X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

70 to 75 % of players leave soccer by age 13 in the USA

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/the91...hoose-freedom/

If the stat was backed up by actual resource, direct me to it. I hate it when people just open their mouths and make remarks without it. Otherwise, whole heartedly agree about the siren coaching. Our sons had coaches like this and while they stuck it out until U18, they also did not have respect for coaches because they could think on their own (high academic and soccer IQ) but coaches would continue to chastise them off the field when they did not follow the screaming he was doing from the sideline. We often thought the teams would be successful if the coach would just shut up. Those coaches had few if any recruits going off to college, and that was both club and HS. On the flip side, our girls had a lot of success in club. Their coaches tended to stay quiet through most of game, though would instruct in some situations, and offer kudos when things were done right, and were generally positive when the girls left the field. experiences with HS were not as positive, but i think you have less control over who coaches them in that situation, and they either can rise above coaches remarks, or they chose to not play HS.

Comment

Great article, thanks for sharing. However it would be interesting to see if this attrition rate is similar in other sports. As compared to football, basketball and baseball, soccer has FAR FAR FAR less on field/court instruction. So if those other sports have more pressurized instruction yet have lower attrition rates, then what's the issue with soccer?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Great article, thanks for sharing. However it would be interesting to see if this attrition rate is similar in other sports. As compared to football, basketball and baseball, soccer has FAR FAR FAR less on field/court instruction. So if those other sports have more pressurized instruction yet have lower attrition rates, then what's the issue with soccer?
        My theory involves RUNNING. America does not have a running or fit culture. Soccer involves running a lot after U13.

Comment

My theory involves RUNNING. America does not have a running or fit culture. Soccer involves running a lot after U13.
          you got it one of my sons play soccer now in final year his younger brother by 4 yrs till u13 and decided to concentrate on football. I asked him why he said soccer is too much running

Comment

Football and basketball will draw the boys away in HS. My son stayed with basketball/football because everybody goes to those games to watch/cheer and only parents go to soccer games, he wants the spotlight. Look at attendance to college soccer games, dreadful. You play soccer at higher levels because you love the game, not for the peanut scholarships or excited fans.

Comment

Here is an interesting read on sports participation

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/9...-espn-magazine

Comment

Haha, take your soccer kids to a true high level football or basketball program and they will learn about running.

Comment

Haha, take your soccer kids to a true high level football or basketball program and they will learn about running.
                  I played Div 1 college football and semi pro soccer. Soccer by far required more running. Football was a joke in comparison.

Comment

My theory involves JUICE BOXES AND TROPHIES. Once get to about the u13 year and find out it's not juice boxes and trophies for everybody, they bail.

Comment

Here is an interesting read on sports participation

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/9...-espn-magazine
                      Thanks for sharing! The statistics are excellent. We should be out exercising more instead of on TS. Kid obesity at 16.9% in 2010! Adult obesity projected to be at 42% soon even with all the youth sports. Kids are spending 7 or more hours in front of the screens even with sports. Interesting that all sports tend to decline in participation after 13. Household income drives early sports participation, and as most would predict the suburbs are more sports focused. Florida is in the bottom 5 for the percentage of students who can play high school sports.

Comment

true but some midfielders can run 9 miles in a game.

Comment

Thanks for sharing! The statistics are excellent. We should be out exercising more instead of on TS. Kid obesity at 16.9% in 2010! Adult obesity projected to be at 42% soon even with all the youth sports. Kids are spending 7 or more hours in front of the screens even with sports. Interesting that all sports tend to decline in participation after 13. Household income drives early sports participation, and as most would predict the suburbs are more sports focused. Florida is in the bottom 5 for the percentage of students who can play high school sports.
                          When the apocalypse comes, I will be living on my 36% bodyfat long after your starve to death.

Comment

When the apocalypse comes, I will be living on my 36% bodyfat long after your starve to death.
                            Unless you die of a heart attack first.

Comment

Soccer will continue to grow and become accepted as a US sport as the country continues to diversify. Immigrants are by far soccer fans more than they are football, basketball and baseball. It is also a sport that requires only a ball and open space. Many public school have taken up soccer because it requires so little capital. Finally, as soccer players become soccer parents, the sport will grow the fan base exponentially. Think of it this way, most boys play football, basketball or baseball because their parents directed them to the sport from the time they are born. As more and more parents put soccer on the tube and a soccer plush in the crib, you will see more kids play soccer.

The other factor is the teen culture of sports. As alluded to in previous posts, there is no fanbase for soccer in High School. Regardless of what you feel about HS v Club, the High School is the social center of a teenagers life. Kids naturally gravitate towards the more popular sports. They don't hold pep rallies for the soccer team. This will change as soccer continues to grow in popular culture. In some Hispanic neighborhoods, soccer is already more popular than football.

One change that will help the sport retain players is to play soccer during the same season across the country. Some schools play in the fall, some in Winter and some in Spring. There is no way you can build a consensus national ranking and schedule cross state rivalries when there is no "soccer season" in High School.

Of course the Club Snobs will disparage High School soccer as being dangerous, recreational and irrelevant. In most regions, they are right. The only exception would be among the private schools which can afford to hire professional coaches and recruit the best talent. Among public schools, HS is a hodge-podge of skilled club players and clueless rec players with school spirit.

This will probably be the last thing to change. Government is the slowest to change and we all know that public schools are bureaucratic sloths slowed even more by the scrutiny of parents. All it takes is one parent to stand up at a school board meeting and raise a concern and a policy change will be tabled for months while a "blue-ribbon panel" conducts a study. I still feel the popularity of the sport will eventually win over even the most traditional school boards. Soccer coaches will become principals and soccer fans will become school board members. Someone will present a financial analysis that shows that soccer cost the school 10% of football, basketball and baseball and the old guard will be persuaded to bring the sport into fold. Once that happens, you will see soccer hit another growth spurt as more kids stick with it and more parents accept it as an American Sport.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X