Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ODP/RTC a complete waste of time & money?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    don't see the problem about playing soccer on a long weekend. Think about it you didn't have to burn a vacation day to watch your child play sports. But will agree coaching and training was just marginal.
    The level of sacrifice that has to be made for a committed competitive soccer player is huge. It would be nice to allow families to have a few holiday weekends to go on family trips. And the tournamnents like Friendship cup are really not very compelling.

And I will echo comments above about the level of coaching. Not very good.

Comment

The level of sacrifice that has to be made for a committed competitive soccer player is huge. It would be nice to allow families to have a few holiday weekends to go on family trips. And the tournamnents like Friendship cup are really not very compelling.

And I will echo comments above about the level of coaching. Not very good.
      It's the parents fault for continuing to sign up & pay. If ODP (or ECNL, or GDA, or even club) isn't good for your child or your family, then don't do it. Simple as that. If your child is truly good, I guarantee you they will be found. More family & social time & more study time might even turn out more beneficial in the end. To each their own.

Comment

One of the big perks of joining thorns is going back and pounding your former team.

Comment

One of the big perks of joining thorns is going back and pounding your former team.
          Except usually they lose to their former teams. No Thorns Academy team has ever won the league in OYSA. Imagine that - create an "all-star" team of the supposed best players from all the Timbers clubs and they still can't beat the teams they left behind. Perhaps Thorns Academy doesn't really attract the best players...

Comment

It's the parents fault for continuing to sign up & pay. If ODP (or ECNL, or GDA, or even club) isn't good for your child or your family, then don't do it. Simple as that. If your child is truly good, I guarantee you they will be found. More family & social time & more study time might even turn out more beneficial in the end. To each their own.
            I agree with a lot of what you said but my daughter is worried if she skips events like the friendship cup that it will affect her position on the team. You zip from 3-4 trainings a week to extra workouts to technical training to rtc to odp to tournaments to team meetings and it leaves very few moments to travel and have down time with family. Odp schedules poor events on holiday weekends.

Comment

Except usually they lose to their former teams. No Thorns Academy team has ever won the league in OYSA. Imagine that - create an "all-star" team of the supposed best players from all the Timbers clubs and they still can't beat the teams they left behind. Perhaps Thorns Academy doesn't really attract the best players...
              Is that why they don't play up?

Comment

I agree with a lot of what you said but my daughter is worried if she skips events like the friendship cup that it will affect her position on the team. You zip from 3-4 trainings a week to extra workouts to technical training to rtc to odp to tournaments to team meetings and it leaves very few moments to travel and have down time with family. Odp schedules poor events on holiday weekends.
                They live off of your fear. Most clubs live off of your fear. Fear is the best motivator for you to write them checks.

Comment

They live off of your fear. Most clubs live off of your fear. Fear is the best motivator for you to write them checks.
                  Exactly. If a kid is talented you can tell them to F off. But most parents deep down know their kids aren't super-special, just more talented than average. Fear of being left behind runs rampant.

Get off the crazy train

Comment

ODP isn't going to effect your DD's position on the team. If they are a top player, they can do whatever they want. If they aren't a top player they are just filler & the end result of position on team will be the same. They play off your fear. There aren't any other free weekends with all the other soccer and too many players are scared to miss ODP. Man up and skip it - it will all work out the same in the end.

Comment

Kind of like beating up the weaker kids on the playground when you were young. It might not be politically correct, but it sure feels nice.

Comment

Kind of like beating up the weaker kids on the playground when you were young. It might not be politically correct, but it sure feels nice.
                        Don't blame parents if they want to win. Isn't that why we have our kids play? To win. What else is their?

Comment

Don't blame parents if they want to win. Isn't that why we have our kids play? To win. What else is their?
                          Same. We are a winners society. That's why we are into sports. To win.

Comment

I just read that they only had 6 people sign up? Is that true? Is that because people weren't happy with coaching? Or other reasons? Will they go ahead if they don't have enough for a full team? Doesn't sound like an ideal situation.
                            The coaching last year was not good. I wouldn't recommend anyone do this.

Comment

I just read that they only had 6 people sign up? Is that true? Is that because people weren't happy with coaching? Or other reasons? Will they go ahead if they don't have enough for a full team? Doesn't sound like an ideal situation.
                              That would be really bad. I wonder at what point they start combining age groups if they get low turnout?

Comment

That would be really bad. I wonder at what point they start combining age groups if they get low turnout?
                                Email was already sent that 00 and 01 girls are combined.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X