Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abbey Villa - Where to go Next?

My son's coach (also a director) just left the club and he had just taken over from another coach that left in the summer. Does anyone know what is going on at Abbey villa? My son has gone to their camps in the past as well so had a lot of interaction with coaches and directors that never coached his teams and a lot of those coaches have left in the past few months too.

We're looking for somewhere to go next because it seems like things aren't going well at the club, but not sure where to go as we have always been at AV. Can you leave halfway through the year?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    My son's coach (also a director) just left the club and he had just taken over from another coach that left in the summer. Does anyone know what is going on at Abbey villa? My son has gone to their camps in the past as well so had a lot of interaction with coaches and directors that never coached his teams and a lot of those coaches have left in the past few months too.

We're looking for somewhere to go next because it seems like things aren't going well at the club, but not sure where to go as we have always been at AV. Can you leave halfway through the year?
    We are on the girls side. Its become a disaster. They lost their girls director a few years ago, the guy that replaced him just went to best. They then lost their two boys directors in 6 months. Club is in trouble. a lot of talk of players moving on.

Comment

Always been a bridge for young players and coaches to grow and move on to greener pastures.

Comment

Without knowing anything about your location or your player's abilities it's tough to give specific club advice. However, winter is a good time to explore your options. Make a list of clubs in your area that might be a good fit and a few that are a stretch. Contact them and ask to attend some winter practices to see about skill fit, coaching etc. Since it seems like the club is in disarray talk to other parents also. Normally you need to keep that stuff top secret but in this case you have to look out for your kid. Good luck

Comment

DR is the issue. Always will be. Huge ego, hard to deal with. Its time for him to sell up and move on.

Comment

Why do I always see “Aston”

Comment

Why do I always see “Aston”
              As they are currently as about successful as Abbey Villa in their respective competitive environment! Haha!

Comment

We are on the girls side. Its become a disaster. They lost their girls director a few years ago, the guy that replaced him just went to best. They then lost their two boys directors in 6 months. Club is in trouble. a lot of talk of players moving on.
                Yes, we have a lot of friend's on the girls side that have decided that they'll be leaving either this winter or June tryouts because everything seems to be falling apart. AVSC's best girls team for the last few years broke apart and I know most went to BEST.

Comment

DR is a clown. Only in the US could someone like him make a living in soccer.

Comment

DR is a clown. Only in the US could someone like him make a living in soccer.
                    Had a son and daughter there for a bit. DR was only after money. Strung us along, promising things would get better, but they never did. Thank god we are out!

Comment

AVSC is a great lesson in club soccer, but hardly a unique one.

It's all about the coach.

For a good number of years, AVSC had good structure and a group of coaches on the boys side that I would put against any other club. If your son was 7 or 8 years old, you had a great situation through the most important years of development. Unfortunately over the last year or so, DR has lost most of those coaches, at least 4 or 5.

Some clubs have coaching problems for different reasons. Some have a turnstile and can't retain talent. Worse, they might have fat and happy hanging on to nothing but reputation.

In my opinion, you should never write the check until your kid trained with the coach before "trying out" and you know that this coach is the biggest reason you're making that commitment and your own ears heard from that coach that he or she isn't going anywhere for at least that year.

Comment

For a good number of years, AVSC had good structure and a group of coaches on the boys side that I would put against any other club. If your son was 7 or 8 years old, you had a great situation through the most important years of development. Unfortunately over the last year or so, DR has lost most of those coaches, at least 4 or 5.

Some clubs have coaching problems for different reasons. Some have a turnstile and can't retain talent. Worse, they might have fat and happy hanging on to nothing but reputation.

In my opinion, you should never write the check until your kid trained with the coach before "trying out" and you know that this coach is the biggest reason you're making that commitment and your own ears heard from that coach that he or she isn't going anywhere for at least that year.
                        Good points. And I would add that you check the trustworthiness of the club when they say the desired coach will be the coach next year....and not get shuffled around. If there is a history of not following through on promises, then buyer beware, your contract probably doesn't specify commitment from the coach.

Comment

Boys Side? Didn't realize they had a boys program.

Comment

I don't know why people get so up in arms because a coach leaves a club. It's common for people to move to another company in all walks of life. Why would or should club soccer be any different?

Moving from AV to BEST is past stupid. The coach that left AV for BEST was fired from AV.

Comment

I don't know why people get so up in arms because a coach leaves a club. It's common for people to move to another company in all walks of life. Why would or should club soccer be any different?

Moving from AV to BEST is past stupid. The coach that left AV for BEST was fired from AV.
                              Sure some turnover is good, but not 5, 6, 7 coaches in the past few months from such a small club. That means trouble and is simple to see. Players play for coaches at these smaller clubs that cannot offer anything more, regardless of what the club says.

AV only had 2 of their top teams (both boys) out of their club in a Premiership level division this fall in NEP. Every single one of BEST top teams were in a Premiership level division, so not sure why moving from AV to BEST is considered stupid. Seems like BEST definitely has the better teams. Don't think it is a blemish on anyone's resume to get fired by DR, especially when he losses all his coaches!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X