Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Larry is posting the PDI scores which are supposed to be confidential. That might be grounds for another lawsuit from LIJSL.
    Oh we all know how this is going to play out. LIJSL will issue a cease and desist to Larry. Larry will say no, claim Freedom of Information, and disparage LIJSL for "preventing him from reporting the news." He'll make a big a** deal about it on BOTN and try to rile up posters. Just like he did with Surf over the pasts spring and summer.

In the meantime it's Larry whose ignoring any attempts at creating developmental soccer for these kids while LIJSL is doing the honorable thing. Larry - why do you see developmental scores of 9 and 10 year olds newsworthy? Are you that desperate for website hits? Just as those other posts on Surf it's clear Larry cares about nothing except himself and his business.

BTW he has taken "pathetic soccer dad" to a whole new level.

Comment

Oh we all know how this is going to play out. LIJSL will issue a cease and desist to Larry. Larry will say no, claim Freedom of Information, and disparage LIJSL for "preventing him from reporting the news." He'll make a big a** deal about it on BOTN and try to rile up posters. Just like he did with Surf over the pasts spring and summer.

In the meantime it's Larry whose ignoring any attempts at creating developmental soccer for these kids while LIJSL is doing the honorable thing. Larry - why do you see developmental scores of 9 and 10 year olds newsworthy? Are you that desperate for website hits? Just as those other posts on Surf it's clear Larry cares about nothing except himself and his business.

BTW he has taken "pathetic soccer dad" to a whole new level.
      Yeah, LIJSL is actually trying to right thing by the kids and soccer in general but he has to be an ass and report the scores anyway.

Comment

Hey Larry ... How you doing?

BOTN is still terrible.

Comment

back of the net is terrible

Yeah, LIJSL is actually trying to right thing by the kids and soccer in general but he has to be an ass and report the scores anyway.
          LIJSL is sponsoring the RDS program for the Redbulls. It says in order to try-out you must be a LIJSL member. What if your child on plays in JSS? There's try-outs for 2009 and LIJSL doesn't start until U9 correct? So I called them and they said there are intramural programs for that age group in LIJSL and that's who would qualify to try-out. RDS says this is for elite players?? So intramural kids are going to try-out? I don't understand.

Comment

LIJSL is sponsoring the RDS program for the Redbulls. It says in order to try-out you must be a LIJSL member. What if your child on plays in JSS? There's try-outs for 2009 and LIJSL doesn't start until U9 correct? So I called them and they said there are intramural programs for that age group in LIJSL and that's who would qualify to try-out. RDS says this is for elite players?? So intramural kids are going to try-out? I don't understand.
            Since LIJSL has no travel program for that age group the good LIJSL players would be in intramural.

Please read the above sentence more than once if you still have questions or need clarification. LIJSL has decided to act as if JSS/NYCSL does not exist, so of course the good players are in intramural, where else could they be?

Besides, RDL? Seriously, you are considering that?

Comment

back of the net

Originally posted by Lollipop Mom View Post
              Since LIJSL has no travel program for that age group the good LIJSL players would be in intramural.

Please read the above sentence more than once if you still have questions or need clarification. LIJSL has decided to act as if JSS/NYCSL does not exist, so of course the good players are in intramural, where else could they be?

Besides, RDL? Seriously, you are considering that?
              Why wouldn't I consider it? This is my first kid so new to all of this

Comment

The ones in NJ are good. Don't know about LI.

Comment

The ones in NJ are good. Don't know about LI.
                  LI was very good. Would definitely recommend it. Last year they took about 6 kids per year and all were very good players. A lot of very talented kids didn't make the team. Combine the high quality of player and the excellent coaching, my kid got a lot out of it. Cost was also about $375 for 20 two hour trainings. They are a very organized program and communications were always excellent.

Comment

Your kid is EIGHT that's why not.

Comment

Originally posted by Shuffle Butt View Post
                      Your kid is EIGHT that's why not.
                      I see nothing wrong with giving a kid extra training at an early age. It's only going to help the kid. The kid will learn technical skills that will stay with them. To me that's a worthwhile investment. Parent coaches can only do so much.

JSS poster do what you think is best for your kid. We took our U8 kid out of state to a great club for soccer because the soccer in our area wasn't that good. Some parents thought we were crazy for doing the 70 mile round trip drive for a 7 year old. The above poster also would probably flip over the costs on top of the drive. We don't regret it at all. And we weren't the craziest of the parents. On top of the club training some of the parents were paying for additional private training to the tune of $100/session. The above poster can balk at that.

