Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    The good news is now your kid can call them and have a proper conversation without beating around the topic of recruiting.
    In fact I would recommend it. The sooner you find out the better. There's still time to adjust her targets if she didn't hit her mark the first time. Waiting and hoping can end with a lot of last minute stressful scrambling

Comment

My D received 3 emails from D1 schools. But...I can't tell if they're generic emails by them just changing the name at the top. This is our first go around so really don't know what to expect. I'm assuming top recruits received phone calls and more personalized emails, and some others in possible "consideration" spots received something more automated?

Comment

My D received 3 emails from D1 schools. But...I can't tell if they're generic emails by them just changing the name at the top. This is our first go around so really don't know what to expect. I'm assuming top recruits received phone calls and more personalized emails, and some others in possible "consideration" spots received something more automated?
        Is there anything specific in it? Like "we saw you at X event and like how you did Y? " or a mention that they have already talked to her coach? If it's a ID invite only that's a red flag. If it feels generic it probably is. Use her coach to flush out genuine interest. Do it quickly so she can move on if there isn't a good fit.

Comment

Is there anything specific in it? Like "we saw you at X event and like how you did Y? " or a mention that they have already talked to her coach? If it's a ID invite only that's a red flag. If it feels generic it probably is. Use her coach to flush out genuine interest. Do it quickly so she can move on if there isn't a good fit.
          Have you D email the coach (and assistant coaches) directly and say she received the email and is interested in the school, etc. etc. If your kid was a top recruit for them they would call her directly and not email but in some cases for the 2nd tier kids they are sending out the email to suss out your kid's interest in them. If she reaches out and shows she saw the email, read it and wants to talk, she might hear back from the coach. At the very least it's another plus for her when they start to look past their first targets. This is a long journey - don't let your kid get too down. It's early still, especially with this COVID madness.

Comment

Have you D email the coach (and assistant coaches) directly and say she received the email and is interested in the school, etc. etc. If your kid was a top recruit for them they would call her directly and not email but in some cases for the 2nd tier kids they are sending out the email to suss out your kid's interest in them. If she reaches out and shows she saw the email, read it and wants to talk, she might hear back from the coach. At the very least it's another plus for her when they start to look past their first targets. This is a long journey - don't let your kid get too down. It's early still, especially with this COVID madness.
            Yes they typically reach out directly to their top picks first. But think about this - with no spring events they know there's plenty of good players out there they haven't even had a chance to see yet. Have your player keep reaching out and trying to see if there's any interest. It helps keep your player on their radar. Plenty of players are picked up in "the 2nd round" that work out great.

Comment

Was hoping to hear from a couple of schools...... crickets.
              Is this the general consensus of how things are going for the 2022's? Covid related? Economy with no idea of budget etc.? Thoughts? Please no snarky comments. Truly trying to figure out this landscape. She unfortunately was injured during showcase time.

Comment

Is this the general consensus of how things are going for the 2022's? Covid related? Economy with no idea of budget etc.? Thoughts? Please no snarky comments. Truly trying to figure out this landscape. She unfortunately was injured during showcase time.
                It's all going to be a mess for awhile. Some schools are still finishing up 21s. I know it's very stressful but remember Covid has pushed the timeline back for 22's. Coaches will be adding ID events as soon as they get the go ahead from their employers they can. Have her continue to reach out and go through her target list with her to make sure it's appropriate. It's always good to have a mix of safeties, solids and reaches. Better to have to narrow down later then to target too narrow and find out you aimed wrong.

Comment

Halfway through Day 2 and my kid is about a dozen calls in, with a lot of emails from coaches still looking to schedule calls. It's a mix of ACC (not Duke or UNC-much lower down the food chain), Big 10, SEC, Big East, AE, PL & MAAC.
                  (Background)My kid is probably top 6-8 on a strong ECNL team (club doesn't make much of a fuss over her, no recommendations for awards or accolades or anything, but she plays a lot). My kid has never attended a college ID event hosted by a college.
                  Club coach had been getting interest about her from a number of colleges for about a year or so, last week things ramped up and coach was contacting my kid every other day with new schools that had reached out about her.
                  First 2 calls yesterday morning were from schools my kid never reached out to...

Very little discussion of money, only a few discussed being able to put together a very substantial package for her (Mid-Majors).
                  Kid asked how Covid affected the programs and most talked only about the upcoming season, my shy 16 year old felt awkward being super direct about money at such an early stage-so it was kind of vague, but most said they were hoping to stay close to on track with their timeline for 2022.
                  Some seemed very confident that their program would not be affected at all-SEC & Big 10 were the most confident and were sort of "business as usual" as far as they were concerned, said they were looking at early August camps & clinics. Others talked about the possibility of the dead period being extended to November.

