Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    This whole thread misses the point of development and pro v college. If you're at a time where college is a choice, the top pro opportunity has likely already been lost. It's not ages 18-22 where we're losing ground it's 15-18 when all these kids who make the academy teams should be playing at a higher level and fighting for spots against older ad better competition. At the top clubs, the U17s and below are where the action is. By the time they get older than that, the ones who are going to make it already have. The rest soldier on hoping for one last chance. They really should consider going to college. The chances of making it as a pro are probably about the same. If they can use soccer to pay for college they should, because that will be a bigger benefit.

For what it's worth though, a Timbers Academy player was just named the PAC 12 Player of the year after being the co-player of the year last year. Hopefully he can play professionally, but if he can't, that degree from Stanford will probably come in handy. Congrats Foster.
    Christian Pulisic wrote about this as well. He was lucky enough to have dual citizenship so he could go to Europe and develop between 16-18. Had he not had that opportunity he would have most likely gone to college.

There's also the Farfan example, where he signed a professional contract before leaving HS, but it had a college education wrapped into the deal. Sure, it's not Stanford, but he's at least focusing on school as well as his professional career. His path won't be typical though.

As for Foster, as another poster said, that has pretty much nothing to do with TA. Just like Jordan Morris is a "Sounders homegrown" his actual training was done in a pay-to-play club. MLS academies take a few top kids from clubs and stamp them as homegrown just in case. It's good business for the MLS team, but doesn't help develop players or identify talent at young ages. The US has a long way to go to catch up to everyone else.

Comment

Christian Pulisic wrote about this as well.
      I mean to include the link
      https://www.theplayerstribune.com/ch...mnt-world-cup/

Comment

Christian Pulisic wrote about this as well. He was lucky enough to have dual citizenship so he could go to Europe and develop between 16-18. Had he not had that opportunity he would have most likely gone to college.

There's also the Farfan example, where he signed a professional contract before leaving HS, but it had a college education wrapped into the deal. Sure, it's not Stanford, but he's at least focusing on school as well as his professional career. His path won't be typical though.

As for Foster, as another poster said, that has pretty much nothing to do with TA. Just like Jordan Morris is a "Sounders homegrown" his actual training was done in a pay-to-play club. MLS academies take a few top kids from clubs and stamp them as homegrown just in case. It's good business for the MLS team, but doesn't help develop players or identify talent at young ages. The US has a long way to go to catch up to everyone else.
        According to Foster his being noticed by Stanford was through the Timbers Academy. Probably the same for Sam Werner who also joined the academy at the same time and ended up at Stanford; and the same for DeVera, Garcia and Macchione at Akron (only DeVera stuck it out at Akron). For what it's worth, Foster spent a fair amount of time at Eastside where he was continually frustrated by Westside. That age group had a fair number of top players spread over several teams. He's probably had the best run from that age group now that Rubio's pro career has stalled.

Most 1st and 2nd team PAC 12 players won't get drafted by MLS teams.

Comment

According to Foster his being noticed by Stanford was through the Timbers Academy. Probably the same for Sam Werner who also joined the academy at the same time and ended up at Stanford; and the same for DeVera, Garcia and Macchione at Akron (only DeVera stuck it out at Akron). For what it's worth, Foster spent a fair amount of time at Eastside where he was continually frustrated by Westside. That age group had a fair number of top players spread over several teams. He's probably had the best run from that age group now that Rubio's pro career has stalled.

Most 1st and 2nd team PAC 12 players won't get drafted by MLS teams.
          Just an FYI Sam Werner was already going to Stanford prior to joining the DA. Already scouted and verbal.

The 2 other sw washington boys & 1 oregonian you mention were already on many college radars due to club and yes sw WA HS achievements all this exposure was prior to TimDA, going specifically to Akron did have a caleb porter connection, really nothing more than coincidence and timing after 10+ years in club soccer. Spin it any way you want.

Best run? Going to college and playing 4 years is now where the bar is set for Oregon's & SW Washingtons best. Langs has had the most prolific college career by far of that class, but those that are special nowadays don't even play in college. See Farfan.

