X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I like what they're trying to do.

But when your Executive/Technical Director is writing articles describing themselves (repeatedly) as a "lonely visionaries" (and the like), it is a bit off-putting. To say the least.

Maybe he's right. Maybe not. I'm not judging. I don't know enough about them to judge.

The point is that shouting from the rooftops about what a visionary you are doesn't make it so. And that kind of "holier-than-thou" attitude isn't going to convince me.

I'm much more curious about what they're actually doing, and whether their philosophy/ideals (which are facially appealing) are complemented by a competitive environment for training and games -- at the end of the day, with and against players who challenge you is a critical component in a young player's development.
    He’s got a point though. In every industry there are people who go against the grain, call them visionaries or whatever. It does seem like his audience in that article is other soccer coaches rather than parents, but I don’t know. It seems he is on the same wavelength as Todd Beane and probably talking about and teaching very similar things. https://tovoinstitute.com/playing-in-the-future/

What we haven’t heard yet on this thread is anything from parents who actually have a kid in the Eagleclaw program. I think that is the original question that started this whole thread.

Comment

He’s got a point though. In every industry there are people who go against the grain, call them visionaries or whatever. It does seem like his audience in that article is other soccer coaches rather than parents, but I don’t know. It seems he is on the same wavelength as Todd Beane and probably talking about and teaching very similar things. https://tovoinstitute.com/playing-in-the-future/

What we haven’t heard yet on this thread is anything from parents who actually have a kid in the Eagleclaw program. I think that is the original question that started this whole thread.
      I completely agree -- going against the grain, thinking outside the box, whatever you want to call it...there's a lot to be said for what they're trying to do.

Like the person who asked the question that started this thread -- I'm also interested in hearing what the actual experience is like, and how competitive the program is (training and matches).

Of course, "winning" isn't everything. The reality is that, as another poster commented above, having a competitive environment is a critical part of player development -- and it looks Eagleclaw's teams mainly play mid-tier PSPL right now.

Comment

I completely agree -- going against the grain, thinking outside the box, whatever you want to call it...there's a lot to be said for what they're trying to do.

Like the person who asked the question that started this thread -- I'm also interested in hearing what the actual experience is like, and how competitive the program is (training and matches).

Of course, "winning" isn't everything. The reality is that, as another poster commented above, having a competitive environment is a critical part of player development -- and it looks Eagleclaw's teams mainly play mid-tier PSPL right now.
        Their Executive Director has a background that also seems different from Executive Directors at other clubs. https://www.eagleclawfc.org/director...er-development

Many hats. The player agent part is interesting. Wondering if that plays a role in their player pathway??!

Comment

My sons been with Eagleclaw for three years. My older child has been in just about every level, starting in Select then to PSPL's top league, RCL A teams, ECNL and now DA as well as through the PSPL academy teams and EPD. So we have a very wide breadth of experiences.

We started out on a Seattle United development teams and also did a year in another PSPL team at U8. He really wasn't happy with those teams so we pulled out from club soccer and just did training for two years. Coerver, Futsal, etc and then entered Eagle Claw at U10

Eagleclaw is different in that all the younger players practice three days a week as a large group..sort of similar to Coerver. One practice is tactical, another is technical, and the third is team play. They are not separated by team (at least this was our experience until we switched to 11v11 this year), so you have pool training. It's somewhat similar to EPD or PSPL academy but it's three days a week all season. Teams are selected by bringing up the players that are ready to compete into a "team" and they play in PSPL. The team is pretty open in that we have a lot of players playing up, and even girls on the boys teams. On the U13 team, we are now separated into the PSPL team and Valencia Academy. There are still cross trainings, and opportunities to have camps and other training. All in all it's a much better experience than we had in RCL with my older child, as well as the U8 training at Seattle United.

The younger teams were very successful in PSPL, and played very good possession style soccer. Quite impressive at that level actually, and a lot of parents/players from teams we played inquired about moving over. Keep in mind this is PSPL though. There are many High level players in Eagleclaw and PSPL that could do ECNL or RCL A, but the full teams are in no way comparable to say, Seattle United A or any boys ECNL team. However..the focus is not on winning. It's on playing. If you expect to win every game and tournament this may not be the club to go into. Small highly technical players will always struggle against larger players playing direct style soccer, at least until the older ages. For play level, we started at tier 3 PSPL premiere. We've had to win state cup and/or our league to move up. So our first yer we won state cup and second in the league to move up to tier 2. Last year we won the league to move up to tier one. For whatever reason the team was not started in the top league so they had to earn their way up. You will see the DOC preach out the club, because frankly there is no other way to get players to come and take a look. Eagleclaw trains at Starfire, and sits right in the middle of the territory or Seattle United, Crossfire and PacNW. Those larger clubs will always be a draw for the regions top players as well as Eagleclaw players who develop through the program and are heavily recruited by those other coaches. For that reason you will see a lot of "B team" and bench players come to the club. But that is really how you improve, by getting touches on the ball. I'm not sure how a bench player at Seattle United is supposed to get better if they never play a game, Going by our experience with my older player...todays young bench player is a starter at U-15...and then a D1 recruit if they stick with it.