On a different note it sounds like you might want to consider leaving your club/JSS at year's end for something that makes more sense and is less aggravating.

Comment

I see nothing wrong with giving a kid extra training at an early age. It's only going to help the kid. The kid will learn technical skills that will stay with them. To me that's a worthwhile investment. Parent coaches can only do so much.

JSS poster do what you think is best for your kid. We took our U8 kid out of state to a great club for soccer because the soccer in our area wasn't that good. Some parents thought we were crazy for doing the 70 mile round trip drive for a 7 year old. The above poster also would probably flip over the costs on top of the drive. We don't regret it at all. And we weren't the craziest of the parents. On top of the club training some of the parents were paying for additional private training to the tune of $100/session. The above poster can balk at that.

On a different note it sounds like you might want to consider leaving your club/JSS at year's end for something that makes more sense and is less aggravating.
                        Sorry but yeah that's pretty crazy. Kids burn out very easily and long commutes only exacerbate it. Yours would be a rare case of it working. In general many kids will drop out of activities as they get older - it's just what happens as they figure out what they're good at and are passionate about. In most cases staying local and not going too crazy is a good call until you see how serious/dedicated your child is. Supplemental training is a great route to go to keep building skills. If you look at programs such as above as purely that then that's great. Too many parents think it will give their kid a leg up into DA programs, but that is not the case. They'll take whoever they think is the better player no matter where they were playing before.

ps you can also lower private training costs doing it with a few families. another good option (assuming you can find a good trainer)

Comment

back of the net is terrible

I started training for my son at 7 yrs old. He had a passion early for sports. Myself and other family trained once a week and split the costs. It took me a while to find a good trainer but once we did I saw big changes in both players. We continued the training through out the years of him playing and also added agility training as well. He's a junior now and started Varsity as a freshmen. Our goal was always a good college for him. And we've accomplished that. He has many offers. He didn't burn out, he always loved playing. So my point is, to each is own. If people want to invest their money and time into doing extra training so be it. It worked for us!

Comment

We live in Staten Island. Lots of border kids cross state lines to play club: PDA, FC Copa, IGFA, NJ Stallions, MF. We looked at Alby and EM for U8. Shorter distance wise by a few miles but much longer commuting wise. We also looked at Manhattan SC. Paying 3K for U8 + bridge and tunnel tolls + parking was "crazy" to us.

So we ended up at PDA at U8 after 3 years of rec. Absolutely zero regrets for paying more money at the early age and driving to NJ. The kid got excellent training and has mad technical skills. We definitely got our money's worth. In our minds we avoided the "shoulda woulda coulda" if we had stayed local and then tried to move the kid to a more competitive club at a later age. I'm very glad we did. Those Jersey girls already had mad skills at U8 and they just got better and better. I don't see how our kid could have made PDA at a later age if we had stayed rec.

Having said that yes PDA does have cuts and they do end up taking the top player from other town clubs. I'm not saying a town kid can't eventually make a top club at a later age. In my mind its harder though. They are only taking *1* kid - not 4 or 5. That 1 kid has to be exceptional.

Someone over on BOTN made a statement that also makes me glad we went club at U8. The person said we have tons of soccer teams in Long Island but we do not have the same level of top talent output as other clubs/states (as in NT team placement, professional players, etc).

In other words, is playing rec/town travel in LI at the early ages hurting kids? Would it be better to start the kid out at a young age with the high level travel club?

Comment

Larry pumping himself up again today -

"I think the best way to describe it, and how I see NY Surf is that there is the club, NY SURF.

Under the main umbrella tree are what I see as branches, i.e., NY Surf Westchester, and NY Surf Long Island.

I do not yet know if NY Surf will also branch out into the specific boroughs, but if they decide to do that I will be the first to let you know"

Comment

Larry pumping himself up again today -

"I think the best way to describe it, and how I see NY Surf is that there is the club, NY SURF.

Under the main umbrella tree are what I see as branches, i.e., NY Surf Westchester, and NY Surf Long Island.

I do not yet know if NY Surf will also branch out into the specific boroughs, but if they decide to do that I will be the first to let you know"
                                Everyone knows he posts the question, then the answer. He sees himself as a PR guy for the clubs that pay him to shape their message. His traffic numbers are horribly inflated. That's why only the clueless advertise there. Most smart people know this and take a small banner up top which serves as protection money to keep him from mouthing off about your club.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X