X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Soccer a game or sport? - Friendly Arguments Only

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    It's not fun to argue because it's not an argument at all. Here is the first definition when I Googled "Definition of Sport":

sport
    spôrt/Submit
    noun
    an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.
    team sports such as baseball and soccer

So they even use soccer as an example in their definition. End of discussion!
    So Google is now the bible? any geek, nerd english major who possible never had an athletic background can write crap on google....Does Soccer fit the Criteria of a sport? (see list of criteria above). I like soccer also, but I would not compare it with boxing or wrestling.

The history of soccer dates back over 2000 years, but never included in the ancient olympic games (not until recently) you know why? Ancient Greece (Yes the back bone of our modern democracy and the english language) Ancient Greece knew then soccer was not a real sport.

“I swear it upon Zeus an outstanding runner cannot be the equal of an average wrestler.”
    Socrates

Comment

I just want to know what drink or drug you had on hand when you began to ponder this? Thanks I needed the laugh this morning. Like what the---I just can't. This thread cannot be real. SMH. Geez.

Comment

So Google is now the bible? any geek, nerd english major who possible never had an athletic background can write crap on google....Does Soccer fit the Criteria of a sport? (see list of criteria above). I like soccer also, but I would not compare it with boxing or wrestling.

The history of soccer dates back over 2000 years, but never included in the ancient olympic games (not until recently) you know why? Ancient Greece (Yes the back bone of our modern democracy and the english language) Ancient Greece knew then soccer was not a real sport.

“I swear it upon Zeus an outstanding runner cannot be the equal of an average wrestler.”
        Socrates
        Well if you are going to swear upon Zeus we will have to concede. Zeus is zeus.

Comment

I just want to know what drink or drug you had on hand when you began to ponder this? Thanks I needed the laugh this morning. Like what the---I just can't. This thread cannot be real. SMH. Geez.

Well it is Friday!!!!!Who the hell wants to work today anyway!!! :) But Yes a real thread.

Comment

It's not fun to argue because it's not an argument at all. Here is the first definition when I Googled "Definition of Sport":

sport
            spôrt/Submit
            noun
            an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.
            team sports such as baseball and soccer

So they even use soccer as an example in their definition. End of discussion!
            yes, what I said on the first page-just had to look up the standard dictionary definition as to what is accepted. Now, the guy who started the thread doesn't accept that. LOL.

Comment

Well if you are going to swear upon Zeus we will have to concede. Zeus is zeus.
              based on this logic, soccer is a sport, since it entails running distance(several miles) and sprints.

Comment

based on this logic, soccer is a sport, since it entails running distance(several miles) and sprints.
                uh, if your running several miles in a game....you are not playing good soccer. perhaps this is why usmnt no qualify for the world cup.

Comment

uh, if your running several miles in a game....you are not playing good soccer. perhaps this is why usmnt no qualify for the world cup.
                  Except for the fact that an EPL midfielder averages 10.8 km per game, which is 6.7 miles.

Comment

there is running PERIOD. that was the crteria in the quote. You tried to go off on a tangent to no avail.

SPORT
                    SPORT
                    SPORT

Comment

there is running PERIOD. that was the crteria in the quote. You tried to go off on a tangent to no avail.

SPORT
                      SPORT
                      SPORT
                      I might settle with you half way
                      GORT
                      GORT
                      GORT

At Best!!! :)

Comment

I think your grasping at straws buddy....Socrates is merely comparing two athletes of two different real sports in Ancient Greece.

I also think that in this day and age there is no question that soccer players are in fact tremendous athletes correct?

Comment

There are 3 main criteria that must be considered in order to classify an activity as a sport.

1) There must be a direct conflict between 2 opponents.
                          2) If it involves a ball, its a game (every argument has at least one exception, the exception goes to singles tennis). Just about every game played involves a ball. In boxing, wrestling, tennis, track and field no one has ever asked "what time is the game" its always referred to as a "match". Foot Ball, Basket Ball & Soccer is always referred to as a "game".
                          3) The rules in a real sport cannot be discretionary in any way. How many soccer games have we attended where the referee from one game to the next constantly fouls up the rules on pushing, tackling, fouls etc? Referees take it upon themselves to make up the rules as they go along. In Track or swimming, there is no discretion on the rules. You make it to the finish line first....you win.
                          1. Direct conflict; not sure what soccer games you watch, but there is direct conflict between participants in every soccer game that I watch, only some of which end up as yellow or red cards.

2. It is a little bush league to disqualify entire team "pursuits" in your "criteria", and some of your other disqualifications are wonky as well - it depends if you call it a match or game? What if i told you I use those terms interchangeably, then I guess it is okay for me to believe soccer and the rest are sports, or to believe that there are no sports at all (allegory of the cave anyone).

It feels like what you meant to say is that sports can only involve individual pursuits, against a competitor or a clock (which supports certain track events and disqualifies others by the way, and doubles tennis - what a conundrum).

3. Imagine this, beginning of a track race, gun goes off and one competitor turns and punches someone in the face, then goes on to win the race. They got to the finish line first, did they win, or would they get disqualified? Less egregious, a trip occurs during a race, one competitor strays into another persons lane - same question, does result stand? What about shoulders bumping while both people were in there lane, with arms flailing across lane on both sides, one falls and the other wins - same question; you see, this is where a judge's discretion will come in to determine outcome. There are rules in every sport, or game, and discretion as well; try wearing shorts up to your chest in a boxing match, you will be disqualified, but wear them midway up your stomach, and ref will make the call. Do a search for rules of boxing, ref, manager, physician "discretion" is permitted throughout the rules.