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter's injury, hope she's recovered or at least on the mend. Hate to sound callous, but this might have been the best year for an injury...your daughter wasn't the only one unable to play.

Comment

Halfway through Day 2 and my kid is about a dozen calls in, with a lot of emails from coaches still looking to schedule calls. It's a mix of ACC (not Duke or UNC-much lower down the food chain), Big 10, SEC, Big East, AE, PL & MAAC.
                    (Background)My kid is probably top 6-8 on a strong ECNL team (club doesn't make much of a fuss over her, no recommendations for awards or accolades or anything, but she plays a lot). My kid has never attended a college ID event hosted by a college.
                    Club coach had been getting interest about her from a number of colleges for about a year or so, last week things ramped up and coach was contacting my kid every other day with new schools that had reached out about her.
                    First 2 calls yesterday morning were from schools my kid never reached out to...

Very little discussion of money, only a few discussed being able to put together a very substantial package for her (Mid-Majors).
                    Kid asked how Covid affected the programs and most talked only about the upcoming season, my shy 16 year old felt awkward being super direct about money at such an early stage-so it was kind of vague, but most said they were hoping to stay close to on track with their timeline for 2022.
                    Some seemed very confident that their program would not be affected at all-SEC & Big 10 were the most confident and were sort of "business as usual" as far as they were concerned, said they were looking at early August camps & clinics. Others talked about the possibility of the dead period being extended to November.

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter's injury, hope she's recovered or at least on the mend. Hate to sound callous, but this might have been the best year for an injury...your daughter wasn't the only one unable to play.
                    Thank you for your response. That is so exciting for your daughter! I wish her luck and patience in getting through these next few months.

Yes, injured but prior to that she was seen at Big 10, ACC and some other camps last summer, pulled into all star games, she did well. She was re-invited to camps with and against other recruits. Unfortunately, her injury happened early into last season. She did speak with a D1 yesterday very interested but her exposure has ben very limited.

So hard to navigate this. I told her to wait a couple days and reach out. Not sure if this is good advise or not. She is physically good now and of course no where to be seen. Like everyone.

Comment

Schools can't give official offers yet, not until September. It will also partly depend on who else is on their list and if they think they will get them (or not). that she's had so many calls from target schools is a great start.

Comment

Thank you for your response. That is so exciting for your daughter! I wish her luck and patience in getting through these next few months.

Yes, injured but prior to that she was seen at Big 10, ACC and some other camps last summer, pulled into all star games, she did well. She was re-invited to camps with and against other recruits. Unfortunately, her injury happened early into last season. She did speak with a D1 yesterday very interested but her exposure has ben very limited.

So hard to navigate this. I told her to wait a couple days and reach out. Not sure if this is good advise or not. She is physically good now and of course no where to be seen. Like everyone.
                        Always. Stay. On. Their. Radar.

Since they're making calls to their first picks now, that also means they might already be getting some rejections. It's also a good chance to ask when they think they will be able to do an on campus event so your player can plan to attend.

Comment

Luck is the residue of skill.
                          Actually...luck is the result of hard work and preparation.

Comment

Actually...luck is the result of hard work and preparation.
                            For the less skilled perhaps.

Comment

Well my kid was panicking yesterday because her top choice school hadn't reached out, even though they had told her coach they would.

Coach's advise was to calm down, it was only the beginning and if she didn't hear from them by today or Weds (tomorrow), that she should poke them with an email on Thursday-acknowledge how busy coaches must be, reiterate how interested/excited she is about the program and that she's looking forward to getting the chance to speak with them. She did hear from them this morning, thankfully, but she was prepared to shoot the email off on Thursday had she not.

It can't hurt to politely reiterate interest. When my kid got on the phone with top choice today, she was very prepared, not rehearsed, but prepared. She talked about what she hopes to study and that the school had a great program for it-even cited some notable alumni, talked about her desire to go to the particular size of school and why-completely opposite from her HS and that her sibling had done the same (different school) and it they loved the different experience, talked about the area and how much she loved that type of setting. Had insightful questions about the team, had watched a few games online and talked about the formation and such and things she liked about what the team did, drawing parallels to experiences with her own team. Keep in mind, this was all in humble, shy, 16 year-old speak, lol.

Coach was impressed by her research and before they hung up said-"I had no idea you were *this* interested in (our school)..."

Best of luck to your daughter, here's hoping she gets everything she wants out of all this :)

Comment

Those that are hearing from schools are both d1’s and d2’s reaching out? Since d3’s can talk anytime have top d3’s already reached out or will they wait until junior year to show serious interest?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X