The Valencia program is a new thing. The players at Eagleclaw have the option to travel to Valencia for a week every spring and play in tournaments there. The best players form the Valencia teams. We will have to wait and see how that pans out. We personally have not travelled to Valencia yet as I want to wait till my son is a bit older.

I'd say that if you are on a RCL 2, RCL 3, or a PSPL team, then take a look at Eagle Claw. If your on ECNL or an good RCL A team you are already in a good place. For anyone worried about play level, I'd say it really doesn't matter for U9-U14. The main thing to consider is if the players are developing and being challenged. I know that my kids feel that way. Playing in select and PSPL has not affected my older child's ability to now play in ECNL.

hope this helps.

Comment

How are players selected for these Valencia teams? Is there a tryout? Also, can players from other clubs train and play with Eagleclaw and with their other club at the same time?

Comment

Eagleclaw is different in that all the younger players practice three days a week as a large group..sort of similar to Coerver. One practice is tactical, another is technical, and the third is team play. They are not separated by team (at least this was our experience until we switched to 11v11 this year), so you have pool training. It's somewhat similar to EPD or PSPL academy but it's three days a week all season. Teams are selected by bringing up the players that are ready to compete into a "team" and they play in PSPL. The team is pretty open in that we have a lot of players playing up, and even girls on the boys teams. On the U13 team, we are now separated into the PSPL team and Valencia Academy. There are still cross trainings, and opportunities to have camps and other training. All in all it's a much better experience than we had in RCL with my older child, as well as the U8 training at Seattle United.

The younger teams were very successful in PSPL, and played very good possession style soccer. Quite impressive at that level actually, and a lot of parents/players from teams we played inquired about moving over. Keep in mind this is PSPL though. There are many High level players in Eagleclaw and PSPL that could do ECNL or RCL A, but the full teams are in no way comparable to say, Seattle United A or any boys ECNL team. However..the focus is not on winning. It's on playing. If you expect to win every game and tournament this may not be the club to go into. Small highly technical players will always struggle against larger players playing direct style soccer, at least until the older ages. For play level, we started at tier 3 PSPL premiere. We've had to win state cup and/or our league to move up. So our first yer we won state cup and second in the league to move up to tier 2. Last year we won the league to move up to tier one. For whatever reason the team was not started in the top league so they had to earn their way up. You will see the DOC preach out the club, because frankly there is no other way to get players to come and take a look. Eagleclaw trains at Starfire, and sits right in the middle of the territory or Seattle United, Crossfire and PacNW. Those larger clubs will always be a draw for the regions top players as well as Eagleclaw players who develop through the program and are heavily recruited by those other coaches. For that reason you will see a lot of "B team" and bench players come to the club. But that is really how you improve, by getting touches on the ball. I'm not sure how a bench player at Seattle United is supposed to get better if they never play a game, Going by our experience with my older player...todays young bench player is a starter at U-15...and then a D1 recruit if they stick with it.
              Southlake used to play two friendly games with Eagleclaw U13. I like you guys. Team different then others. Hope we will see you at premier level next year.

Comment

It seems Eagleclaw is different from the typical club because it truly addresses development of the individual players. Besides focusing and staying consistent on a single coaching philosophy, Spanish style, it is a somewhat smaller club and has a high coach to player ratio. The emphasis on Rondos creates strong possession ball and is implemented with positional play, and therefore even with the youngest players, they learn to read the game, make decisions while being creative, and therefore develop confidence. I've noticed the atmosphere is very friendly and positive with the director and staff knowing each player individually. The coaches fit the program well and the director is always working on increasing their knowledge as the club continues to grow and expand its direction, such as its affiliating with Valencia CF. There are also several pathways for players to participate and develop. In reference to which league they play in, it seems because they are private club with no geographic affiliated limitation and no need for board of directions, they play in PSPL under US Club soccer. Even though their emphasis is on development and not just winning, they have proven to be really competitive.
                Developing individual players... who? Does any parent on this board have a child who has played professionally or at a top school and developed at Eagleclaw? Do you know any? They use to pay Ajax to use their name, then coerver, now Valencia. Who are the coaches? https://www.eagleclawfc.org/teams What credentials would you use to determine whether Joe Campos would be good at developing your DS/DD? He’s an attorney http://ashbaughbeal.com/bio/joe-campos , not some soccer savant.

