Youth Soccer is too expensive!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who can fundraise when the leaders all take for themselves. Joke. Check out PBG Predators fundraising. What happened with all the money they got when Abby W. came into town. What percentage of the parents fundraising actually went to TopSoccer? Who was paid an inflated fee for organizing it. Forget fundraising.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      You got me. Competitive youth soccer is really cheap. You don't have to pay for fields, training, registration fees, tournament fees, uniforms, indoor space, gas, hotels , airline tickets, rental cars, trainer travel, or anything else. All free!
      Yep, I am at 7k for the season so far, adding $ in ID camps. The travel costs of airfare and team bus are by far the highest.

Comment

Yep, I am at 7k for the season so far, adding $ in ID camps. The travel costs of airfare and team bus are by far the highest.
        How much of your 7k is going towards paying for the team members that have ‘scholarships’ from the club?

Comment

Title: Youth soccer is too expensive

Me: Yeah, so? Your options are ... conduct a coup of your club's board and run things the way you want...
          This is my favorite suggestion. Yes, please! Because what they'll get is an eye opening experience that running a soccer club ain't cheap.

Start cutting corners and see what happens.

Field conditions deteriorate? Better pony up better fields or better field maintenance. The parent complaints and injury law suits are coming.

Negotiate lower ref fees and/or association fees? Ain't gonna happen.

Use volunteer coaches instead of paid professionals? Have fun getting them to show up consistently and be prepared to explain why the teams aren't doing well in leagues and tournaments. And little Joey and Janie's skills aren't improving.

Pay staff as contractors instead of employees to cut down on tax liability? Watch the IRS and Department of Labor hit the club with fines and penalties 2-3X more than the tax liability.

Allow equipment to degrade? Prepare for that lawsuit when a kid gets hurt.

Easy solution if someone is balking at fees to play competitive soccer. Don't play competitive soccer.

Comment

Agreed. Put your fundraising dollars towards something that can make a difference in someone's life.
            You do not get it. I have no problem with the young kids outside my local Publix fundraising. I put 3 children through youth sports. I could easily write the checks but I sent my children out to fundraise at every opportunity.

Fundraising is about building community spirit. 40 years ago the local business owner would sponsor a team. Not anymore you. You can thank our lawsuit-crazy society for that.

It makes people feel good to give money to the young smiling faces.

BTW it does make a difference in someone's life the child who feels good that others will support his/her efforts. The child learns life skills of interacting with all types of people. The ability to ask and answer questions about what, how and why they need and want the support from the community. The team builds unity working towards a common goal.

They feel they have helped pay there own way by the trading time for money. Dad/Mom can always write the check but it feels so much better when you work for it.

Youth sports fundraising does make a difference and is very beneficial to the development of the player as a person.

Fundraise on and if your team is outside fundraising at a location I frequent I will drop a few dollars into the pot.

Comment

You do not get it. I have no problem with the young kids outside my local Publix fundraising. I put 3 children through youth sports. I could easily write the checks but I sent my children out to fundraise at every opportunity.

Fundraising is about building community spirit. 40 years ago the local business owner would sponsor a team. Not anymore you. You can thank our lawsuit-crazy society for that.

BTW it does make a difference in someone's life the child who feels good that others will support his/her efforts. The child learns life skills of interacting with all types of people. The ability to ask and answer questions about what, how and why they need and want the support from the community. The team builds unity working towards a common goal.

They feel they have helped pay there own way by the trading time for money. Dad/Mom can always write the check but it feels so much better when you work for it.

Youth sports fundraising does make a difference and is very beneficial to the development of the player as a person.

Fundraise on and if your team is outside fundraising at a location I frequent I will drop a few dollars into the pot.
              I like you!

Comment

You have no problem sending your kid to Publix to beg for money? Your the problem in today’s society ! Growing up my parents would never allow me to go beg for money, that my friend is NOT a fundraiser , No different than the people standing on the exit ramps at okeechobee with a sign ! Teach your kids some values and morals mrs ghetto mommy!

