Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    No athletic money from Ivy or NESCAC D3 or Claremonts, Chicago, JHU, and others.
    Academic P5 D1 Duke, Notre Dame, Northwestern, Stanford with some bread in the jar.

Well to be fair to the other poster, being a D1 athlete soccer can be considered a top athlete which represents about 2.2% of 400k hs age soccer players or about 9000. Your kid is the 1% of this.
    Of the P5 schools you mentioned, many of those kids were identified early with ynt camp call-ups, tracked by several schools early on, and are considered top elite players, especially at Stanford. Average high academic soccer players aren’t being recruited by those schools mid junior year through senior year.

Comment

What happens to the girls that peaked and committed early to P5 schools and are now not even as good as uncommitted players on their team? The schools honored the verbals and they are signing NLIs but they may not play a minute all 4 years. Meanwhile, she ties up a roster spot and scholarship money. I bet some colleges grab some late bloomers for little money to help make up for it. Still not much money left but at least a roster spot.
      Peak jealousy.

Comment

Is Arkansas Pine Bluff really better soccer because they are D1 than somewhere like Pomona or MIT? Many D3s blow many D1s out of the water academically and some are better at soccer too. A lot of soccer girls want a top academic school too.
        Most high academic players capable of playing D1 start off targeting the high academic D1 schools like Stanford or the Ivies. When those doors don't open they move on to other schools like USC, UCLA, Cal, UW, etc. These players then move on to schools like Santa Clara, Pepperdine, USD, Seattle U, Gonzaga, LMU. If they get no traction from there then the search moves from highly ranked D1s to high academic D3s like CM, MIT, Pomona, Amherst, Williams, etc. Generally speaking, there is no in between for the high academic players. If a player chooses to go to Arkansas Pine Bluff it's not because they were seeking an academic experience. Nothing wrong with choosing a school for soccer but the path for players seeking academic experiences is very different than someone looking at schools like University of Idaho or Cal State Fresno. Frankly, I'm surprised more people do not look into high academic D3s. Some schools like Pomona offer excellent financial aid packages where the out of pocket cost for middle class parents is going to be cheaper despite not offering athletic scholarships than many of the schools I listed above with merit and athletic aid combined.

Comment

My daughter contacted all the big schools. Got looked at by a few, got offers from a couple. She ended up, out of the blue, going with a great D3 with a great soccer program. She's got very, very good grades. As such, they ended up being able to provide a much better offer (due to grades) to her. It's icing on the cake that they've got a very high level soccer program. She's pretty stoked with how things turned out. Her mom and I are stoked that she's stoked. Point is, keep those grades up, kiddos. They're more valuable to you than you think!

Comment

My daughter contacted all the big schools. Got looked at by a few, got offers from a couple. She ended up, out of the blue, going with a great D3 with a great soccer program. She's got very, very good grades. As such, they ended up being able to provide a much better offer (due to grades) to her. It's icing on the cake that they've got a very high level soccer program. She's pretty stoked with how things turned out. Her mom and I are stoked that she's stoked. Point is, keep those grades up, kiddos. They're more valuable to you than you think!
            What school? Most high academic D3 schools don’t give merit aid because the students going there are all high Stats kids and admission rates are low.

Comment

https://tgs.totalglobalsports.com/pu....aspx?eid=1468
              - Texas 2020

Nothing like before GDA split up the schools attending.

https://ecnl.totalglobalsports.com/p...g.aspx?eid=328
              -Texas 2017
              I hate to break it to you but the Florida ECNL event this year was so well attended by all the top schools that it beats the 2017 Texas ECNL list that you attached. Top programs aren't registering ahead of time. Stanford, USC, UNC, Virginia, UCLA, Texas, CAL, FSU etc were all there but not on the list.

Comment

A ton of players get money beyond the 1% at D1 schools. The whole "soccer is an admissions edge" angle doesn't apply to D1 unless you're talking Ivys, and most of those slots for 2021 are spoken for. My 2021 has one of those spots and was being recruited by other Ivys. But if you are trying to get an academic tip at a prestigious academic D3 school, then yes, soccer can be an admissions edge. We were also talking to top liberal arts colleges including 1 prominent West Coast D3 and a handful on the East Coast. Many of those spots are spoken for pending test scores. It's not too late for high academic D3s but you better get moving if this is the direction you plan on taking. Not sure what the recruiting landscape looks like in this state but I agree with the other poster. If you're being recruited spring of your junior year and later, you'll have less choices to choose from your college list. At that point you're just hoping a school wants to recruit you. Best of luck.

-Not from WA
                LOL - Not from WA. So transparent.