Regarding your complaint regarding soccer referees, inconsistent reffing is not an indication of discretion run amok, just bad reffing.

As to above, its Friday.

Comment

1. Direct conflict; not sure what soccer games you watch, but there is direct conflict between participants in every soccer game that I watch, only some of which end up as yellow or red cards.

2. It is a little bush league to disqualify entire team "pursuits" in your "criteria", and some of your other disqualifications are wonky as well - it depends if you call it a match or game? What if i told you I use those terms interchangeably, then I guess it is okay for me to believe soccer and the rest are sports, or to believe that there are no sports at all (allegory of the cave anyone).

It feels like what you meant to say is that sports can only involve individual pursuits, against a competitor or a clock (which supports certain track events and disqualifies others by the way, and doubles tennis - what a conundrum).

3. Imagine this, beginning of a track race, gun goes off and one competitor turns and punches someone in the face, then goes on to win the race. They got to the finish line first, did they win, or would they get disqualified? Less egregious, a trip occurs during a race, one competitor strays into another persons lane - same question, does result stand? What about shoulders bumping while both people were in there lane, with arms flailing across lane on both sides, one falls and the other wins - same question; you see, this is where a judge's discretion will come in to determine outcome. There are rules in every sport, or game, and discretion as well; try wearing shorts up to your chest in a boxing match, you will be disqualified, but wear them midway up your stomach, and ref will make the call. Do a search for rules of boxing, ref, manager, physician "discretion" is permitted throughout the rules.

Regarding your complaint regarding soccer referees, inconsistent reffing is not an indication of discretion run amok, just bad reffing.

As to above, its Friday.

Wow, I have got to hand it to you, You are the only one to put any real thought into your answers and you are a worthy adversary....I Salute You. Not sure how two rebut your #2 #3 response. that will require some time on my end (and its getting close to 5 pm) :)

In response to #1. So are we saying that soccer is not a Team Sport? Do we win, lose or draw as a team? Do players today either blame the defender or goalie for not doing there jobs or make mistakes? Of course they do you here it almost all the time on the losing team side (in most team based games). There is no one to blame when things go wrong in a real sport like wrestling, only yourself...It takes a lot mentally to overcome this. Inferior people usually blame others, Superior People Blame themselves...I think this is why the ancient greeks did not include soccer in the olympic games. It was certainly around but it was not worthy of inclusion....Similar Idealogy per the Spartans who did not utilize the bow and arrow in the arsenal....they considered the idea of striking your opponent from a distance as cowardly. This is the bases for the 1st criteria of 1 on 1 direct conflict. (winning or losing as a team disqualifies the activity from being a real sport based on the 1st criteria).

Comment

I might settle with you half way
                              GORT
                              GORT
                              GORT

At Best!!! :)
                              this is expert level trolling. gotta say i respect this.

Comment

Wow, I have got to hand it to you, You are the only one to put any real thought into your answers and you are a worthy adversary....I Salute You. Not sure how two rebut your #2 #3 response. that will require some time on my end (and its getting close to 5 pm) :)

In response to #1. So are we saying that soccer is not a Team Sport? Do we win, lose or draw as a team? Do players today either blame the defender or goalie for not doing there jobs or make mistakes? Of course they do you here it almost all the time on the losing team side (in most team based games). There is no one to blame when things go wrong in a real sport like wrestling, only yourself...It takes a lot mentally to overcome this. Inferior people usually blame others, Superior People Blame themselves...I think this is why the ancient greeks did not include soccer in the olympic games. It was certainly around but it was not worthy of inclusion....Similar Idealogy per the Spartans who did not utilize the bow and arrow in the arsenal....they considered the idea of striking your opponent from a distance as cowardly. This is the bases for the 1st criteria of 1 on 1 direct conflict. (winning or losing as a team disqualifies the activity from being a real sport based on the 1st criteria).
                                Regarding #1, the only requirement was "Conflict between two opponents." Soccer is a contact sport, there is always conflict - that one was the easiest to rebut. This is apparently a game to you because you have decided to change the rules :). To continue with the boxing analogy, what is the conflict, the punching (which is what I thought you were referring to), or all of the actions leading up to each punch, the matching of the wits (the fake with the left, the movement of the head, the step forward or to the side, and then the haymaker with the right)? In any event, soccer contains both; there are clashes all over the field, and then there is the team, working from the back, maintaining possession, applying pressure to see if opponent will break and then the finale, a shot on goal, if everything else has worked. Soccer is a classic weak link sport, more often than not, the entire team has to work together to get a score, one weak link in the chain and the attack fails. If your son or daughter is on a team where the keeper or last line of defense is regularly blamed for goals, they are on the wrong team, mistakes happen all over the field which can eventually lead to a score.

You do know that equestrian events were included in the first Olympics; if the horse fell over and died during an event, they could certainly blame the horse, or the horse's trainer or whoever fed the horse the hemlock, and not the driver. Of course drivers needed skill, to handle horse and conditions of race (is it an oval, is it a straightaway), but generally the biggest horse wins if all else is equal, taking it completely out of the hands of a driver.

I don't know why soccer wasn't included in ancient Olympics, I don't think there were any team sports in ancient Olympics, which may be the reason; I thought games were to crown individual champions (noone cared about second or third then either).

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X