Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    BS! I know players who have chosen D1 over a higher academic D3 school but also know players who have chosen a better academic school over a D1 school and everything that goes with D1 soccer and sports. Not everyone thinks D1 is the pinnacle. Some players choosing D2/D3 receive academic scholarship money to offset cost. And how many, if any, of the D1 players are getting a free ride?
    I know of many many kids who chose D3 over D1 as well but not for some altruistic reason like you want to suggest. It was usually because the amount of coach interest not being equal and the difference in money being relatively equal. Usually there really wasn't a solid D1 option but the parents always threw it in to make the story sound better.

Comment

Two years ago my older DD was offered two D1 scholarships - one was a full ride, the other one was nearly full. Both schools were not her first choice but in her top 5. Instead, she picked a D3 school she loved. We were not disappointed with her decision because we did not want her to feel pressured by us. She chose her school because of academics and student life culture and it is a great fit for her.

I don't know why it is so hard to believe for some people on this forum that D1 isn't the holy grail for players wanting to play soccer in college. Ultimately players and their families need to make the best decision for their situation. And parents need to stop seeking validation for themselves through their kids and their accomplishments. Support your kids and enjoy the ride regardless of where they go to school and whether they play soccer in college.
      Speaks to having a certain financial status where money isn't an issue. Is this the mainstream opinion really?

Comment

Speaks to having a certain financial status where money isn't an issue. Is this the mainstream opinion really?
        Thanks, BTNT. And for #31 too! Oh, and good morning!

Comment

And #30!

Comment

Not who you think but don't let that stop your rant. You didn't answer the question, is spending a lot of money on club soccer and then turning down a soccer scholarship a mainstream point of view in the community of club soccer families or really is that type of family an outlier in it?

Comment

Not who you think but don't let that stop your rant. You didn't answer the question, is spending a lot of money on club soccer and then turning down a soccer scholarship a mainstream point of view in the community of club soccer families or really is that type of family an outlier in it?
              Depends who is offering the money and how much money.

For most parents in the near western Boston suburbs, even a full ride at FDU would be declined for admission to Ivy or top tier D3 school.

Comment

For most parents in the near western Boston suburbs, even a full ride at FDU would be declined for admission to Ivy or top tier D3 school.
                Bingo.

Comment

Why do you deny who you are? You're on 10 threads ranting about the exact same things in the exact same way. Your denials are just further proof (every time).

Comment

Why do you deny who you are? You're on 10 threads ranting about the exact same things in the exact same way. Your denials are just further proof (every time).
                    And your there to do what exactly?

Comment

But not Meathead. Perhaps one too many concussions playing the line at Duke. Maybe we need to show him some pity as a result of his diminished mental capacity......

Comment

And your there to do what exactly?
                        I'm going to respond to this seriously (even though I've answered a hundred times without you every answering even once), if only to expose that your rants about ruining discussions and wanting actual legitimate discussions is the last thing on earth you really want. To borrow one of your phrases, anyone with half a brain will anticipate your response (if there is one) in advance.

With most of your targeted missions and attacks, you'll often hit on something with grains of truth that potentially could yield real discussion and even significant agreement with you, but without fail you reveal that you are only interested in polarization and ultimately distortion and lies. I'll explain why this is in a minute.

I personally have agreed with you at least to some degree about excessive travel, about the specialness of true high end D1 athletes, the talent and personal determination required to be an athlete at that level, how indeed not everyone understands the qualitative difference between a legit D1 high impact player and really good D3 players, etc, etc, etc. I've told you pointblank that my kid was not a D1 player. He played D3 because he was a D3 player. He was fortunate to play D3. I've always told you I am not one of the "could have played D1 but blah, blah, blah about academics." I'm doing this again right now by just repeating all of that. I've also agreed with you to some extent about money. It's nobody's business how others spend their money, but, in general, if a kid can get money to a school roughly equivalent to another school where there is no money (and here I'm obviously including merit and FA), then any family would be smart to consider their options carefully. We certainly did. But if a family rejects 20 or 30K to a even a great school like Northeastern or many others along those lines to attend an Ivy or to play D3 at a top school, who in the heck are you to intrude on their world and for over a decade continue your destructive and disparaging rants (as though they should all stop on a dime and do what you tell them to because you believe you have some special wisdom). You certainly bitterly complain whenever anyone points out how badly you screwed up, and those comments only emerge in response to your unyielding assault.

I confront your antics because you do such a disservice to everyone and because you very actively, on a daily basis for years and years, try to bully the whole site and control every perception. Occasionally a few will fall for it due to resonating with one piece of what you say, but eventually they too see that you'll put them in the blender sooner or later. Right now you're on a D3 bash mission. As soon as someone says they agree with you then you'll tell them that they're kids are good enough for real D1 and they shouldn't be playing at all. All roads lead to you and your own personal drama with being and feeling special. We all mostly know why, so I won't belabor, but you know (at least I think you probably know). You've also told us before that you had a mission and secretly (or not so secretly) you actually believe you are responsible for whatever good has come to NEFC and whatever bad happens to your usual target clubs (and then you have the gall to come on here and act like you've been above the fray instead of creating and fueling the fray as you have done mostly in a solo mission). Sure, there are other elements. I have my own narcissism just as you do. I can own some of it. You never will. There is an element of sport. There are times when you get under my skin and others' skins.