If the RCL isn’t for you, maybe eagleclaw is. But be careful, and do some research. Not saying Eagleclaw is a bad club, just saying that talk is cheap.

Comment

My sons been with Eagleclaw for three years. My older child has been in just about every level, starting in Select then to PSPL's top league, RCL A teams, ECNL and now DA as well as through the PSPL academy teams and EPD. So we have a very wide breadth of experiences.

We started out on a Seattle United development teams and also did a year in another PSPL team at U8. He really wasn't happy with those teams so we pulled out from club soccer and just did training for two years. Coerver, Futsal, etc and then entered Eagle Claw at U10

The Valencia program is a new thing. The players at Eagleclaw have the option to travel to Valencia for a week every spring and play in tournaments there. The best players form the Valencia teams. We will have to wait and see how that pans out. We personally have not travelled to Valencia yet as I want to wait till my son is a bit older.

I'd say that if you are on a RCL 2, RCL 3, or a PSPL team, then take a look at Eagle Claw. If your on ECNL or an good RCL A team you are already in a good place. For anyone worried about play level, I'd say it really doesn't matter for U9-U14. The main thing to consider is if the players are developing and being challenged. I know that my kids feel that way. Playing in select and PSPL has not affected my older child's ability to now play in ECNL.

hope this helps.
                  Good honest post. Thank you.

Comment

Developing individual players... who? Does any parent on this board have a child who has played professionally or at a top school and developed at Eagleclaw? Do you know any? They use to pay Ajax to use their name, then coerver, now Valencia. Who are the coaches? https://www.eagleclawfc.org/teams What credentials would you use to determine whether Joe Campos would be good at developing your DS/DD? He’s an attorney http://ashbaughbeal.com/bio/joe-campos , not some soccer savant.

If the RCL isn’t for you, maybe eagleclaw is. But be careful, and do some research. Not saying Eagleclaw is a bad club, just saying that talk is cheap.

Wowwww frightened of losing market share ?

Comment

Let's be clear for a second. All Washington clubs are bad clubs. Name one that doesn't have a pissed off parent or kid or coach or etc..... Internet posting talk is also cheap....

Comment

3Four3 podcast interview with Joe Campos here: https://343coaching.com/podcast/socc...wn-local-club/

Comment

Let's be clear for a second. All Washington clubs are bad clubs. Name one that doesn't have a pissed off parent or kid or coach or etc..... Internet posting talk is also cheap....
                          I’ve posed questions and facts, what have you added to the conversation?

Comment

How are players selected for these Valencia teams? Is there a tryout? Also, can players from other clubs train and play with Eagleclaw and with their other club at the same time?
                            Forgot to mention. There are no tryouts for the main Eagleclaw teams. You join the club and start training to be on one of the more competitive teams. In the meantime you train, and do scrimmages.

When we started, we only did one tournament in the summer. Then fall season, followed by futsal in winter until winter/spring season starts. They also have a bus you can pay for that picks up al the players from several stops in Seattle. Pretty convenient.

The Valencia teams are created and scouted by the Valencia coaches. So I'd say to get on those teams you's need to be going to Valencia Spain in the spring so that they know you, or do well at the Valencia Summer camps. I assume that if a Crossfire A player joined up they'd get on easily...but that is not who is coming to Eagleclaw currently.

As far as developing pro players?? These kids in the newest iteration of the program are U12 and U13. Who knows, but pro teams are not the focus. I'd be happy for my son to play Varsity in the highly competitive Metro League. Also, to say who is developing whom is a hard task. My oldest has teammates on the US youth National team. But those players can count at least 3-4 clubs on their pathway up. I think it's more likely that good players are good players. What's lacking is perhaps the pathway for those players to improve, and the opportunities they get to achieve that or be showcased. What Eagleclaw does is try to provide some tools and pathways for any player, not just the known favorites. They allow every player to see if that is their pathway.

There is no guarantee you will be the next player signed to Valencia, or even if you play college or Highschool. I've seen good players quit, I've seen great players leave for pre-ECNL or RCL A. But I've also seen a lot of players that were denied the chance at top ticket of other clubs come in. No player at Eagleclaw is being turned away and the standard reasons/roadblocks thrown down at young players don't apply.

