Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2005 girls

Obviously is still early but any idea how these teams rank after Labor Day tourneys?

Comment

Here's a suggestion. Start by developing a consensus list from teams operating in Mass of the top 20 players by position. People will likely squawk because they think that its too early to put labels on players like this but the reality is that all of the top club coaches in the state have already identified who the top 20 are and are most likely actively working to recruit them. If you want to do a serious ranking I think you will find that any team that has more than 4 of those top 20 players on it will be a serious contender for the top spot and more important will more than likely still be in existence by the time the girls get to high school. Conversely I think that you will also find that many teams don't actually have much top level talent on them and aren't really going to go very far. In club soccer the teams with the most talent at this stage usually end up stealing everyone else's talent and typically push the teams where it came from into oblivion so if you want to start handicapping the race, the list of top 20 players is how you start.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Here's a suggestion. Start by developing a consensus list from teams operating in Mass of the top 20 players by position. People will likely squawk because they think that its too early to put labels on players like this but the reality is that all of the top club coaches in the state have already identified who the top 20 are and are most likely actively working to recruit them. If you want to do a serious ranking I think you will find that any team that has more than 4 of those top 20 players on it will be a serious contender for the top spot and more important will more than likely still be in existence by the time the girls get to high school. Conversely I think that you will also find that many teams don't actually have much top level talent on them and aren't really going to go very far. In club soccer the teams with the most talent at this stage usually end up stealing everyone else's talent and typically push the teams where it came from into oblivion so if you want to start handicapping the race, the list of top 20 players is how you start.

Um no.

Comment

Um no.
          You clearly don't get yet that studs dictate which will be the best team and the rest of the teams always fade. If you want to be in this for the long haul you need to figure out which teams really has the top level talent. Everything shakes out from there. That's really what your lists all comes down to anyways.

Comment

SSS for the win

Comment

Soccer seems as reasonable an escape from the doom and gloom in the news as anything, right? So here we go. First, last Sunday in the rain sure was fun. Who’s with me??? Second, I can’t tell you how much more reasonable this age group looks without the insanity that DA has inflicted on the 2004 and older girls. That DA thread has literally dipped to the nadir point of ridiculousness. This week’s list is light on specifics. It’s too early to effectively give every team a different position. There hasn’t been enough crosstalk between teams.

1 SSS AP: clear #1. They won the top bracket at Stars Cup, and handled NEFC with a 4-0 drubbing along the way.

2 FC Stars ECNL: Had a couple of solid wins, including over FCB ECNL, but didn’t close out that top group. Below this team, I think things get cloudier.

3 FC Stars NPL
              3 NEFC NPL
              3 GPS Elite Red
              - GPS won a close 1 goal match against NEFC in the NEFC kickoff, then beat GPS in penalty kicks after a draw in the championship game. Forget about last season. These teams look evenly matched at this point at U13. GPS was at a supercup in Ohio, and I can’t draw much from those results against far away teams despite their losses. FC Stars NPL definitely deserves to be at least in this group after they won the second division in Stars Cup. Too bad Stars and NEFC/GPS are in different NPLs.

6 FCB ECNL
              7 FCB NPL
              -tough weekend for FCB. FCB ECNL had close games, so I fully expect them to move up. However, this is where they belong after only 3. FCB NPL has some work to do after a -10 GD at the tournament. I definitely see room for an NPL B team to take this spot from FCB NPL if they don’t get it together. Looking ahead, SSS and NEFC should have relatively simpler contests on Sunday, while GPS plays Seacoast NPL. Stars and FCB NPLs don’t face off until the 16th. FCB and Stars ECNLs face off again on Saturday.

My suggestion: be positive role models for your girls, be thoughtful of the people in Florida, Texas, and the Caribbean that have headier thoughts on their minds than soccer, and enjoy the wonderful weather that is predicted in our neck of the woods.

Comment

Soccer seems as reasonable an escape from the doom and gloom in the news as anything, right? So here we go. First, last Sunday in the rain sure was fun. Who’s with me??? