our 2nd year in club soccer. Thanks.
          Some pay less, some pay full price. Everything is negotiable. I would never pay full price for practice player.

Comment

A True training player or Practice player should have a pass card for games, They can fill in whenever players can't make games and gain playing time that way. there are also numerous ways to get players playing time whether its extra tournaments, scrimmages, indoor sessions, futsal and etc. Yes it can be rough for those players but its up to the coach to involve and include as many in team activities as possible so they stay and develop with the group.

Comment

My son started as a practice player. It was a way to dip our feet into the whole club thing. He wanted to get better but we didn't think he was up for playing in club games yet. He filled in at one game the first year and then was asked to join the team in year two. We paid a little over 1/2 to be practice only.

Comment

A practice player is basically a player on the 2nd team that helps keep the club alive by paying their yearly dues...It's like the DA programs...they keep female teams around so that they can help fund the Club's DA program...

Comment

A practice player is basically a player on the 2nd team that helps keep the club alive by paying their yearly dues...It's like the DA programs...they keep female teams around so that they can help fund the Club's DA program...
                  Or the club wants to do right by players thst want to develop. Strange but true. Most of these situations are on teams that already have full rosters and teams only take 1-2 and at a reduced fee. That isn't exactly keeping a club alive

Comment

My daughter spent a year on a practice team for futsal. It was 1/3 the rate, we got full practice time and invited to a couple of games when they were short players. Gave her an opportunity to improve, and made it the following years.

For clubs that don't have lower teams to stash and develop players, it's not a bad way to go.

Comment

My daughter spent a year on a practice team for futsal. It was 1/3 the rate, we got full practice time and invited to a couple of games when they were short players. Gave her an opportunity to improve, and made it the following years.

For clubs that don't have lower teams to stash and develop players, it's not a bad way to go.
                      I see. We only have 1 team so this would make sense then for a developing player.

Comment

in my sons club, practice players practice only and pay half the normal fee...a great idea for younger players needing development and training but not ready for a full commitment and investment

Comment

I see. We only have 1 team so this would make sense then for a developing player.
                          Yes. Don't discount the club figuring they can get a few more $$. And, for some, it's a hard sell to "only" be a practice player. But, it can work out if they want to do what it takes to get into the higher tier.

Comment

We had several practice players and guest players at tournaments come and go throughout the years. It annoyed me to no end that they were taking pt away from my daughter and the other paying team members. The clubs attempt to lure players in, sometimes it worked, most times it did not.

Comment

Clubs taking your money and making sure the players are not going to another club.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X