Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This change hit my daughter's club

My daughter was u9 playing up on u10 last year. With this change, the team had ~4 kids jump to u12, ~6 move to u11, and just two girls (my daughter included) remain at u10. These two girls were the only two to show up at u10 tryouts so the club had them try out for the u11 as well.

Turns out, they ended up moving some u11 players up to u12 which resulted in them not having enough for u11 either. Which was unfortunate as we loved the "closeness" of the smaller club. Conversely, they ended up with 100 kids (many from other local clubs) trying out for the u13 and u14 teams!

In the end my daughter went to the tryouts for NEFC and made their u11 Elite team, so perhaps it was for the best!

But this age switch is hitting the smaller clubs hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      My daughter was u9 playing up on u10 last year. With this change, the team had ~4 kids jump to u12, ~6 move to u11, and just two girls (my daughter included) remain at u10. These two girls were the only two to show up at u10 tryouts so the club had them try out for the u11 as well.

Turns out, they ended up moving some u11 players up to u12 which resulted in them not having enough for u11 either. Which was unfortunate as we loved the "closeness" of the smaller club. Conversely, they ended up with 100 kids (many from other local clubs) trying out for the u13 and u14 teams!

In the end my daughter went to the tryouts for NEFC and made their u11 Elite team, so perhaps it was for the best!

But this age switch is hitting the smaller clubs hard.

NEFC U11 Elite?? Are you sure about that? She must have really stood out at tryouts if NEFC created a whole new team for her!

Comment

NEFC U11 Elite?? Are you sure about that? She must have really stood out at tryouts if NEFC created a whole new team for her!
        I think before you get snide, you should know of which you speak. With the new ECNL/NPL designations for their top teams, NEFC has changed all their team labels. The very top team is no longer known as Elite, but the top teams in each region are now called Elite and replaces United as top team. So NEFC Central Elite for instance would now be top team in that region, with NEFC Central United now being 2nd team. So at U11, each region now has an Elite team, and the OP was correct. You are the wrong one.

Comment

The age group change is wrecking teams and clubs at record rates. Going into this I was betting that soccer nationwide would shrink by at least 5%. Now that I've been seeing what's happening in my club and in the surrounding clubs I'd put the number well over 10%.

Comment

Yes I'm sure. Based on the email I got from her coach. See above explanation regarding levels smart-ass....lol

Comment

The age group change is wrecking teams and clubs at record rates. Going into this I was betting that soccer nationwide would shrink by at least 5%. Now that I've been seeing what's happening in my club and in the surrounding clubs I'd put the number well over 10%.

I have seen the opposite, this was the biggest turn out I have seen at my kids club tryout

They are fielding more teams this coming season then last, in their region that is.

All the kids are playing in their age group.

If there are clubs allowing there team's to stay together and play up they are going to struggle, it will be a tough year ahead for them especially if they are playing at a strong competiive level and I am sure the big tournaments are going to favor placing a true "01" team in then a mixed "02//01" group.

Comment

I don't agree. I'm seeing a lot of "Oh, Timmy will miss playing with his classmate Tommy" but no "Timmy's quitting soccer since he can't play with his classmate Tommy". Plus, I always liked playing on teams where it WASN'T always the same kids from school.

Comment

Kids playing up with 1/2 of their team in the correct age group will only delay the breakup of the team/club. If bigger clubs are allowing it, that is their mistake. They will realize it next year and cause yet another cluster in tryouts next June.

Comment

I don't agree. I'm seeing a lot of "Oh, Timmy will miss playing with his classmate Tommy" but no "Timmy's quitting soccer since he can't play with his classmate Tommy". Plus, I always liked playing on teams where it WASN'T always the same kids from school.

I agree, if you want to play with classmates then play town soccer.

Club is suppose to be a tryout and year in and year out there are suppose to be changes and cuts and new faces.

There should even be movement mid-season if a player is poorly preforming they should be moved down to the second team and if there is a second team player exceeding the coaches expectations then they should be moved up.

I love the parents that get all up in the club and coaches face when their kids gets asked to play on the second team, they think just because they were on or currently are on the top team they should never be asked to play for or moved to the second team.

Really, seriously, that is the most selfish thing, they are only thinking about their kid and not the other players on the team.

If your kids gets dropped to the second team you should encourage them to work twice as hard and prove you (sorry I meant your child) deserves that spot on the first team, not whine and moan and then quit because your kids did not make the "A" team, every kid should have to earn their spot on the team.

