Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Here be go again.....UConn is so much better.

Look, the middle 50 Percent of the class of 2023 at my d’s school had 1410-1510 SAT. By definition, 25 percent were above and below that range. That is a typical nescac profile. That’s a lot of smart kids. UConn average sat was 1296. Not bad, but not close. My kid is collaborating and learning with kids as smart or smarter than her. Doesn't lock her dorm door at night. That is worth it to me. Maybe not to you. She loves the school and has a 3.5 gpa. Loves her teammates and enjoying the d3 nescac athletic experience. I see where her teammates that graduate each year end up going to work or grad school. They are doing just fine.
    She should probably consider locking her door at night regardless.

Comment

She should probably consider locking her door at night regardless.
      I was thinking the same thing.

Comment

Feel better now? Great for your kid. There literally is a school for everyone out there. Hopefully every student can find their perfect fit for academics, athletics, social aspects and finances. But it doesn't change the fact thst many larger schools are stronger for STEM programs - top professors and research. If my kid wants engineering I'd prefer they go to U Rochester over Wesleyan. If affordability is an issue, especially of grad school is in the cards, then UCONN goes to the top. I went to a smaller LAC, I get the appeal but they're pricing themselves out of the market
        My dd’s top choices would be an elite NESCAC or IVY but we are in that spot of won’t qualify for any aid but certainly can’t afford 75k plus out of pocket per year. Compromises must be made for affordability for us.

Comment

My dd’s top choices would be an elite NESCAC or IVY but we are in that spot of won’t qualify for any aid but certainly can’t afford 75k plus out of pocket per year. Compromises must be made for affordability for us.
          Understood. My point was, I think it is a good investment as measured by the roi and my kids happiness. That said, I understand that Nescac isn’t for everyone and I don’t judge anyone for their decision. Tired of Others that are on this site trashing the soccer and the education. That said, I have two comments
          1. To the other guy that said for stem, he would rather his kid go to u of r. I will point out u of r is 75k a year. It is priced similar to Nescac schools. So if the cost is what people were criticizing the Nescac over, then your argument doesn’t make sense as an option.
          2. Congrats on being rich as defined by the federal govt and colleges and universities. If you don’t qualify for aid, that’s what you are. I too have the same issue. However, I saved aggressively in a 529 plan receiving tax benefits in ct every year. The last 11 year bull market run left the account flush with earnings to pay the cost of a Nescac education. I would advise all of the rich people on this site to open a plan and contribute early in your child’s life. You would be amazed how the power of compounding and the tax benefits add up.

Comment

The definition of "rich" is part of the problem when it comes to the cost of college. It's even worse in for people in high cost areas.like lowerCT and other areas. Many families live relatively modestly and can afford a few kid activities and a decent vacation now and then. But they can't afford 60K a year for one kid let alone multiple. Paying outright for two kids means $500K. Pretty tough to save their way out of that. One advantage of most Ivies is their income capacity are more generous than the federal limit. Many kids are getting shut out of UCONN because more applicants are struggling for a more affordable option.

Comment

Understood. My point was, I think it is a good investment as measured by the roi and my kids happiness. That said, I understand that Nescac isn’t for everyone and I don’t judge anyone for their decision. Tired of Others that are on this site trashing the soccer and the education. That said, I have two comments
              1. To the other guy that said for stem, he would rather his kid go to u of r. I will point out u of r is 75k a year. It is priced similar to Nescac schools. So if the cost is what people were criticizing the Nescac over, then your argument doesn’t make sense as an option.
              2. Congrats on being rich as defined by the federal govt and colleges and universities. If you don’t qualify for aid, that’s what you are. I too have the same issue. However, I saved aggressively in a 529 plan receiving tax benefits in ct every year. The last 11 year bull market run left the account flush with earnings to pay the cost of a Nescac education. I would advise all of the rich people on this site to open a plan and contribute early in your child’s life. You would be amazed how the power of compounding and the tax benefits add up.
              Congratulations. I am a big fan of NESCACs. We only recently started making too high a salary for financial aid. Same reason we have only recently been able to put some money in 529s. However, debt and not much in the way of assets means not much left over every month after payday. Not complaining. Just explaining why NESCACs are out for us where if we had the means, several of them would be at the top of the list. Agree with you that they are an incredible choice!

Comment

Regarding your comment #1... Just to be clear, you’re correct in the total price, however the same student could get a ton of merit money from Rochester and not a dime from Amherst, Middlebury, etc.

Comment

The other statement was in regard to quality of STEM programs at large institutions like UR vs a small LAC school. The there is the other issue another poster brought up about FA ad it's lack of availability at some LAC's but not others. UR is defined as a "national university"(#29) and Amherst is defined as a LAC (#2). UR is 6500 undergrad, Amherst 1800. Different types of locations too. There's a school for everyone the saying goes.

National Universities offer a full range of undergraduate majors, plus master's and doctoral programs, and emphasize faculty research or award professional practice doctorates.
                  National Liberal Arts Colleges focus almost exclusively on undergraduate education and award at least 50% of their degrees in the arts and sciences

Comment

Chet is better you bloated cow

Comment

Chet is better you bloated cow
                      Hey douche......Chet is the ct 529 plan. It’s good advice regardless of what school your kid chooses. You obviously aren’t too smart

Comment

Anyone here knowledgeable enough to rank the women's coaches in NESCAC?

Comment

Yes

Your momma
                          Your g-momma
                          Your g-momma's daughter, which is your momma
                          Your aunts sister, which is your momma
                          Your great aunt,'s niece, which is your momma
                          Your Dads's wife, which is your Momma

All yhe other Momma don't matter

Comment

why would you rank coaches? Your kid's first priority should be wether or not a school is a good academic and social fit, followed by soccer fit. Your player will either like the coach/staff or not. If you're ranking team performance that's different but there's other factors that come unto play there beyond just who the coach is

Comment

why would you rank coaches? Your kid's first priority should be wether or not a school is a good academic and social fit, followed by soccer fit. Your player will either like the coach/staff or not. If you're ranking team performance that's different but there's other factors that come unto play there beyond just who the coach is
                              exactly, like is the team senior heavy and losing 9 of 11 starters...if so, dont expect them to be as good next year

Comment

Yes

Your momma
                                Your g-momma
                                Your g-momma's daughter, which is your momma
                                Your aunts sister, which is your momma
                                Your great aunt,'s niece, which is your momma
                                Your Dads's wife, which is your Momma

All yhe other Momma don't matter
                                your dads sister which is yo momma

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X