Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    You all should know by now price has been used to bludgeon ECNL clubs, even when proven time and again, with actual figures, that ECNL was no more expensive, and in many cases, actually cheaper than similar alternatives. Now, horror of horrors, ECNL and GDAP will cost the same. ;) Price no longer can be used. Let's switch to access to NT coaches as well as superior, kinder, friendlier development model to differentiate the two leagues.
    Sure. Because .05% will care about the NT component. Maybe another 15-20% about top D1 prospects. The remaining nearly 80% care about college in general and know they don't have to do GDA to get there. Cost won't drive their decisions but fit - if the player wants to play HS sports (not just soccer), staying with teammates, strength of club options/strength of coaching, likelihood of significant PT (don't do DA unless you're confident you'll be a starter), commutability etc. Good that players will have options. It won't be good for clubs within close proximity of each other as they battle over attracting talent

Comment

Sure. Because .05% will care about the NT component. Maybe another 15-20% about top D1 prospects. The remaining nearly 80% care about college in general and know they don't have to do GDA to get there. Cost won't drive their decisions but fit - if the player wants to play HS sports (not just soccer), staying with teammates, strength of club options/strength of coaching, likelihood of significant PT (don't do DA unless you're confident you'll be a starter), commutability etc. Good that players will have options. It won't be good for clubs within close proximity of each other as they battle over attracting talent
      GDA is perceived as being the more prestigious league which appeals to a lot of parents and probably some players. The constant attacks only add to new league's visibility. But I think there will be players to fill up most of these leagues.

Comment

Geez...I wonder why colleges, HS, pro-teams compete for national championship when only one can be champion? It is not for the 1% sake. It is for the best of soccer.

Comment

GDA is perceived as being the more prestigious league which appeals to a lot of parents and probably some players. The constant attacks only add to new league's visibility. But I think there will be players to fill up most of these leagues.
          I can fill my car with cheap gas too, but it isn't good for the engine...

Comment

Yes prestige will play a role for some families. But counteract that with the no HS rule and some kids won't have it, no matter how badly the parents do.

Comment

I can fill my car with cheap gas too, but it isn't good for the engine...
              Please, majority of people buy the BMW for the brand, not the engine. It is for the status. ECNL sells their brand the same way.

Comment

The point isn't to "fill" GDA rosters. They'll fill them. The question is who is on the rosters? Will it attract the top talent or not? It may over time, but for the next few years much of the top talent is already recruited and they don't necessarily need GDA. They might be attracted if a GDA club near them does offer them something better than their ECNL option. Over time GDA will pull out ahead

Comment

Please, majority of people buy the BMW for the brand, not the engine. It is for the status. ECNL sells their brand the same way.
                  So if you are driving a BMW, and another car company suddenly says that their brand new luxury car brand is the best on the market, you trade in your BMW? Better hope there is not a recall.

Comment

So if you are driving a BMW, and another car company suddenly says that their brand new luxury car brand is the best on the market, you trade in your BMW? Better hope there is not a recall.
                    Folks buy what they buy. This is the battle of the luxury soccer league brands. There is no right answer. Some will go with the BMW and some will go with the Mercedes.

Comment

The point isn't to "fill" GDA rosters. They'll fill them. The question is who is on the rosters? Will it attract the top talent or not? It may over time, but for the next few years much of the top talent is already recruited and they don't necessarily need GDA. They might be attracted if a GDA club near them does offer them something better than their ECNL option. Over time GDA will pull out ahead
                      NEFC/Breakers ECNL players will make up the majority of the older DA teams with some NPL players moving up and the occasional stud player from outside the club. The youngest team will be a combination of NPL players, some NEP players who just needed a little more time to grow and develop, and players from outside the club. The NPL teams will form after the DA teams, and then the regional teams. Really no different in structure than what NEFC/Breakers had in 2016 as they already had ECNL and NPL teams at every age group.

Stars will have a different set of problems as they need to fill out DA, ECNL, and NPL teams and they don't have the current talent to do all three. I think both DA and ECNL will end up watered down as you will split up the current talent into both top groups and backfill with other players to get the roster numbers. I think there will be significantly more disruption to FC Stars DA/ECNL/NPL teams than with NEFC/Breakers. My guess is it will take a few seasons for Stars to work out the kinks in fielding two competing top teams, and eventually decide to drop one over the other.

I don't see them being able to field competitive DA, ECNL, and NPL teams and those records will eventually impact their decision to consolidate into one top league. I'm betting for 2018 NEFC/Breakers will have the better DA record than Stars and FC Boston will have the better ECNL record, as there is less disruption and less watering down of the teams. FC Stars will recover when they commit to one top league and focus their talent there.

Comment

NEFC/Breakers ECNL players will make up the majority of the older DA teams with some NPL players moving up and the occasional stud player from outside the club. The youngest team will be a combination of NPL players, some NEP players who just needed a little more time to grow and develop, and players from outside the club. The NPL teams will form after the DA teams, and then the regional teams. Really no different in structure than what NEFC/Breakers had in 2016 as they already had ECNL and NPL teams at every age group.

Stars will have a different set of problems as they need to fill out DA, ECNL, and NPL teams and they don't have the current talent to do all three. I think both DA and ECNL will end up watered down as you will split up the current talent into both top groups and backfill with other players to get the roster numbers. I think there will be significantly more disruption to FC Stars DA/ECNL/NPL teams than with NEFC/Breakers. My guess is it will take a few seasons for Stars to work out the kinks in fielding two competing top teams, and eventually decide to drop one over the other.

I don't see them being able to field competitive DA, ECNL, and NPL teams and those records will eventually impact their decision to consolidate into one top league. I'm betting for 2018 NEFC/Breakers will have the better DA record than Stars and FC Boston will have the better ECNL record, as there is less disruption and less watering down of the teams. FC Stars will recover when they commit to one top league and focus their talent there.
                        Just to clarify, given that DA has combined age groups at u16 and u18, I don't think Stars will have too much trouble filling out those teams. It is in the U14 and U15 DA and ECNL ages that will be watered down and team performance will likely suffer for a few years.

Comment

You all should know by now price has been used to bludgeon ECNL clubs, even when proven time and again, with actual figures, that ECNL was no more expensive, and in many cases, actually cheaper than similar alternatives. Now, horror of horrors, ECNL and GDAP will cost the same. ;) Price no longer can be used. Let's switch to access to NT coaches as well as superior, kinder, friendlier development model to differentiate the two leagues.
                          It only costs the same IF you end up doing the exact same number of showcases as the ECNL mandates. At this point in time the amount of showcase travel is set to be less which will save a couple of thousand ($2-3K) a year. Anyone who sees that as insignificant when the total budget is projected to be $8-10K is just in a different tax bracket than the average family.

Comment

It only costs the same IF you end up doing the exact same number of showcases as the ECNL mandates. At this point in time the amount of showcase travel is set to be less which will save a couple of thousand ($2-3K) a year. Anyone who sees that as insignificant when the total budget is projected to be $8-10K is just in a different tax bracket than the average family.
                            And the bludgeoning continues....

Comment

Ecnl is is 2-3 events depending on age. DA is the same. Attending one less event doesn't save "thousands" And to the average soccer family it doesn't matter because generally they are in a different tax bracket. If their darling D wants ECNL they'll pay for it

Comment

Ecnl is is 2-3 events depending on age. DA is the same. Attending one less event doesn't save "thousands" And to the average soccer family it doesn't matter because generally they are in a different tax bracket. If their darling D wants ECNL they'll pay for it
                                Or high end NPL attending showcases all up and down the east coast and national playoffs in the middle of nowhere.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X