Comment

You have no problem sending your kid to Publix to beg for money? Your the problem in today’s society ! Growing up my parents would never allow me to go beg for money, that my friend is NOT a fundraiser , No different than the people standing on the exit ramps at okeechobee with a sign ! Teach your kids some values and morals mrs ghetto mommy!
                  I guess that problem has been around since the 70s. 80s, 90s, until today.

If you cannot see the value in getting out in the community and asking for support I cannot help you. There is a big difference in asking for support than begging. Selling candy, flower, car washes and any other fundraisers are bad too.

I sure you are the same person that complains about the community garage sale. Why do we need to sell stuff that we would donate to goodwill anyway?

My children did not beg for money they asked for the community to support their soccer team. Sorry if that concept is above your materialistic, entitled elitist mindset.

I am sure you support giving away free government money to support criminals. The criminals that hide under the guise of being a dreamer is okay?

Comment

Without fundraising many sports programs wouldn't make it and many more kids wouldn't be able to participate (I'm talking all sports, not just soccer). There are many talented athletes out there whose parents cannot afford pricey programs. Many high school athletic teams can't even afford to buy uniforms without fundraising. It's who is doing the fundraising that comes into issue - is it a group from an underserved lower income town or school? Or are the organization's demographics middle to upper income families, which is what club soccer tends to be. I posted awhile back about a friend hitting me up for his kid's ski team adventures. They can afford it, they just want to pay less for it. It's just gross. Meanwhile I gladly give $ to an inner city program that keeps kids off the streets, teaches them a sport and life lessons any day, along with other worthwhile programs that make a difference in people's lives. Suburban club soccer that costs $3k just for fees doesn't qualify.

Comment

Switch to basketball
                      Cheaper away cheaper. Clubs are profiting big time on you

Comment

Switch to basketball
                        Sure cuz travel soccer is cheap , renting gym and coach fees are just as bad as soccer or any travel program . The big issue is the fees the cities charge to use public taxed facilities. That’s what needs to be looked at.

Comment

Sure cuz travel soccer is cheap , renting gym and coach fees are just as bad as soccer or any travel program . The big issue is the fees the cities charge to use public taxed facilities. That’s what needs to be looked at.
                          I meant travel basketball

Comment

Switch to basketball
                            AAU and other programs are no longer cheap and basketball has become nearly as bad as club soccer. A key difference however is that basketball players still can and do play on their own in pickup games, vs friends, all the time. That doesn't happen nearly often enough in soccer. Basketball is also one of the few HS sports where an outstanding player can get still recruited. There's a lot of club bball but it doesn't control the market like soccer does.

Height is a bit of an issue as well....

Comment

I agree it's parents that ultimately call the shots. But unless parents start demanding change and, better yet, start walking away from pricey clubs for less expensive alternatives, clubs will be able to get what the market is willing to pay. Parents need to stop being fearful that their kid will somehow miss out if they're not on a "top" team at a "top club by U11." Most kids won't ever even play in high school let alone college. Resist the temptation to join a costly team until they're at least 13 or 14. Seek out good coaches - they're out there - and do some supplemental work. If your kids balks at doing supplemental work then he/she isn't going to last. If they jump at any chance to have a ball at their feet then you might have a baller.
                              Sadly many parents don't know how to say no. Want the newest phone, get a job and buy it. This idea of high school kids working is not new. It existed when I was younger before iPhone's and youth sports costing more than $250 a season. Grades, work, fun. Your fun is directly related to how well you do the first two. Be a parent.

Comment

Sadly many parents don't know how to say no. Want the newest phone, get a job and buy it. This idea of high school kids working is not new. It existed when I was younger before iPhone's and youth sports costing more than $250 a season. Grades, work, fun. Your fun is directly related to how well you do the first two. Be a parent.
                                Yeah!!! Have them shovel snow or get a paper route to make some money!!!

Hate to break it t you , but it’s 2018, most of the high school jobs you mention from the 60 and 70s are no longer around or are alr day taken by lower skilled, recently arrived immigrants...

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X