Comment

I hate to break it to you but the Florida ECNL event this year was so well attended by all the top schools that it beats the 2017 Texas ECNL list that you attached. Top programs aren't registering ahead of time. Stanford, USC, UNC, Virginia, UCLA, Texas, CAL, FSU etc were all there but not on the list.
                  Very few Washington kids get recruited by the schools mentioned above. This year's college graduating class consisted of:

-Abi Kim from Pac played for Cal and was drafted to the NWSL this year
                  -Sam Hiatt played from XF played for Stanford and was also recruited into the NWSL -Jalen Woodward from XF played for USC and graduated this year
                  -Madison Shultz from XF played for UNC was in the NWSL draft this year but did not get drafted

I don't recall any recent players out of Washington from the HS class of 2017, 2018, 2019, or upcoming recruit for 2020 being recruited as an impact player to any of those schools.

The point is it doesn't matter if the best programs in the country are recruiting at ECNL or DA Showcases if you're not the prospect they are looking for or have been tracking.

Comment

I think it's very hard for even very elite Seattle players to be frequently seen by schools outside PNW. Yes, you can be seen at a showcase but a lot of coaches want to see a player multiple times, possibly work with them at an ID camp etc The distance is hard. If you're a really strong DA player but not a starter and not playing every game at every showcase, you might be a better player than a starter somewhere else but if coaches don't see you, it doesn't matter. Some top Reign & Xfire 2020 players with natl team camps/starts have committed to Harvard, Princeton, Notre Dame, Clemson, Santa Clara. Sounders are sending kids to Duke, Penn, Maryland, SDSU and others...not a lot of UCLA, USC, Cal recruits coming from PNW because there are plenty of great players in Cali that coaches can watch every weekend...

Comment

I think it's very hard for even very elite Seattle players to be frequently seen by schools outside PNW. Yes, you can be seen at a showcase but a lot of coaches want to see a player multiple times, possibly work with them at an ID camp etc The distance is hard. If you're a really strong DA player but not a starter and not playing every game at every showcase, you might be a better player than a starter somewhere else but if coaches don't see you, it doesn't matter. Some top Reign & Xfire 2020 players with natl team camps/starts have committed to Harvard, Princeton, Notre Dame, Clemson, Santa Clara. Sounders are sending kids to Duke, Penn, Maryland, SDSU and others...not a lot of UCLA, USC, Cal recruits coming from PNW because there are plenty of great players in Cali that coaches can watch every weekend...
                      These girls and boys are special. Top students and top athletes AND still they could be bench warmers. So, pick the school first, then soccer. Soccer can end at anytime, but at least you will be at the school you wish to be at. Good luck in Texas!

Comment

These girls and boys are special. Top students and top athletes AND still they could be bench warmers. So, pick the school first, then soccer. Soccer can end at anytime, but at least you will be at the school you wish to be at. Good luck in Texas!
                        The above schools are all great schools. So smart to pick school over soccer. I feel for the ones pushed by their parents to pick a lower academic D1 state school somewhere for soccer so they can brag at the water cooler even when their dd doesn’t play. Always go for best school fit first and foremost. Congratulations to all the girls wherever they go and good luck in Texas!

Comment

The above schools are all great schools. So smart to pick school over soccer. I feel for the ones pushed by their parents to pick a lower academic D1 state school somewhere for soccer so they can brag at the water cooler even when their dd doesn’t play. Always go for best school fit first and foremost. Congratulations to all the girls wherever they go and good luck in Texas!
                          I feel bad for the ones who couldn't get recruited with their grad year and feel pushed by the parents to forgo going to school (school over academics, right?) and being held back a year for soccer with no school so they can brag at the water cooler that their son went to play D1 and after all that doesn't play. Always go for school over athletics.

Comment

Everyone says to put academics first but few in the soccer world do, mostly pushed by parents. Wonder how many end up regretting putting soccer before school...

Comment

I think it's easy to forget that an athletic scholarship is a consideration for some families. You can't start your kid in soccer assuming they will play college one, but if your teen has the ability and loves playing, getting the most athletic money possible can be a consideration. Going to a "prestige" school is something else parents love to brag about. Help your kid find the best overall fit for academics, price, athletics etc For the most athletic and merit money, target schools where your kid's numbers are above the average admitted student's. The name of the school is less important than what the kid accomplishes there.

Comment

https://tgs.totalglobalsports.com/pu....aspx?eid=1468
                                - Texas 2020

Nothing like before GDA split up the schools attending.

https://ecnl.totalglobalsports.com/p...g.aspx?eid=328
                                -Texas 2017
                                There were tons of D1 coaches in Houston. More than there were in 2017. Sorry to burst your bubble. We had over 130 coaches come to our (U16) games, 103 of them were D1.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X