You will never hear Eagleclaw say:
                            You're too small (seems like the Number 1 assessment to pick young players in Washington)
                            You're too technical we play direct
                            You're too timid on the ball
                            You're not a starter
                            You're not going to get playing time
                            You're not strong enough

Curious? Join up for a few sessions. You will get to practice with good players, and if you put the time in and apply yourself you will make a competitive team. If you continue to work and apply yourself you may make a better team. If you continue with additional training like Coerver, Toca, etc you may make a great team (which may not be at Eagleclaw).

If you become a better player while with the club, then they have achieved their mission.

Comment

Wowwww frightened of losing market share ?
                              If a club is doing something right, it’s quality of play and ability to develop players will stand on its own. The facts are, eagleclaw has not accomplished it’s stated goal of developing “top soccer players as countries in Europe and South America” https://www.eagleclawfc.org/

This region, through WYS, has developed as many professional soccer players per capita than almost every region in the US. World class players, not just MLS. WYS isn’t perfect, when it comes to youth players and their parents- nothing possibly could be perfect.

As it is today, Eagleclaw does a great job providing another pathway for kids to play soccer. But until Eagleclaw actually develops a kid who then goes on to play at Valencia, it is just another option among many in this region. I wish Joe and his kids the best of luck in that endeavor. I believe it could happen someday- but the fact is, it hasn’t.

Take the Valencia Discovery team to Surf Cup and win an age group.

This likely has less to do with the coaching and more to do with the physical talent. Development can be achieved in a number of ways, but I would argue in the current environment in the US, the top way to develop players is in training. Training against the best and playing the best talent available is important to individual development. That just isn’t happening in PSPL or Eagleclaw. Regardless of what you think of Eagleclaw, Gunners, or Celtic- all good clubs, but the PSPL doesn’t have the quality of play top to bottom that the RCL does- regardless of ECNL or age group.

I think it’s great for kids to have options of where to play. But let’s not kid ourselves, today WYS provides the best opportunity for the most kids to develop into professional or collegiate soccer players. That shouldn’t be, nor is it, the goal for the majority of families involved in youth soccer.

For those that have children playing in the PSPL, I apologize, I do not mean to disparage you. But it gets old listening to the bs banter of immature soccer parents because ds/dd didn’t make the ecnl team or the a team. Honestly, they have a reason to be pissed. A ton of good soccer players who are late developers get passed on at the big RCL clubs. It absolutely does happen, and it’s too bad.

Comment

Forgot to mention. There are no tryouts for the main Eagleclaw teams. You join the club and start training to be on one of the more competitive teams. In the meantime you train, and do scrimmages.

When we started, we only did one tournament in the summer. Then fall season, followed by futsal in winter until winter/spring season starts. They also have a bus you can pay for that picks up al the players from several stops in Seattle. Pretty convenient.

The Valencia teams are created and scouted by the Valencia coaches. So I'd say to get on those teams you's need to be going to Valencia Spain in the spring so that they know you, or do well at the Valencia Summer camps. I assume that if a Crossfire A player joined up they'd get on easily...but that is not who is coming to Eagleclaw currently.

As far as developing pro players?? These kids in the newest iteration of the program are U12 and U13. Who knows, but pro teams are not the focus. I'd be happy for my son to play Varsity in the highly competitive Metro League. Also, to say who is developing whom is a hard task. My oldest has teammates on the US youth National team. But those players can count at least 3-4 clubs on their pathway up. I think it's more likely that good players are good players. What's lacking is perhaps the pathway for those players to improve, and the opportunities they get to achieve that or be showcased. What Eagleclaw does is try to provide some tools and pathways for any player, not just the known favorites. They allow every player to see if that is their pathway.

There is no guarantee you will be the next player signed to Valencia, or even if you play college or Highschool. I've seen good players quit, I've seen great players leave for pre-ECNL or RCL A. But I've also seen a lot of players that were denied the chance at top ticket of other clubs come in. No player at Eagleclaw is being turned away and the standard reasons/roadblocks thrown down at young players don't apply.

You will never hear Eagleclaw say:
                                You're too small (seems like the Number 1 assessment to pick young players in Washington)
                                You're too technical we play direct
                                You're too timid on the ball
                                You're not a starter
                                You're not going to get playing time
                                You're not strong enough

Curious? Join up for a few sessions. You will get to practice with good players, and if you put the time in and apply yourself you will make a competitive team. If you continue to work and apply yourself you may make a better team. If you continue with additional training like Coerver, Toca, etc you may make a great team (which may not be at Eagleclaw).

If you become a better player while with the club, then they have achieved their mission.
                                Excellent post, thank you. I am also the individual that would appear to be questioning the value of Eagleclaw, so I appreciate your insight.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X