X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    did the games happen?
    All Stat games took place the same day/Location as the Championsjip games.

Comment

All Stat games took place the same day/Location as the Championsjip games.
      All Star ,

Comment

All "stat" is ironic typo following the make American soccer great again comment.

Most All Star games reward top scorers. Sure a few token defenders are selected, but typically central midfielders and forwards are playing out of position around the pitch.

As an example, rarely, in the US, are holding or link midfielders valued as highly as South American countries. Makes sense as many teams bypass midfield entirely.

Comment

Sure ok

Yes whatever that means.

Comment

Bypassing midfield occurs when teams emphasize winning over development. Here's a excerpt from Scott Pugh in Deseret News describes it better than I could.

"Some coaches, driven more by the desire to win than to improve their players, will place their biggest/strongest players at central defense and center forward. That way they increase the chances of their team producing goals-for and preventing goals-against. At the same time, they will place their players with less-developed abilities into wide areas, knowing that mistakes here will cost the team less.

But by trying to “hide” their weaker players, what are they doing for their development? And what about the stronger players? What does the sweeper learn other than to kick it long, bypassing the weaker players, to the center forward who may get better at shooting but never learns to win a tackle on defense?

This tactic is criticized widely among many elite coaches, including U.S. Soccer’s Claudio Reyna who notes, “The inclination for our coaches to put their stars in the middle is one reason our country often has a problem finding talented players to fill the other positions on the field. And it explains why a lot of young stars fade when they hit a higher level.”"

While there are times when a team is under high pressure which dictate bypassing the midfield, doing so because the players are not capable of playing any other way is an indictment of the US system. Too often ISL games degenerate into goalies and defenses kicking the ball back and forth, Pong fashion.

Having coached, played, and travelled in South America, I've witnessed the players ridicule any teammate that falls into this style of play. (When I first arrived, gotta admit I was razzed as well) It's ingrained as unskilled, lazy play at a young age. The US has improved for sure over the last decade, but until we ingrain a greater appreciation for skill and tecnique, valuing the link players around the field, we will remain a second rate soccer nation.

Comment

Bypassing midfield occurs when teams emphasize winning over development. Here's a excerpt from Scott Pugh in Deseret News describes it better than I could.

"Some coaches, driven more by the desire to win than to improve their players, will place their biggest/strongest players at central defense and center forward. That way they increase the chances of their team producing goals-for and preventing goals-against. At the same time, they will place their players with less-developed abilities into wide areas, knowing that mistakes here will cost the team less.

But by trying to “hide” their weaker players, what are they doing for their development? And what about the stronger players? What does the sweeper learn other than to kick it long, bypassing the weaker players, to the center forward who may get better at shooting but never learns to win a tackle on defense?

This tactic is criticized widely among many elite coaches, including U.S. Soccer’s Claudio Reyna who notes, “The inclination for our coaches to put their stars in the middle is one reason our country often has a problem finding talented players to fill the other positions on the field. And it explains why a lot of young stars fade when they hit a higher level.”"

While there are times when a team is under high pressure which dictate bypassing the midfield, doing so because the players are not capable of playing any other way is an indictment of the US system. Too often ISL games degenerate into goalies and defenses kicking the ball back and forth, Pong fashion.

Having coached, played, and travelled in South America, I've witnessed the players ridicule any teammate that falls into this style of play. (When I first arrived, gotta admit I was razzed as well) It's ingrained as unskilled, lazy play at a young age. The US has improved for sure over the last decade, but until we ingrain a greater appreciation for skill and tecnique, valuing the link players around the field, we will remain a second rate soccer nation.
              I agree with your assessment about US (boys) soccer, at both club and high school level. The emphasis on winning games vs. development clearly hurts players in the long run. Even from purely a physical standpoint, these ridiculous tournaments where teams squeeze in 3-4 games over a weekend is just stupid, sometimes with 2 games in one day. That's a lot of kicking and running, back and forth. My eyeballs were bleeding and my neck had whiplash after the Thanksgiving tournament.

Comment

Berkshire

Does anyone know the situation at Berkshire, why the coach who replaced Jon Moodey lasted only one year? It just seems a little odd, hope someone can comment on that situation.

Comment

Does anyone know the situation at Berkshire, why the coach who replaced Jon Moodey lasted only one year? It just seems a little odd, hope someone can comment on that situation.
                  I heard it was due to his wife's job, nothing to do with his job or performance.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2140016][QUOTE=Unregistered;2140013]
                    Can we talk about the best players in the ISL from each team. Let me start in order (Add as needed):

Brooks: DS, AS, ML
                    Belmont Hill: MG, LD
                    Middlesex: JC, JQ
                    Milton: JV, AK, GL
                    Nobles: HR, MB
                    RL: BB, ME
                    St Marks: ML, CS
                    River: AD, GP
                    BB&N: JK, BG
                    Groton: WD
                    Georges: AC
                    L.A.: IM
                    Tabor: CW
                    St Sebs: SK
                    Thayer: Add
                    Govs: CM, CB, XB, TD, JD
                    MA players not accurate - AK sucked, so did GL. Impact players were RM, FOB, and DW. Consistent all year round and underrated

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2177927][QUOTE=Unregistered;2140016]

MA players not accurate - AK sucked, so did GL. Impact players were RM, FOB, and DW. Consistent all year round and underrated

jealousy among Milton parents/players. too funny.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2177927][QUOTE=Unregistered;2140016]

Jeremy, mommy told you to be a good boy did she not? LOL!!!!!

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2177941][QUOTE=Unregistered;2177927]

jealousy among Milton parents/players. too funny.
                          My son goes to Rivers buddy. This is from a parent who enjoys watching his sons games, and those three I saw several times play and they seemed to be better than those mentioned.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2178385][QUOTE=Unregistered;2177941]

My son goes to Rivers buddy. This is from a parent who enjoys watching his sons games, and those three I saw several times play and they seemed to be better than those mentioned.

riiiight. and you took the time to stalk other Milton games and then find and resurrect a dead thread to say this. Lol. Milton folks are known for crap like this. Oh and btw your entire Milton team sucked this year- fourth place lol. Programs going downhill. Overrated players who are not going anywhere college soccer wise and crappy parents.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2178414][QUOTE=Unregistered;2178385]

riiiight. and you took the time to stalk other Milton games and then find and resurrect a dead thread to say this. Lol. Milton folks are known for crap like this. Oh and btw your entire Milton team sucked this year- fourth place lol. Programs going downhill. Overrated players who are not going anywhere college soccer wise and crappy parents.
                              Wow so much love! Sounds like you wish your kid went to Milton bwahahaa. Not sure what planet (rivers or Brooks is my guess) but many of these Milton plYers will be going to play D1 college soccer including all the players mentioned. Peace.

Comment

Fixed typos

Wow so much love! Sounds like you wish your kid went to Milton bwahahaa. Not sure what planet you're from (rivers or Brooks is my guess) but many of these Milton players will be going to play college soccer including all of the players mentioned. Peace.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X