But putting me aside for a minute, there is the solid truth that you can't walk away. You can't acknowledge that you're addicted. You can't acknowledge that you are fueled by agendas. And perhaps most significantly, you can't face yourself in the mirror and admit serious mistakes, and indeed probably 90% of your activity here is based on your need to cover up your errors and externalize on to others. That's nearly 100% of your obsession with denigrating D3. Your own family doesn't support what your are doing. Your own club and teams don't. No other posters do. And yet you press on, acting immune, acting oblivious to the damage you have done to yourself. You're a menace pure and simple, motivated by wounds that won't heal and a need to lash out against anyone and everyone. You are incapable of not injecting yourself into anything that might make you more aware. It's not just folks you deem as inferior, not just the D3 crowd. You've done it with regional team families, with players in the same realm as your youngest. You think you know what everyone should do, regarding virtually any issue, and you have to stay on that like a dog on a bone to avoid consciousness of how truly incompetent and impotent you feel inside your own being.

Comment

A top candidate for an Ivy wouldn't consider a D3 either so what's your point? You aren't actually going to put a NESCAC on the same level as an Ivy are you? No self respecting elitist parent is actually going to turn down an Ivy League education to go to even Williams or Amherst. You are talking the holy grail of snobbery. No way they turn that one down. Folks like that would give their kid up for adoption before they would acknowledge they were a fit for FDU. Who knows though those kids might end up to be better human beings if they were put up for adoption.

Comment

I'm going to respond to this seriously (even though I've answered a hundred times without you every answering even once), if only to expose that your rants about ruining discussions and wanting actual legitimate discussions is the last thing on earth you really want. To borrow one of your phrases, anyone with half a brain will anticipate your response (if there is one) in advance.

With most of your targeted missions and attacks, you'll often hit on something with grains of truth that potentially could yield real discussion and even significant agreement with you, but without fail you reveal that you are only interested in polarization and ultimately distortion and lies. I'll explain why this is in a minute.

I personally have agreed with you at least to some degree about excessive travel, about the specialness of true high end D1 athletes, the talent and personal determination required to be an athlete at that level, how indeed not everyone understands the qualitative difference between a legit D1 high impact player and really good D3 players, etc, etc, etc. I've told you pointblank that my kid was not a D1 player. He played D3 because he was a D3 player. He was fortunate to play D3. I've always told you I am not one of the "could have played D1 but blah, blah, blah about academics." I'm doing this again right now by just repeating all of that. I've also agreed with you to some extent about money. It's nobody's business how others spend their money, but, in general, if a kid can get money to a school roughly equivalent to another school where there is no money (and here I'm obviously including merit and FA), then any family would be smart to consider their options carefully. We certainly did. But if a family rejects 20 or 30K to a even a great school like Northeastern or many others along those lines to attend an Ivy or to play D3 at a top school, who in the heck are you to intrude on their world and for over a decade continue your destructive and disparaging rants (as though they should all stop on a dime and do what you tell them to because you believe you have some special wisdom). You certainly bitterly complain whenever anyone points out how badly you screwed up, and those comments only emerge in response to your unyielding assault.

I confront your antics because you do such a disservice to everyone and because you very actively, on a daily basis for years and years, try to bully the whole site and control every perception. Occasionally a few will fall for it due to resonating with one piece of what you say, but eventually they too see that you'll put them in the blender sooner or later. Right now you're on a D3 bash mission. As soon as someone says they agree with you then you'll tell them that they're kids are good enough for real D1 and they shouldn't be playing at all. All roads lead to you and your own personal drama with being and feeling special. We all mostly know why, so I won't belabor, but you know (at least I think you probably know). You've also told us before that you had a mission and secretly (or not so secretly) you actually believe you are responsible for whatever good has come to NEFC and whatever bad happens to your usual target clubs (and then you have the gall to come on here and act like you've been above the fray instead of creating and fueling the fray as you have done mostly in a solo mission). Sure, there are other elements. I have my own narcissism just as you do. I can own some of it. You never will. There is an element of sport. There are times when you get under my skin and others' skins.

But putting me aside for a minute, there is the solid truth that you can't walk away. You can't acknowledge that you're addicted. You can't acknowledge that you are fueled by agendas. And perhaps most significantly, you can't face yourself in the mirror and admit serious mistakes, and indeed probably 90% of your activity here is based on your need to cover up your errors and externalize on to others. That's nearly 100% of your obsession with denigrating D3. Your own family doesn't support what your are doing. Your own club and teams don't. No other posters do. And yet you press on, acting immune, acting oblivious to the damage you have done to yourself. You're a menace pure and simple, motivated by wounds that won't heal and a need to lash out against anyone and everyone. You are incapable of not injecting yourself into anything that might make you more aware. It's not just folks you deem as inferior, not just the D3 crowd. You've done it with regional team families, with players in the same realm as your youngest. You think you know what everyone should do, regarding virtually any issue, and you have to stay on that like a dog on a bone to avoid consciousness of how truly incompetent and impotent you feel inside your own being.
                            Wait ... the melt down is coming. What a nutter.

Comment

A top candidate for an Ivy wouldn't consider a D3 either so what's your point? You aren't actually going to put a NESCAC on the same level as an Ivy are you? No self respecting elitist parent is actually going to turn down an Ivy League education to go to even Williams or Amherst. You are talking the holy grail of snobbery. No way they turn that one down. Folks like that would give their kid up for adoption before they would acknowledge they were a fit for FDU. Who knows though those kids might end up to be better human beings if they were put up for adoption.
                              Thanks again, BTNT. You seem to be here quite a bit.

Comment

Wait ... the melt down is coming. What a nutter.
                                As predicted. All talk. No game.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X