Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Ha! You people are idiots. GPS Oregon is an official club. Are they a member of OYSA? No, because as a USYS association, OYSA only grants membership to non-profit organizations. Just because a club is not a member of OYSA does not mean that they are not official or not accountable. If you think that non-profit status and boards of directors (parents) translates to better player development, why does this forum field constant commentary about how crap Oregon soccer is? Look outside your own little world and see what is happening in states where they don't have the same restrictions.

The bottom line is that if players and parents don't like what they are getting with their fees at one club, they are free to choose another (and they do so, with wild abandon). How a club does their accounting makes no difference to me personally if I feel I'm getting value out of my $. In fact, I'd much rather someone who knows soccer make the decisions in a club rather than parents on a board. Imagine, the people posting the anonymous comments in this forum are guiding the direction of your kids' club. Good luck to you!
    Link to any information proving that GPS Oregon is an official anything...

Comment

Link to any information proving that GPS Oregon is an official anything...
      This guy says so:

https://youtu.be/ASt1MnMRXcQ

Comment

Ha! You people are idiots. GPS Oregon is an official club. Are they a member of OYSA? No, because as a USYS association, OYSA only grants membership to non-profit organizations. Just because a club is not a member of OYSA does not mean that they are not official or not accountable. If you think that non-profit status and boards of directors (parents) translates to better player development, why does this forum field constant commentary about how crap Oregon soccer is? Look outside your own little world and see what is happening in states where they don't have the same restrictions.

The bottom line is that if players and parents don't like what they are getting with their fees at one club, they are free to choose another (and they do so, with wild abandon). How a club does their accounting makes no difference to me personally if I feel I'm getting value out of my $. In fact, I'd much rather someone who knows soccer make the decisions in a club rather than parents on a board. Imagine, the people posting the anonymous comments in this forum are guiding the direction of your kids' club. Good luck to you!
        i was waiting for this response and you did not disappoint. thank you *clinks mugs*

Comment

If GPS is not registered with OYSA/USYSA, then whom are they registered with?

The other choices are:

1) AYSO. AYSO's competitive program, AYSO United, does not have a presence in Oregon (AYSO is mainly all about rec clubs). Not sure if AYSO allows for-profit entities to register.

2) US Club. ECNL is run through US Club Soccer; clubs/teams also need to be registered through US Soccer if they want to participate in tournaments like NWCL. (One sign that a local team is indeed "premier" is a US Club registration).

3) US Soccer directly (USYSA, AYSO, and US Club are all US Soccer affiliates). US Soccer only registers DA/GDA programs at youth club level. Being a nonprofit is not a requirement (given that many MLS and NWSL franchises are running DA/GDA programs), but outside programs such as DA, US Soccer doesn't register individual clubs.

Being registered by US Soccer, or one of it's affiliate agencies, is usually what is needed to be considered an "official" club.

GPS? They are in the business of marketing a training/branding program, and rather than registering or forming clubs directly, they instead associate with existing clubs/teams. As such, they're not a "club" in the usual sense at all. As noted, they are for-profit. That doesn't make them bad or evil, necessarily, but treating them as a club (including wondering about their registration) is missing the point.

A few things should be noted/asked:

1) Is their primary purpose to raise money, or to identify/develop talent for Bayern Munich? Given their for-profit status, and that Bayern is not hurting for players domestically, and that most US citizens cannot move to Germany to play until 18 per FIFA rules (unless, like Christian Pulisic, you can get an EU passport), I tend to suspect the former. If Bayern really thought that the US was a untapped region of soccer talent, they would have no problems running their US scouting program as a non-profit. Some Liga MX teams do exactly that, and scout the US looking for prospects (generally those with Mexican passports, but quite a few gringos are now playing south of the border).

2) There is no secret sauce. This is not to suggest that GPS has no value--but how to develop soccer players is not a hidden black art, which only one club in southern Germany has figured out. GPS, which appears to prefer the European style of the game (many of the local clubs are far more influenced these days by Latin soccer), may be a good alternative for some kids, but any suggestion that GPS coaches know things that Westside or FC or ADF coaches don't, is silly.

Comment

The other choices are:

1) AYSO. AYSO's competitive program, AYSO United, does not have a presence in Oregon (AYSO is mainly all about rec clubs). Not sure if AYSO allows for-profit entities to register.

