Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    How many clubs are "done" or in dire straits after tryouts this year?
    6 clubs

Comment

Already eliminating teams and moving got soccer points.

Comment

You lose a lot of leverage after you paid the deposit. One of my kid's team had a group chat so we all knew what everyone was doing after tryouts. It was obvious the coach wasn't divulging the no. of kids that accepted offers and those that declined. But parents knew. The club will do everything they can to keep you (and keep your money), such as funnel you into a different team (weaker team or play up an age group or two). In any event, the alternative team will likely be a rag tag group. They will likely drag out the process as far as they can, so have a plan B. Or abandon plan A now and go with Plan B.

My nephew played for a club out west and they paid the deposit only to find their kid got placed on a different team than they thought. Within a few days, they asked for a refund on their deposit and had to fight it out for weeks to get it back. Basically had to corner to club owner.
        This is standard GPS modus operandi. Their only goal is to get you to sign the offer and pay the deposit. Then they move the pieces around around to form the teams. Move players up to fill holes, pushing players onto weaker teams, switching coaches around, and basically lying to you every which way they can in order to get your deposit. They accumulate as many pieces as possible and build the teams from there. This past spring I saw so many GPS coaches at town soccer games recruiting anybody and everybody. Quantity over quality every day of the week. Walmart experience at Tiffany prices.

Comment

This is standard GPS modus operandi. Their only goal is to get you to sign the offer and pay the deposit. Then they move the pieces around around to form the teams. Move players up to fill holes, pushing players onto weaker teams, switching coaches around, and basically lying to you every which way they can in order to get your deposit. They accumulate as many pieces as possible and build the teams from there. This past spring I saw so many GPS coaches at town soccer games recruiting anybody and everybody. Quantity over quality every day of the week. Walmart experience at Tiffany prices.
          Correct.

Comment

While GPS has always been that way to some extent they have really taken it to a new level in the past year. They are losing the more talented and experienced players to better clubs (at a higher rate than in the past) and honing in on the newbies and ill informed. I suppose that is where their growth will need to come from.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            Working...
            X