Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Every excuse because your kid couldn’t compete against another soccer player? College will be rough.
    I don't think anybody is trying to take credit away from Brockton. Hopefully they competed within the rules and if so their success should be celebrated.

In the past, there have been issues with coaches/administrator's/parents following the rules (not in Brockton). The rules are there to ensure that the competition is fair and equitable, that's why there are different divisions based on enrollment and age limits.

It's easier to verify that the rules have been followed when a student athlete has matriculated through the school system as opposed to enrolling as a Junior or Senior from a foreign country.

Brockton has such a large immigrant population that it's hard for some to wrap their heads around. Most schools don't have this large an influx of foreign students each year, and if it appears that most of the new students are top notch soccer players...naturally those outside the community begin to wonder?

Comment

I don't think anybody is trying to take credit away from Brockton. Hopefully they competed within the rules and if so their success should be celebrated.

In the past, there have been issues with coaches/administrator's/parents following the rules (not in Brockton). The rules are there to ensure that the competition is fair and equitable, that's why there are different divisions based on enrollment and age limits.

It's easier to verify that the rules have been followed when a student athlete has matriculated through the school system as opposed to enrolling as a Junior or Senior from a foreign country.

Brockton has such a large immigrant population that it's hard for some to wrap their heads around. Most schools don't have this large an influx of foreign students each year, and if it appears that most of the new students are top notch soccer players...naturally those outside the community begin to wonder?
      And let's face it. Brockton's enrollment could accommodate 3 or 4 division 1 teams when you compare with some other D1 schools. Imagine combining the talents of 3 other D1 schools into one super team...that would certainly provide an advantage.

Comment

Geez, can you fools let it go. You make Brockton sound like Mar-a-lago for heaven's sakes. One of the top 3-4 most disadvantaged places in the state and you all are insisting they have every possible advantage one can imagine.

Comment

Geez, can you fools let it go. You make Brockton sound like Mar-a-lago for heaven's sakes. One of the top 3-4 most disadvantaged places in the state and you all are insisting they have every possible advantage one can imagine.
          From Where are you getting your " disadvantage" stats?

Comment

It is not limited to Brockton. Sharon won a state title several years back with a foreigner who was allegedly 21.
            Allegedly is the key word. Let's try to be more fact based in this country. I know many in our leaders tend to blend truth with aspirational believes.

Comment

New Bedford
              Framingham
              Lowell
              Marlboro
              Worcester
              Ludlow

All these towns have immigrant populations that add substantially to their soccer prowess.

Comment

Asking whether a similar circumstance with an immigrant from England or another Anglo/Saxon country would create similar questions is silly. Of course it wouldn't. And that really has nothing to do with race. I would put forward two reasons why similar questions wouldn't be raised. First, there is a long history of immigrants from latin american countries or disadvantaged countries screwing around with their birth certificates and falsifying ages. That's just the way its been. Second, these kids are usually from a poor background and susceptible to being used by sports parents, coaches and administrators. And with English being a second language its even more ripe for abuse. These situations don't exist for the most part with immigrants from countries like England or Ireland.

Comment

From Where are you getting your " disadvantage" stats?
                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._capita_income

Brockton ranks 341 out of 351 cities/towns in massachusetts for per capita income

Bottom 3% of the state

http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/massa...ous-cities-ma/

2nd most dangerous city in the State when ranked by violent crimes oer 100 residents

How do you measure "disadvantage"?

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._capita_income

Brockton ranks 341 out of 351 cities/towns in massachusetts for per capita income

Bottom 3% of the state

http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/massa...ous-cities-ma/

2nd most dangerous city in the State when ranked by violent crimes oer 100 residents

How do you measure "disadvantage"?
                    Thank you!!!

The idea that Brockton HS "recruits" top notch soccer players is just about the most ridiculous and grossly naive comment I've ever seen. Maybe you should round up your friends in the Range Rover and go on a field trip to Brockton HS. Might learn something.

Comment

I may just do that! Of course it will have to wait until after I make my signature pear and walnut brunch waffles for Tyler and little Brianna.

Comment

Final state rankings? Alex? Anonymites?

Comment

Final state rankings? Alex? Anonymites?
                          Division 1

Brockton
                          Longmeadow
                          St Johns Prep
                          Needham
                          Brookline
                          Wellesley
                          Weymouth

Longmeadow and SJP are too close to really separate
                          The bottom four are interchangeable.

Comment

I may just do that! Of course it will have to wait until after I make my signature pear and walnut brunch waffles for Tyler and little Brianna.
                            Take Tyler and Brianna with you. Can probably get school credit for the "experience" of meeting privileged people of color on full scholarships at the acclaimed Brockton High.

Comment

Tyler has fencing lessons, and Brianna volunteers at the equestrian center before her cello recital tonight. Good idea though. I'll talk to the academic dean at their private school and share schedules to get it done. Thanks

Comment

Division 1

Brockton
                                Longmeadow
                                St Johns Prep
                                Needham
                                Brookline
                                Wellesley
                                Weymouth

Longmeadow and SJP are too close to really separate
                                The bottom four are interchangeable.
                                Not a big fan of the finalist automatically getting the #2 ranking. I think the MIAA needs to rotate the four D1 division semi-finals games so that occasionally you get a North vs. South matchup in the final, which most often is the marquee matchup with the two best teams. I know they want both sides of the state represented but they're missing out on the best matchup in the final most times.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X