2) US Club. ECNL is run through US Club Soccer; clubs/teams also need to be registered through US Soccer if they want to participate in tournaments like NWCL. (One sign that a local team is indeed "premier" is a US Club registration).

3) US Soccer directly (USYSA, AYSO, and US Club are all US Soccer affiliates). US Soccer only registers DA/GDA programs at youth club level. Being a nonprofit is not a requirement (given that many MLS and NWSL franchises are running DA/GDA programs), but outside programs such as DA, US Soccer doesn't register individual clubs.

Being registered by US Soccer, or one of it's affiliate agencies, is usually what is needed to be considered an "official" club.

GPS? They are in the business of marketing a training/branding program, and rather than registering or forming clubs directly, they instead associate with existing clubs/teams. As such, they're not a "club" in the usual sense at all. As noted, they are for-profit. That doesn't make them bad or evil, necessarily, but treating them as a club (including wondering about their registration) is missing the point.

1) Is their primary purpose to raise money, or to identify/develop talent for Bayern Munich? Given their for-profit status, and that Bayern is not hurting for players domestically, and that most US citizens cannot move to Germany to play until 18 per FIFA rules (unless, like Christian Pulisic, you can get an EU passport), I tend to suspect the former. If Bayern really thought that the US was a untapped region of soccer talent, they would have no problems running their US scouting program as a non-profit. Some Liga MX teams do exactly that, and scout the US looking for prospects (generally those with Mexican passports, but quite a few gringos are now playing south of the border).

2) There is no secret sauce. This is not to suggest that GPS has no value--but how to develop soccer players is not a hidden black art, which only one club in southern Germany has figured out. GPS, which appears to prefer the European style of the game (many of the local clubs are far more influenced these days by Latin soccer), may be a good alternative for some kids, but any suggestion that GPS coaches know things that Westside or FC or ADF coaches don't, is silly.
            This is like debating over Obama's citizenship....it's growing old quickly

Comment

The other choices are:

GPS Oregon is registered with US Club. As the name would suggest, they are, in fact, a soccer club.

They register players/teams in OYSA through partnerships with other OYSA members.

There are several European countries known for their style of football (not always positively) so I'm not sure what "style" you're talking about, but if you are referring to tiki-taka (short-passing, lots of movement and possession, playing out of the back) then, ok. Think Spanish national team, FC Barcelona, Johan Cruyff, etc. That doesn't mean that all GPS Oregon teams execute it perfectly (or that all coaches necessarily coach it consistently/successfully), but that's the goal. You not knowing that suggests to me you aren't as familiar with GPS as you are trying to sound. (Love him or hate him, MJ is all about tiki-taka and that fact is well-known.)

Again, not saying that GPS has any sort of magic anything. What I am saying is that just because they aren't organized the same way as the other local clubs doesn't necessarily make them a bad choice for players. I sure as hell hope they ARE making money, just like any other club would hope to do.

Comment

How come no GNT callups for GPS? Thought they were the best of the best...

http://www.soccerwire.com/news/clubs...al-team-camps/

Comment

No Oregon girls at all. Nice to see the DA goalie from Seattle Reign got called up.

Comment

No Oregon girls at all. Nice to see the DA goalie from Seattle Reign got called up.
                    And a defender from Seattle Reign.

Comment

Our girls have better things to do! And better coaches.

Comment

Really? You have issues buddy.

Comment

Our girls have better things to do! And better coaches.
                          That is funny, you are right. Does playing the Dragons in the PSPL constitute "better things to do"? I can't stop laughing.

Comment

Maybe, if you look at it as a means to an end. Sorry if that doesn't fit your d*ck narrative.

Comment

Maybe, if you look at it as a means to an end. Sorry if that doesn't fit your d*ck narrative.
                              The only weird narrative is you have a means to an end as a direction for your daughter. This should be a step in life's journey, to have an end is close minded.

Save your money and expect to pay for College. Makes this soccer stuff more enjoyable.

Comment

The only weird narrative is you have a means to an end as a direction for your daughter. This should be a step in life's journey, to have an end is close minded.

Save your money and expect to pay for College. Makes this soccer stuff more enjoyable.
                                I don't have a daughter and my point was that maybe the club has a big-picture reason for playing in the PSPL. Listening to the posters on other threads, I can think of a few reasons why GPS might do that.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X