Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day in the life of a non-athlete college student

I have no sympathy for college athletes - here's my typical schedule from college.

5:00am - wake up for bus commute to school
    7:00am - 3:00pm classes with lunch and study mixed in
    3:00pm - leave for bus commute to work
    4:00pm - 1:00am or so - work
    1:00am - whenever I fell asleep, I'm studying

Repeat above 5 days/week

Weekends - try to recover from the week's lack of sleep and catch up on studying. Most Saturdays and Sundays and most holidays, work to pay for college from somewhere around noon to 1:00am or so.

Lots of situations out there to compare the college athlete to and the rigor of a crazy schedule and struggles to find time to study to keep grades up. This was not out of any failure of my own. I was a great student, and left college with almost zero debt, but I worked my ass off in the process. I don't have regrets or envy the college athlete, nor do I pity them either. I'm very successful in my professional and personal life. We all make choices, its a part of growing up and becoming an adult.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I have no sympathy for college athletes - here's my typical schedule from college.

5:00am - wake up for bus commute to school
      7:00am - 3:00pm classes with lunch and study mixed in
      3:00pm - leave for bus commute to work
      4:00pm - 1:00am or so - work
      1:00am - whenever I fell asleep, I'm studying

Repeat above 5 days/week

Weekends - try to recover from the week's lack of sleep and catch up on studying. Most Saturdays and Sundays and most holidays, work to pay for college from somewhere around noon to 1:00am or so.

Lots of situations out there to compare the college athlete to and the rigor of a crazy schedule and struggles to find time to study to keep grades up. This was not out of any failure of my own. I was a great student, and left college with almost zero debt, but I worked my ass off in the process. I don't have regrets or envy the college athlete, nor do I pity them either. I'm very successful in my professional and personal life. We all make choices, its a part of growing up and becoming an adult.
      You shouldn't unless that's how they are paying for their tuition. Precisely why if you are doing all of this, plus playing soccer and paying the full tuition freight while telling everyone that your primary interest is the academics that people look at you sideways. Good luck in your studies, seems like you might have your head screwed on a little better than some here.

Comment

You shouldn't unless that's how they are paying for their tuition. Precisely why if you are doing all of this, plus playing soccer and paying the full tuition freight while telling everyone that your primary interest is the academics that people look at you sideways. Good luck in your studies, seems like you might have your head screwed on a little better than some here.
        Lol, BTNT, no one ever said their only interest was academics. That's what you're selling that they SHOULD think if they are D3. There are some things your brain simply refuses to compute for you.

Comment

Lol, BTNT, no one ever said their only interest was academics. That's what you're selling that they SHOULD think if they are D3. There are some things your brain simply refuses to compute for you.
          Clearly there are some extremely foolish parents out there that like getting less than what think they are paying for. Good thing their parents are footing that bill for such expensive education maybe they won't grow up to be so gullible

Comment

Clearly there are some extremely foolish parents out there that like getting less than what think they are paying for. Good thing their parents are footing that bill for such expensive education maybe they won't grow up to be so gullible
            Not all of us can send our kids to be athletic stars at a prestigious D1 that academically is way over our kids' heads. We just have to make do with what we got. Please don't be so harsh.

Comment

Not all of us can send our kids to be athletic stars at a prestigious D1 that academically is way over our kids' heads. We just have to make do with what we got. Please don't be so harsh.
              Probably right, everyone does do what they got to do, but then why the monstrous Napoleon complex? If parent's want to play the compare game and spend so much energy trying to compare kid's landing spots why are they then getting so angry that there are clearly differences in level? Why is it OK for someone to write above that they have no respect for the trials of D1 and D2 athletes but then expect respect for their trials? More specifically if you truly are sending your kid to a school like Williams for the education a great school like that provides why spend so much energy trying to elevate it's level of soccer and then trash just about everything that kids who are focused on their soccer accomplish if you weren't green with envy? Harsh cuts both ways and when you are on a soccer forum constantly crapping on soccer accomplishment why is anyone surprised when they get their nose rubbed in it?

Comment

Probably right, everyone does do what they got to do, but then why the monstrous Napoleon complex? If parent's want to play the compare game and spend so much energy trying to compare kid's landing spots why are they then getting so angry that there are clearly differences in level? Why is it OK for someone to write above that they have no respect for the trials of D1 and D2 athletes but then expect respect for their trials? More specifically if you truly are sending your kid to a school like Williams for the education a great school like that provides why spend so much energy trying to elevate it's level of soccer and then trash just about everything that kids who are focused on their soccer accomplish if you weren't green with envy? Harsh cuts both ways and when you are on a soccer forum constantly crapping on soccer accomplishment why is anyone surprised when they get their nose rubbed in it?
                You just continue to make stuff up and lie over and over. No one dissed the trials of D1. They just said calm down a little with the making it sound like Auschwitz. No one has compared Williams soccer to Duke soccer either. That said, a kid can want to go to a great school and also devote themselves to playing soccer there. Thousands of kids do just that for any number of different sports. You are the source of 95 per cent of the ugliness on this site. Oh, and good morning. Want to finally cop to Suzie today, speaking of pure ugliness?

Comment

Why are you the leader of rubbing people's noses in stuff? And why are you sending your kid to such an elite academic school when apparently soccer is primary for you and when your kid is not at the top of the admissions pool as you insist for everyone else?

Comment

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Comment

You just continue to make stuff up and lie over and over. No one dissed the trials of D1. They just said calm down a little with the making it sound like Auschwitz. No one has compared Williams soccer to Duke soccer either. That said, a kid can want to go to a great school and also devote themselves to playing soccer there. Thousands of kids do just that for any number of different sports. You are the source of 95 per cent of the ugliness on this site. Oh, and good morning. Want to finally cop to Suzie today, speaking of pure ugliness?
                      Pretty clear you're never going to get an honest, straightforward answer out of the guy. Just who he is. Character doesn't grow on trees. If he wants or needs a mulligan on that one just give it to him.

Comment

most college coaches are hopeless

Pretty clear you're never going to get an honest, straightforward answer out of the guy. Just who he is. Character doesn't grow on trees. If he wants or needs a mulligan on that one just give it to him.
                        look at the head coaches at the various local women's colleges especially the u mass systems - come on man - its a joke how they have these positions

Comment

look at the head coaches at the various local women's colleges especially the u mass systems - come on man - its a joke how they have these positions
                          This is relevant to what was posted, how?

Comment

Why are you the leader of rubbing people's noses in stuff? And why are you sending your kid to such an elite academic school when apparently soccer is primary for you and when your kid is not at the top of the admissions pool as you insist for everyone else?
                            Questions could be posed to you as well. Like why are you such a d bag on this site? Ever consider that if you weren't such an a-hole all the time then no one would get the enjoyment of winding you up and watching you melt down. Doubt anyone but you takes many of these topics all that seriously and they post just to get a rise out of you.

Comment

Questions could be posed to you as well. Like why are you such a d bag on this site? Ever consider that if you weren't such an a-hole all the time then no one would get the enjoyment of winding you up and watching you melt down. Doubt anyone but you takes many of these topics all that seriously and they post just to get a rise out of you.
                              No one but me takes any topics seriously? Really? Except for you? Why do you repeat yourself so much and go after the same targets every single day. BTW, I don't melt down and I don't mind getting wound up. I thoroughly enjoy myself on the site. How about you?

Comment

"Why do you repeat yourself so much and go after the same targets every single day?"

LOL!!! Did Perspective really say this?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X