It's funny how few players improve after their peak from 13 to 17 yrs old and hit their ceiling so young in American Soccer and Oregon.

Great to catalog these realities. See Rubio.

Comment

Just an FYI Sam Werner was already going to Stanford prior to joining the DA. Already scouted and verbal.

The 2 other sw washington boys & 1 oregonian you mention were already on many college radars due to club and yes sw WA HS achievements all this exposure was prior to TimDA, going specifically to Akron did have a caleb porter connection, really nothing more than coincidence and timing after 10+ years in club soccer. Spin it any way you want.

Best run? Going to college and playing 4 years is now where the bar is set for Oregon's & SW Washingtons best. Langs has had the most prolific college career by far of that class, but those that are special nowadays don't even play in college. See Farfan.

It's funny how few players improve after their peak from 13 to 17 yrs old and hit their ceiling so young in American Soccer and Oregon.

Great to catalog these realities. See Rubio.
            It's curious why you think I'm defending the Timbers DA. I'm not. I'm not convinced the academy has made much of a positive difference in the local soccer community.

I don't know whether Werner had verbally committed to Stanford before playing for the academy. I don't recall hearing about that at the time but that certainly doesn't mean it didn't happen. More importantly, he's receiving the benefit of a Stanford education.

You take a lot of pride in SWW soccer. That's great but I think they all played the majority of their competitive club soccer in Oregon.

Not sure what your point is about Rubio. I think what's happened in his career is a surprise to most soccer observers. He was good enough coming from Oregon to play professionally and still is playing professionally. That's better than all but a very few (and probably all the posters on this board) will ever do. The difference between those good younger players and those who go on to make it is pretty small; but it sure is noticeable.

Comment

It's curious why you think I'm defending the Timbers DA. I'm not. I'm not convinced the academy has made much of a positive difference in the local soccer community.

I don't know whether Werner had verbally committed to Stanford before playing for the academy. I don't recall hearing about that at the time but that certainly doesn't mean it didn't happen. More importantly, he's receiving the benefit of a Stanford education.

You take a lot of pride in SWW soccer. That's great but I think they all played the majority of their competitive club soccer in Oregon.

Not sure what your point is about Rubio. I think what's happened in his career is a surprise to most soccer observers. He was good enough coming from Oregon to play professionally and still is playing professionally. That's better than all but a very few (and probably all the posters on this board) will ever do. The difference between those good younger players and those who go on to make it is pretty small; but it sure is noticeable.
              If you don’t know, say you don’t know, versus guessing.

SW Wa. history of producing soccer studs speaks for itself.

The reality is nearly every good or great younger player from Oregon never goes past college, most don’t even play in college, sadly those rare youth gems that go pro don’t make any noticeable splash once they sign a pro contract and soon move on in life to pursue a career outside of soccer.

Chad Barrett has the longest career of any Oregonian and at best he is a journeyman MLS player.

Rubio was pushed onto a stage that didn’t fit his skill set, hopefully he can land somewhere and stick. But, the odds are not in his favor, unfortunately. Perhaps the USL?

Comment

The reality is nearly every good or great younger player from Oregon never goes past college, most don’t even play in college, sadly those rare youth gems that go pro don’t make any noticeable splash once they sign a pro contract and soon move on in life to pursue a career outside of soccer.

Chad Barrett has the longest career of any Oregonian and at best he is a journeyman MLS player.

Rubio was pushed onto a stage that didn’t fit his skill set, hopefully he can land somewhere and stick. But, the odds are not in his favor, unfortunately. Perhaps the USL?
                I remain surprised that word of a Stanford verbal wasn't news at the time. That's not a guess. But who really cares? He got to go, he played and hopefully he graduates.

Your comment about what happens to soccer players is the same everywhere. Hardly any players move on professionally whether they're from Oregon, Washington or elsewhere. I'm trying hard to think of SWW "studs" who are speaking for themselves about long successful pro careers.

I can think of a few from Olympia north. Who are you thinking of?

Comment

Rubio, FWIW, was also laid low by a foot injury.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x
                  Working...
                  X