A good coach will always pick the best possible pool of players for his or her top team, no politics, no BS, just good kids that are not just the best but also dedicated, attend every tournament, show up to training 30 minutes early to warm up and never give excuses.

Comment

Club is suppose to be a tryout and year in and year out there are suppose to be changes and cuts and new faces.

There should even be movement mid-season if a player is poorly preforming they should be moved down to the second team and if there is a second team player exceeding the coaches expectations then they should be moved up.

I love the parents that get all up in the club and coaches face when their kids gets asked to play on the second team, they think just because they were on or currently are on the top team they should never be asked to play for or moved to the second team.

Really, seriously, that is the most selfish thing, they are only thinking about their kid and not the other players on the team.

If your kids gets dropped to the second team you should encourage them to work twice as hard and prove you (sorry I meant your child) deserves that spot on the first team, not whine and moan and then quit because your kids did not make the "A" team, every kid should have to earn their spot on the team.

A good coach will always pick the best possible pool of players for his or her top team, no politics, no BS, just good kids that are not just the best but also dedicated, attend every tournament, show up to training 30 minutes early to warm up and never give excuses.
                      This is a byproduct of parents thinking they have a say in everything in rec soccer because they volunteered to coach or run the program. They get so used to being able to put their kid on any team they wanted, it kills them when reality strikes at the club level, and a coach drops them from the top team because daddy was teaching them tactics instead of ball control.

Comment

While I agree with the basic premise of your post, I disagree that players should be completely dropped down from any team mid-year. I'm someone who believes in contracts (both ways) and that both the club and the player "should" honor their year committment to the team they were placed during tryouts. However, I have no problem with a coach benching a player if they are not performing at the level they are expected to, or benching A LOT if the player is simply not showing up. Hopefully both the player & coach can sort out whatever the issue is during trainings, and often it may only be a temporary issue. Often with youth players, dips and peaks in playing level are common, and are usually confidence driven. Many factors can go into why a player who looked strong in a tryout, is struggling during the season. Dropping them off them team completely shows only committment to winning and not to development of the players. If at the end of the season, nothing has changed, then drop them from that team for the next year.

Comment

Not many kids at tryouts. When is the latest a team would announce they didn't have enough?

Comment

While I agree with the basic premise of your post, I disagree that players should be completely dropped down from any team mid-year. I'm someone who believes in contracts (both ways) and that both the club and the player "should" honor their year committment to the team they were placed during tryouts. However, I have no problem with a coach benching a player if they are not performing at the level they are expected to, or benching A LOT if the player is simply not showing up. Hopefully both the player & coach can sort out whatever the issue is during trainings, and often it may only be a temporary issue. Often with youth players, dips and peaks in playing level are common, and are usually confidence driven. Many factors can go into why a player who looked strong in a tryout, is struggling during the season. Dropping them off them team completely shows only committment to winning and not to development of the players. If at the end of the season, nothing has changed, then drop them from that team for the next year.
                            Clubs that move players down mid-year get a very bad reputation. The last club that we were at tried that move. You are placed on a team in the Fall for a full year. Our previous club had an A and B team. They ended up recruiting 5-6 players during the winter. Then they moved players down to a third team (ie "C" team). They even moved 2 players from their A team down to the C team. Nobody was happy. You would think just those that lost out in the shuffle (ie moved from A to C or B to C) would be unhappy. It actually even pissed off some of the remaining A players who remained A players... Since a few Johnny-walk-ons took over their starting positions. What an ugly year.

Comment

Next season should see teams getting there ass kicked.
                              Currently there are to many kids playing up an age group so next year they will be playing up 2 age groups.
                              Parents pushing and clubs putting dollars first.

Comment

Clubs that move players down mid-year get a very bad reputation. The last club that we were at tried that move. You are placed on a team in the Fall for a full year. Our previous club had an A and B team. They ended up recruiting 5-6 players during the winter. Then they moved players down to a third team (ie "C" team). They even moved 2 players from their A team down to the C team. Nobody was happy. You would think just those that lost out in the shuffle (ie moved from A to C or B to C) would be unhappy. It actually even pissed off some of the remaining A players who remained A players... Since a few Johnny-walk-ons took over their starting positions. What an ugly year.
                                Yeah that isn't going to fly with most parents, and understandably so - they signed a one year agreement expecting a certain team and (usually) certain coach. our club has done it on rare occasion but always with a kid that is really struggling at the bottom of a roster. parents seem to either get ticked off and leave, or are grateful that the kid will be on a more appropriate level. but no way a group of parents would let that fly.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X