Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All State Debate

Are defenders overlooked when it comes to All-State awards? What are your thoughts/opinions on this?

Haven’t seen the girls list yet, but here’s the Boys numbers by class:

Class S - 22 total - 2 defenders
    Class M - 24 total - 3 defenders
    Class L - 24 total - 3 defenders
    Class LL - 23 total - 2 defenders

Disclaimer - my kid is not a defender

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Are defenders overlooked when it comes to All-State awards? What are your thoughts/opinions on this?

In short, unfortunately yes, top defenders do get screwed. The voters are simply enamored with goals, hence the high number of forwards and midfielders. And two spots always need to go to the keepers. Defenders are obviously every bit as important, but accolades are tough to come by.

Comment

Each teams BEST players get selected. Unfortunately most defenders aren’t the best players off their high school teams

Comment

The Logical Voice

Who decides they are just "defenders"? You?

This isn't about "positions". it's about identifying the best players with the tools and information available to those making these selections.

Comment

Each teams BEST players get selected. Unfortunately most defenders aren’t the best players off their high school teams
          Not always true, but despite their vital role it's not a glamorous position. The leading scorers, GKs and other flashy players get most of the spotlight

Comment

thats a lot of players for each all state team. how do they break down the teams , players. Does final ranking in state get you more players?

Comment

Who decides they are just "defenders"? You?

This isn't about "positions". it's about identifying the best players with the tools and information available to those making these selections.
              Not the OP, but what are you talking about with “who decides they are just defenders”? They list them by position on the All-State teams.

What are the “tools” available to make the decisions exactly? And why shouldn’t it be about positions anyway? A top quality defender is every bit as important as a top goal scorer.

Comment

Not the OP, but what are you talking about with “who decides they are just defenders”? They list them by position on the All-State teams.

What are the “tools” available to make the decisions exactly? And why shouldn’t it be about positions anyway? A top quality defender is every bit as important as a top goal scorer.
                you know how they identify top defenders- those are the players who shut down top forwards
                not really that hard

Comment

thats a lot of players for each all state team. how do they break down the teams , players. Does final ranking in state get you more players?
                  vote is taken before the states- and is based of conf ballots that are done before the conf tourney
                  but if your team is on top of conf standings you probably have better players so yes you get more of them

Comment

you know how they identify top defenders- those are the players who shut down top forwards
                    not really that hard
                    Agreed. In my niece's area, they list from the best attackers (starting at #1) back to the GK (#11 - only 1), including a CB and OB.

Comment

Big leagues have changed to best 11. But I agree that at this level best players are offense. No point in punishing these very good players.

Comment

Big leagues have changed to best 11. But I agree that at this level best players are offense. No point in punishing these very good players.
                        No doubt one of the top 3 (most likely 2) top players on my team would be a CB. Absolutely nuts if you dont solidify the entire middle of your field.

Comment

Agreed. In my niece's area, they list from the best attackers (starting at #1) back to the GK (#11 - only 1), including a CB and OB.
                          No one cares. 99% are club kids. That's whe re e it matters. No college cares about all pequot conference

Comment

No doubt one of the top 3 (most likely 2) top players on my team would be a CB. Absolutely nuts if you dont solidify the entire middle of your field.
                            Then your coach should have nominated them so that the other coaches could rate them against the other nominees
                            That’s how you get AllState- it’s not about best on your team it’s about best in conference, then best in state, then best in region and finally beat in country
                            And guess what- they don’t care what position you are just that you’re good

Comment

So when are the all state players announced? How about the senior bowl teams?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X