Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this bad sportsmanship?

I heard from a friend that a PAC team beat a Seattle Utd ECNL team 9-1 team today. Is this bad sportsmanship to run up the scor like this?

As a coach, I will start to pull back after a 5 or 6 goal lead. I implement restrictions on the team.

1. Any player that has already scored can no longer score. The team must find players that have not yet scored. I make it a competition to see who can provide the most assists.

2. All players, including the goalkeeper, must touch the ball. The team must move the ball around to find any players that have not yet connected a pass. This forces the players to move without the ball to get into clean passing lanes.

3. Around the world. The team must play to the striker first, who must shield the ball and play wide. The ball must then continue down that side of the pitch and be played to the goalkeeper who then must play out the opposite way. Players can play inside to the 10 or 6, but the ball must make it's way outside before playing back to the keeper. This is a great exercise that forces several things: the striker has to play with his back to goal and shield and the goalkeeper must switch the field of play.

4. If the game gets away even more, I make it a giant Rondo. No shots allowed, just possession. Again this forces the players to move without the ball to create passing lanes.

I prefer to force my team to develop, not just route weaker teams.

Comment

I don’t think it was bad sportsmanship rather an abnormality of a result. The PAC team being the favorites to win the game, however, not by that score line. That being said SU game into the game as sickness has riddled the roster with players having to come off during the game I’ll. The adding to the ones who were already missing I think that this is just once of this days where the game would be much closer with both teams at full strength, however, PAC is a very very talented team and would probably shade the game even with SU full rosters. That said I don’t see that score line happening again.

Comment

Edited for typos:
        I don’t think it was bad sportsmanship rather an abnormality of a result. The PAC team being the favorites to win the game, however, not by that score line. That being said SU came into the game as sickness has riddled the roster with players having to come off during the game ill. This adding to the ones who were already missing I think that this is just once of this days where the game would be much closer with both teams at full strength, however, PAC is a very very talented team and would probably shade the game even with SU full rosters. That said I don’t see that score line happening again.

Comment

Hard to say, were they really running up the score or did they implement restrictions and still score. Often in this situation when you put in a bunch of subs that don't play too much they get out there with some fire and end up scoring goals anyway.

SU is an absolute failure of a club on the girls side btw, with all the money and talent in the major world city of Seattle they should be a dominant national club and they can't even be relevant locally. Utterly incompetent.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          Edited for typos:
          I don’t think it was bad sportsmanship rather an abnormality of a result. The PAC team being the favorites to win the game, however, not by that score line. That being said SU came into the game as sickness has riddled the roster with players having to come off during the game ill. This adding to the ones who were already missing I think that this is just once of this days where the game would be much closer with both teams at full strength, however, PAC is a very very talented team and would probably shade the game even with SU full rosters. That said I don’t see that score line happening again.

Comment

For Washington Youth Soccer state cups, the maximum goal differential is 10 goals, so this game wouldn't have even gotten to the max.

At this level, I've gotta go with Bobby Bowden: It’s not my job to hold down the score – that’s your job.

Comment

I saw some of the game because my DD was playing next to this game. PAC NW pulled a player off in the second half. And there coach seemed to be pulling back on the reigns a bit.

Comment

Hard to say, were they really running up the score or did they implement restrictions and still score. Often in this situation when you put in a bunch of subs that don't play too much they get out there with some fire and end up scoring goals anyway.

SU is an absolute failure of a club on the girls side btw, with all the money and talent in the major world city of Seattle they should be a dominant national club and they can't even be relevant locally. Utterly incompetent.
                I live in Seattle with a soccer crazy 10 year old daughter. She currently plays for Seattle United but I probably will send her to PAC or XF in the next year or two to have a more competitive experience.

Comment

I live in Seattle with a soccer crazy 10 year old daughter. She currently plays for Seattle United but I probably will send her to PAC or XF in the next year or two to have a more competitive experience.
                  Sounds like a crazy parent. Good luck with the drive from Seattle to Starfire in Renton and the drive back. Or the drive to Marymoor.

Comment

depends what part of Seattle they're in. if north Seattle sure those drives are rough. but if it's West Seattle the Renton drive is probably shorter than their current commute.

Sounds like a crazy parent. Good luck with the drive from Seattle to Starfire in Renton and the drive back. Or the drive to Marymoor.

Comment

Not everyone lives in Green Lake or Capitol Hill and finds SU trainings convenient

My kids played SU and one of the hardest things was that practices were all over the city, changing locations/times every day because they don't have a home field. If you don't live near one of their frequent sites in Shoreline or Magnuson etc you're doing a lot of driving. Our training commutes with SU were usually 90 min round trip with traffic. The occasional SU training at Genesee or Jefferson stresses out families that live North.

My kids moved on to other clubs and although driving to Starfire and Marymoor is a little long, it's easier to set up a routine when you know for sure where you'll be training so for us, moving meant less stress overall,

Comment

Not everyone lives in Green Lake or Capitol Hill and finds SU trainings convenient

My kids played SU and one of the hardest things was that practices were all over the city, changing locations/times every day because they don't have a home field. If you don't live near one of their frequent sites in Shoreline or Magnuson etc you're doing a lot of driving. Our training commutes with SU were usually 90 min round trip with traffic. The occasional SU training at Genesee or Jefferson stresses out families that live North.

My kids moved on to other clubs and although driving to Starfire and Marymoor is a little long, it's easier to set up a routine when you know for sure where you'll be training so for us, moving meant less stress overall,
                        When a kid gets cut one normally leaves a club.

Comment

Interesting comment about SU. The SU 10 year old girls team, the 2009s are one of SU's most competitive girls teams. I am not sure why you would want to leave that team to be on a team at PAC or Crossfire that gets consistently beat by the B team at SU. But, everyone has their own reasons I guess.

Comment

When a kid gets cut one normally leaves a club.
                            You seem nice.

Comment

I heard from a friend that a PAC team beat a Seattle Utd ECNL team 9-1 team today. Is this bad sportsmanship to run up the scor like this?
                              Maybe if it's rec soccer, but ECNL, not at all.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X