Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    So there is no reason a Higher # of kids are quitting. It’s the media gimmick got it, you’re probably the parent who screams at the ref all game and thinks the coaches are all idiots.
    Participation in youth soccer was already dropping well before Covid - down 15% in just three years. Too expensive, too much stupid travel and the calendar year change was a hit as well. While I'm an advocate for building the sport here in the US, I do think a market correction is a good thing. First, it will help get rid of some of the crap clubs and consolidate the leagues. Second, kids who's hearts weren't 100% in it may drop out because of limited funds for extras/prioritizing what gives them more joy in life. Finally, if soccer isn't seen as the gateway to college (either for admissions, scholarships or both) then families will reassess how far they're willing to go and spend. Scaling back to more frequent local competition and playing for the fun of it, not the college fantasy, would be a good thing.

Comment

Multiple pieces on declining participation in youth sports.

https://www.insidehook.com/article/s...rican-children

https://assets.aspeninstitute.org/co...975.1540216190

Participation is UP among more affluent families, down for everyone else (see Aspen report above) and

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...sports/574975/

Comment

BOTN post on why kids quit soccer

Try reading the article before you start name calling because you’re to ignorant to make a coherent point.

I’ll help you
        Take the amount of kids registering year after year and if the number declines more kids are leaving youth sports. If the number increases more kids are participating. Not a tough concept to understand.
        do you understand the concept of ratios? what about statistics? Common sense perhaps?

10 years ago the US population was about 308 million. US population 2020 is about 330 million. Is it NOT logical to assume more kids will join soccer or other youth sports due to an increase in population? Is it NOT then to assume more kids will quit at some point due to more kids in the system?
        Do you really need commander Spock at your side to smack some sense into you?

You do realize the journalists that write these articles are required to fabricate buzz/gossip for the purpose of selling and creating revenue?

Thank Goodness I by a house in central Long Island (elevation 100' above sea level) I will have ocean front property soon!!!! Damn you Greta, HOW DARE YOU!!!

Comment

Multiple pieces on declining participation in youth sports.

https://www.insidehook.com/article/s...rican-children

https://assets.aspeninstitute.org/co...975.1540216190

Participation is UP among more affluent families, down for everyone else (see Aspen report above) and

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...sports/574975/
          Just look at this website and you will see the biggest problem in youth sports. It's the type of people that are a cancer on all youth sports.

Comment

Just look at this website and you will see the biggest problem in youth sports. It's the type of people that are a cancer on all youth sports.
            well most affluent families are mostly democrats!!! so you are calling your own people cancerous! We been telling you this for almost 4 years!!!

Comment

well most affluent families are mostly democrats!!! so you are calling your own people cancerous! We been telling you this for almost 4 years!!!
              This ^^^ guy again - he's a cancer on Talking Soccer.

Comment

Nothing political, just facts. Everyone expects a handout from the coach or club they pay into. Moment it doesn't go their way, they come and cry on websites like this one. hiding away like little bitches

Comment

Nothing political, just facts. Everyone expects a handout from the coach or club they pay into. Moment it doesn't go their way, they come and cry on websites like this one. hiding away like little bitches
                  is it not the other way around? clubs/coaches expect a handout from parents so little johnny numbnuts or little rosie rottencrotch gets more playing time?

Comment

is it not the other way around? clubs/coaches expect a handout from parents so little johnny numbnuts or little rosie rottencrotch gets more playing time?
                    Parents think coaches are there so only serve them. They forget 15 other people on the team expect the same thing 😂

Comment

Why do kids quit/burn out playing soccer? The answer is obvious. Standing on the sidelines for many years observing everything it is because of parent behavior. There is definitely a direct link between parents living through their kids playing soccer and those kids who either burn out or quit. The moment kids get involved with the sport there are parents who also make it part of their own social life. Playing soccer should be the kids alone but there are parents who make decisions for these kids about clubs, teams, players based on what they want and not about the kid. Might work when they are young but when they become teenagers they then look at the situation and decide is it worth it. Do they want to continue so their parents have a life. People know exactly what I am saying.

Comment

Why do kids quit/burn out playing soccer? The answer is obvious. Standing on the sidelines for many years observing everything it is because of parent behavior. There is definitely a direct link between parents living through their kids playing soccer and those kids who either burn out or quit. The moment kids get involved with the sport there are parents who also make it part of their own social life. Playing soccer should be the kids alone but there are parents who make decisions for these kids about clubs, teams, players based on what they want and not about the kid. Might work when they are young but when they become teenagers they then look at the situation and decide is it worth it. Do they want to continue so their parents have a life. People know exactly what I am saying.
                        Hello mr. fake news reporter looking for a story to tell.

FYI, I grew up in the 80s and played PAL soccer. my parents (and My teammates parents) dropped us off at practice and games and picked us up when the activity was over. We all pretty much stopped playing after HS. More important things started taking priority like education, getting laid and making money.

Any rational teenager graduating HS will agree that priorities have not changed in 40 years!

Sorry, but your argument is full of BS!

Comment

You need to move into the 2000's. Don't you know our kids are not going to stop playing soccer after high school? They will all be playing in the EPL!!!!!

Comment

You need to move into the 2000's. Don't you know our kids are not going to stop playing soccer after high school? They will all be playing in the EPL!!!!!
                            And if you join Barca NY you play in La Liga!

Comment

I would argue that kids are playing soccer longer than usual because parents are more likely these days to tell their kids to stick with it than in the past. Many kids who are quitting as they enter high school now because of increased workload and interest in other things probably would have quit much earlier in their lives if their parents hadn't kept them in it.

Comment

I would argue that kids are playing soccer longer than usual because parents are more likely these days to tell their kids to stick with it than in the past. Many kids who are quitting as they enter high school now because of increased workload and interest in other things probably would have quit much earlier in their lives if their parents hadn't kept them in it.
                                I think there's some truth to that. Plus, when all their friends are also doing a million activities the expectation becomes you do too.

Our town fields 2-3 teams per age in the elementary school years, 1-2 middle school. By senior year there's 6-8 seniors left on average, and that will include all former town and club players, from starters to bench warmers. That's why when parents of the little ones get all excited about winning some token tournament or GotSoccer points I just just smile. In the end none of it matters. Kids find their own paths.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X