Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Bryant and HC are bottom of the heap this year- a top D2 team would give them a good challenge and could beat them no question.
    And they’d probably beat BC too then bc HC tied BC - and given that bc beat Clemson, they take Clemson down too. But; could they possibly beat a top d3 team like tufts? Wow. The dolphins vs the jumbos. I can see it now.

Comment

Lol let’s be honest. A lot of those schools are bottom of the barrel D1. Probably couldn’t beat most D2 teams.
      Let's be honest. You wish your kid was going to some of those schools

Comment

And they’d probably beat BC too then bc HC tied BC - and given that bc beat Clemson, they take Clemson down too. But; could they possibly beat a top d3 team like tufts? Wow. The dolphins vs the jumbos. I can see it now.
        can't go by that logic. flukes happen. Rankings are key because they are collective stats and take into account strength of schedule. HC, Bryant and Hartford are some of the worst New England teams this year.

Comment

Bryant and HC are bottom of the heap this year- a top D2 team would give them a good challenge and could beat them no question.
          It's tough to compare D1 to D2 because the schedules are very different...i.e. Holy Cross had a much tougher schedule than the Lemoyne Dolphins. The speed of play of HC (or any D1 team) versus Lemoyne is very different. I'm not saying that there aren't good D2 or D3 teams/players...I'm just saying there is a reason that D1 teams take kids from Academy, or international, versus strong NEP or high school players. (My kids not in academy so don't go there).

Comment

Let's be honest. You wish your kid was going to some of those schools
            I wish my kid was a Jumbo...not a Dolphin.

Comment

It's tough to compare D1 to D2 because the schedules are very different...i.e. Holy Cross had a much tougher schedule than the Lemoyne Dolphins. The speed of play of HC (or any D1 team) versus Lemoyne is very different. I'm not saying that there aren't good D2 or D3 teams/players...I'm just saying there is a reason that D1 teams take kids from Academy, or international, versus strong NEP or high school players. (My kids not in academy so don't go there).
              Please create your own thread if you want to discuss bottom of D1 vs top D2. Let's stick to the subject here. Thanks

Comment

Please create your own thread if you want to discuss bottom of D1 vs top D2. Let's stick to the subject here. Thanks
                Ok, just had to look. Lemoyne lost to unranked D2 Wilmington University - apparently from the great state of Delaware - 4-1 in the first round. This result comes sharply on heels of losing to unranked D2 American International College. Both at home. Although I never want to lose, I'd prefer to lose in OT or double OT to D1 teams than straight up juice squeeze from teams that the BC women's team could take down.

Now, back to to program.

Comment

D1

Owen Schwartz, ?, Worcester Academy, Brown
                  John Muckstadt, GPS, Dover Sherborn, Colgate
                  Eli Gould, Black Rock, NMH, Colgate
                  Nick Steed, Black Rock, Berkshire, Colgate
                  Jack Ostrosky, Bolts, Rutland, Holy Cross
                  Andrew White, Revs, Boxborough, Lehigh
                  Christian Pulselli, Bolts, Pembroke, Michigan
                  Jacques Baldwin, GPS, Brookline, Northeastern
                  Colby Hegarty, Bolts, Nipmuc, Northeastern
                  Deng Deng Kur, ?, Berkshire, Northwestern
                  Jeremy Verley, ?, Milton, UVA
                  Jacob Shaffelburg, Black Rock, Berkshire, UVA
                  Nicholas Berghold, Black Rock, Berkshire, UVA

D3

Declan Sung, Bolts, Newton, Amherst
                  Jack Marvel, Liverpool FC, Tabor, Conn College
                  Minka Soumah, South Bronx, NMH, Kenyon
                  David McCrory, Black Rock, Berkshire, Kenyon*

Bump forward

Comment

Le Moyne going to 11th. Championship ! Would beat Bryant, HC, etc,,,,,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk0A...ature=youtu.be
                    The problem is that they don't play enough easy teams like Bentley and the frequent flyer Bolts goalie. What a JOKE !!!!!!!!!!

