Serious studies and College soccer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FACT: Scholarship kids are doing a job. Bottom line.

Travel, practices, weights, video reviews, all take away SIGNIFICANT time to do other things - FACT

And the most talented players can not magically get extra hours in the day.

The job is ALL YEAR round as camp attendance tends to be required - FACT

Summer classes are limited. Internships are limited if you cannot work the summer, also hard to even get to interviews which tend to be during season, research/clinical options while at school is limited, labs are hard to fit in, etc.

Your Duke kid is at a time disadvantage vs. any other kid without a year-round job - FACT. Just admit it.

Can they make up for it by never sleeping, having absolutely no life outside of soccer and class, missing out on all other aspects of college, yes. But just admit there are massive trade-offs. That was your choice. Go back to talking about the $$ because at least that is a valid point and your kid earned it.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Enough already. Many highly skilled players don't want soccer to dominate their college experience. Conversely there's plenty of D1 athletes who aren't great and rarely play.
      Ok dad, we believe you, your kid is NT level and is wicked smart. Endicot was a great landing spot for them.

Comment

FACT: Scholarship kids are doing a job. Bottom line.

Travel, practices, weights, video reviews, all take away SIGNIFICANT time to do other things - FACT

And the most talented players can not magically get extra hours in the day.

The job is ALL YEAR round as camp attendance tends to be required - FACT

Summer classes are limited. Internships are limited if you cannot work the summer, also hard to even get to interviews which tend to be during season, research/clinical options while at school is limited, labs are hard to fit in, etc.

Your Duke kid is at a time disadvantage vs. any other kid without a year-round job - FACT. Just admit it.

Can they make up for it by never sleeping, having absolutely no life outside of soccer and class, missing out on all other aspects of college, yes. But just admit there are massive trade-offs. That was your choice. Go back to talking about the $$ because at least that is a valid point and your kid earned it.
        Some people are just naturally smart

Comment

Some people are just naturally smart
          Yep, and they always have a 3.1 GPA in prep school....which does roughly correlate with an Endicott admission.

Comment

Enough already. Many highly skilled players don't want soccer to dominate their college experience. Conversely there's plenty of D1 athletes who aren't great and rarely play.
            Ding ding we have a winner!

Comment

Ok dad, we believe you, your kid is NT level and is wicked smart. Endicot was a great landing spot for them.
              Did the poster claim that? There is no doubt yours isn't since there are so few student athletes of that caliber.

Comment

YNT level from this area have shown to be nothing but mediocre,overrated players.

Comment

YNT level from this area have shown to be nothing but mediocre,overrated players.
                  Only a jealous troll would claim that YNT players are “mediocre”. I would love to know where you see them stack up against your kid, and what lovely adjective you would use to describe them.

Go watch AS play next weekend and then tell me how mediocre she is. Please.

Comment

If that D1 kid is serious about their studies they’ll do just fine in the classroom, not that much different than the kids playing at the D3 level. Playing soccer in college takes time and effort. Herein is the rub though, if those D1 kids are out on the field playing they are getting money and if they’re playing a lot they’re getting a lot of money. At that level if you are working you get paid.

Comment

Not going to call out players even by initials.My ds team played against YNT laden teams 3xs and won every game.So ya I’ve seen firsthand.

Comment

Not going to call out players even by initials.My ds team played against YNT laden teams 3xs and won every game.So ya I’ve seen firsthand.
                        Winning a game is a team effort. Just because a team has a YNT player or two on them doesn’t mean the team will be unbeatable. In fact some times, the YNT players can be double teamed entire games, or they try to do too much because they are expected to “carry” a team. Or if there are more than one, there is a weird dynamic. If the coach isn’t up to task to address those challenges or effectively bridge the talent gaps, a team like that can struggle, or a better coach on the other sideline can expose that. But as a singular talent, those YNT talents are usually pretty awesome compared to the rest of the players around here. And you can call the mediocre if it makes feel better, but in the end, it’s them who are getting the brass ring so to speak. Full ride D1 scholarships to top 25 power programs. I think the rest of us would be happy to have our kids be “mediocre” if that is the payoff.

Comment

And who are you to judge anyone’s soccer talent? Might you be the dad who is a club soccer coach? Given most of the crap around here that hardly qualifies you as a solid talent evaluator. That said the programs kids go to, the amount of play they get and the money they receive are really the only criteria that matters.

Comment

Winning a game is a team effort. Just because a team has a YNT player or two on them doesn’t mean the team will be unbeatable. In fact some times, the YNT players can be double teamed entire games, or they try to do too much because they are expected to “carry” a team. Or if there are more than one, there is a weird dynamic. If the coach isn’t up to task to address those challenges or effectively bridge the talent gaps, a team like that can struggle, or a better coach on the other sideline can expose that. But as a singular talent, those YNT talents are usually pretty awesome compared to the rest of the players around here. And you can call the mediocre if it makes feel better, but in the end, it’s them who are getting the brass ring so to speak. Full ride D1 scholarships to top 25 power programs. I think the rest of us would be happy to have our kids be “mediocre” if that is the payoff.
                            I coach club and have a kid who plays on a local ECNL team. Not a YNT caliber player, but talented. What I see with those “top” caliber players is that, at least in their “home” club environments, they try and do too much. Too many touches, too much dribbling, rarely play simple, smart soccer. It’s like all they ever heard was “your the best, get the ball at your feet and go”. Talent comes in many forms and at the end of the day, there are 11 players a side on the pitch. I’ll take a smart soccer player who understands the game and plays simple when it makes sense than the super talented player who can’t seem to figure out how to use their teammates. If you want it to be all about you, try golf or track...

Comment

And who are you to judge anyone’s soccer talent? Might you be the dad who is a club soccer coach? Given most of the crap around here that hardly qualifies you as a solid talent evaluator. That said the programs kids go to, the amount of play they get and the money they receive are really the only criteria that matters.
                              OK, BTNT. Thanks.

Comment

I coach club and have a kid who plays on a local ECNL team. Not a YNT caliber player, but talented. What I see with those “top” caliber players is that, at least in their “home” club environments, they try and do too much. Too many touches, too much dribbling, rarely play simple, smart soccer. It’s like all they ever heard was “your the best, get the ball at your feet and go”. Talent comes in many forms and at the end of the day, there are 11 players a side on the pitch. I’ll take a smart soccer player who understands the game and plays simple when it makes sense than the super talented player who can’t seem to figure out how to use their teammates. If you want it to be all about you, try golf or track...
                                Yes that is often the biggest issue, But as I said in my previous post the coach Hass to be up to the task of reigning that stuff in and having these top talents work with their teammates more. At the younger ages they were usually so far ahead they could take on five defenders and get through to score or something like that, but as girls get bigger and stronger and faster, even the best of players need to work within the team system to have success. Often they do not learn that lesson because their club coach just lets them do whatever they want, usually to their detriment.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X