Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hardly. Most could care less about basketball and they've seen the slop that is also known as high school soccer already, and could care less about that also.
    Grammar lesson: "Could care less" means they do care about it. "Most could care less about basketball" means their caring about basketball is measurable. I don't think that's what you meant to say.

Comment

The Salem newspaper did an article about the great sacrifices the academy girls are making for this once in a lifetime opportunity, and there was a very telling quote by one of the academy honchos. I'm paraphrasing but basically he said we have invested financially in these players and in return we expect loyalty and 100% commitment.

That sort of unspoken "owning" of a 14-18 year old player is I think what makes some of us uneasy with the academy in its current derivation. I don't want strangers dictating what my child and I decide. I want our freedom to do what works for her. That's why I think academy may not be the best choice unless you are legitimately too poor to afford other equivalent options, or you are that legitimate next Alex or Mia. I'm not sure there's one player on any current academy roster who fits either one of those groups. So you're left with a bunch of girls who, while talented, have no greater prospects than any birth years produced in Oregon's history, allowing academy honchos to dictate how they spend their time away from soccer because they believe the lie that they are going pro. It's actually pretty sad and I think a lot of these girls will look back on their high school years with regret.
      Owning?

Does your boss own you? S/he pays you, and expects you to be at work during business hours, and not do anything off-hours that would interfere with your ability to do your job. When kids get into a subsidized academy situation, it's not quite an employment situation, but the relationship becomes a bit different than with a pay-to-play club.

Academy kids can quit at any time. But the expectation that they focus on soccer is not unreasonable. And doesn't mean they are "owned" like cattle.

Comment

You gotta stick to soccer, and soccer only if you want to be successful.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...iday/29665797/

Comment

Like a lot of people on TS, you have no idea what you are talking about.

There is nothing in the contract about not playing HS basketball. You just can't be rostered on 2 SOCCER teams (HS and DA Team) at the same time.

It may not be practical to do both (HS Hoops and DA Soccer) since there will be a conflict and I am sure both coaches would like to make their specific sport the priority.
          HS Girls Basketball coaches don’t even consider girls soccer a sport that could ever pull away their best girls, HS coaches would never consider letting a HS Varsity 6A girls BBall player float the idea of playing DA or local club soccer while part of the most divine and competitive sport on planet earth, Girls Basketball. You like so many delusional parents actually believe people care about girls club soccer in the real world, nobody does.

Comment

You gotta stick to soccer, and soccer only if you want to be successful.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...iday/29665797/
            Back in 90’s it was possible for these 30 to 40yr olds to play whatever they wanted.

Today only recreational players can do it all, and most not very well.

Times change. 2018 is coming.

Comment

It's remarkable how you are so tuned into what "most" of the girls on four different teams are thinking and feeling. I guess the Silverton girl's dad was lying to the Salem newspaper when he said her giving up basketball was a very difficult decision.

In Silverton they don’t even have enough girls to form 3 basketball teams at the HS. His daughter was the only one who could dribble the ball from the back court to the front court. Much more of a passing oriented offense these days in that tiny Mt. Angel suburb. :)

Comment

Back in 90’s it was possible for these 30 to 40yr olds to play whatever they wanted.

Today only recreational players can do it all, and most not very well.

Times change. 2018 is coming.
                I would disagree. USWNT coaches claim the greatest predictor for young ladies graduating up to senior national team is activity in multiple sports as youths. The multisport athletes were more common at the top level even then kids with youth national team experience. The coach giving the presentation said it was a troubling stat and they want to understand why kids in the YWNT group tend to fail at moving forward to senior team.

Comment

Hardly. Most could care less about basketball and they've seen the slop that is also known as high school soccer already, and could care less about that also.
                  Jesuit would have no trouble throttling any of the Thornz Asylum teams. And Jesuit is made up of mostly ECNL players.

Comment

Thorns have collected $50,000.00 - $60,000.00 in fees from families. I doubt they’ve spent anywhere close to that for travel so the assumption they have invested in the players and own them would be false.

Comment

Multiple sports is very good for injury prevention. They should let them play basketball. It would be better for the players.

Comment

Multiple sports is very good for injury prevention. They should let them play basketball. It would be better for the players.

All of these girls can go play recreational basketball it's no big deal. do something fun like rec basketball nobody stopping them and posters here that believe that makes you better in soccer so be it .This discussion is centered around high school age girls not elementary and middle school -junior high girls that could go out and do everything

Comment

Owning?

Does your boss own you? S/he pays you, and expects you to be at work during business hours, and not do anything off-hours that would interfere with your ability to do your job. When kids get into a subsidized academy situation, it's not quite an employment situation, but the relationship becomes a bit different than with a pay-to-play club.

Academy kids can quit at any time. But the expectation that they focus on soccer is not unreasonable. And doesn't mean they are "owned" like cattle.
                          Players make the decision to play in the DA knowing the rules. If they do not want to abide by those rules they should not try out for the Thorns DA. Their choice..

Comment

Jesuit would have no trouble throttling any of the Thornz Asylum teams. And Jesuit is made up of mostly ECNL players.
                            And there tends to be a lot of liars affiliated with Ecnl in this state.

Go figure. Your point proves it.

Comment

There is a petition coming out to move Jesuit into the private school bracket for 18/19. They will be much more comfortable there!

Comment

Thorns have collected $50,000.00 - $60,000.00 in fees from families. I doubt they’ve spent anywhere close to that for travel so the assumption they have invested in the players and own them would be false.
                                It sucks they don’t let them play basketball!! I know they want to cut them off from high school connections but it’s wrong.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X