Comment

1. They are a NY team and their mascot is a dolphin...strike one.

2. They lost to American International...strike two.

3. Two and half minutes of highlights against Bentley means nothing. I looked at their schedule this past year...No way in h#ll they beat even a D1 team in the top 200. Strike three.

I am sure your son is happy playing on that team...just don't set the expectations that they are a competitive D1 team.
                      First off, there are basically only 200 D1 teams - so top 200 means all D1. Secondly, most college coaches will tell you that a top 50 D3 program can be very competitive with a bottom 50 D1 program on any given day.

Comment

First off, there are basically only 200 D1 teams - so top 200 means all D1. Secondly, most college coaches will tell you that a top 50 D3 program can be very competitive with a bottom 50 D1 program on any given day.
                        "Most college coaches"....you mean like D2 and D3 coaches?

Comment

"Most college coaches"....you mean like D2 and D3 coaches?
                          Well....yes. The top D1 schools don’t really care about the muck below them and will never engage in play. The middle D1 schools understand that their teams have weaknesses but can still beat any D3 team with some struggle with the top....The bottom D1 teams keep very quiet since they know they would lose to top D3 teams.
                          The top D3 team coaches don’t even care about this conversation since they understand their role and know that they could do well against any other team in any division...but if they played and lost to a top D1 team it wouldn’t matter. Ultimately, the top D3 teams are also top academic schools and are confident and secure in what kind of student athlete they have and produce all of which have bright futures that do not involve playing professional sports.
                          Perhaps, someday, these D3 athletes will hire some of the D1 athletes to work for them.

Comment

Well....yes. The top D1 schools don’t really care about the muck below them and will never engage in play. The middle D1 schools understand that their teams have weaknesses but can still beat any D3 team with some struggle with the top....The bottom D1 teams keep very quiet since they know they would lose to top D3 teams.
                            The top D3 team coaches don’t even care about this conversation since they understand their role and know that they could do well against any other team in any division...but if they played and lost to a top D1 team it wouldn’t matter. Ultimately, the top D3 teams are also top academic schools and are confident and secure in what kind of student athlete they have and produce all of which have bright futures that do not involve playing professional sports.
                            Perhaps, someday, these D3 athletes will hire some of the D1 athletes to work for them.
                            Take a look at the bottom RPI this year - there's some good academics at the bottom like HC, LaSalle, Bucknell but not really any "top" academics. There's also others like Eastern IL, North FL, Incarnate Word (what the hell is that?). Compare that to top D3 - U Rochester, Tufts, F&M, Chicago. If you have the academics to get in and play at those schools vs many bottom D1 schools? It's a no brainer.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/soccer...ens-soccer-rpi

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/soccer...ional-rankings

Comment

Take a look at the bottom RPI this year - there's some good academics at the bottom like HC, LaSalle, Bucknell but not really any "top" academics. There's also others like Eastern IL, North FL, Incarnate Word (what the hell is that?). Compare that to top D3 - U Rochester, Tufts, F&M, Chicago. If you have the academics to get in and play at those schools vs many bottom D1 schools? It's a no brainer.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/soccer...ens-soccer-rpi

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/soccer...ional-rankings
                              What’s the only league below d3? High school

Comment

What’s the only league below d3? High school
                                Your simplistic reply show the level of your overall ignorance to college soccer.

While there are a lot of D3 schools that do not offer strong soccer programs, per the previous post, the top 50-100 D3 programs are very strong and as stated would be competitive against the bottom half of D1 soccer programs.

At the end of the day, it becomes quite simple. Very few kids will ever play pro, and even fewer of those will even play in college. Ultimately, for 95% of the kids playing college soccer, it is all about the education while playing a sport you love. The difference between D1 and D3 is largely in the commitment required as D1 tends to be a full year program, whereas D3 scales if back in the winter and spring. This gives the kids more flexibility to study what they want and to more fully enjoy all aspects of the college experience.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X