Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice choose club or coach?

I'm seeking input from parents who have been in the system for many years.

I believe that one or more of the best coaches for my DD will not be returning next year for the U12 season. The most likely replacement is very mediocre, will know for sure in a few weeks.

I don't want to jump from club to club. We've been at the current club going on 3 years.

I'm really at a crossroads. if we did change clubs, who is to say there won't be a reshuffling of coaches next season.

My DDs dream is to play college soccer, I know that's another subject, but wanted to point out that she is very serious, dedicated and isn't playing for the social aspect.

I have read on the boards here that coach X left club X and 6 players went with him. I suppose if a coach changes clubs, I would expect he/she will be at the new club for at least four years. Considering asking to join a few practice sessions at other teams, as I've learned "tryouts" aren't really tryouts and you have to choose one club to tryout due to the same day tryouts issue.

Any 20/20 hindsight perspectives? Really at a crossroads. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

If you are with a RCL team, you will need to get your current Club's permission to practice a few times with the other club, unless you do so during the "Free" week.

But, I think this is always a hard call. Great coaches can make or break an enjoyment of the sport and the discipline required to grind it out every day. Bad coaches, or those that don't communicate well or have a temper, etc. can sour a player. If you DD is super great, I suspect she could go mid season to the other team, even if the roster is full. Coaches always seem to make room if needed.

But, why not just have a candid conversation with your coach?

Comment

If your daughter is serious about soccer and playing in college, you should consider the pathway a particular club offers. You probably want a club with ECNL options.

Coaching seems to have a lot of turnover but in Seattle there isn't a lot of new blood coming in so it tends to be the same folks just moving around. Consider how stable the coaching at the club seems to be overall. There's more turnover at some clubs than other. Do they have a rep for supporting their girl's program? All stuff to consider.

I don't think moving clubs is a generally seen as a big deal by college coaches. Like it doesn't reflect poorly on your kid or anything. It happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        If your daughter is serious about soccer and playing in college, you should consider the pathway a particular club offers. You probably want a club with ECNL options.

Coaching seems to have a lot of turnover but in Seattle there isn't a lot of new blood coming in so it tends to be the same folks just moving around. Consider how stable the coaching at the club seems to be overall. There's more turnover at some clubs than other. Do they have a rep for supporting their girl's program? All stuff to consider.

I don't think moving clubs is a generally seen as a big deal by college coaches. Like it doesn't reflect poorly on your kid or anything. It happens.
        Agree with the statement that if you want to play college soccer you should be playing for a club with an ECNL program. It's not absolutely critical, but it will certainly help. Most of the larger clubs in the Seattle area are members of the ECNL.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        Working...
        X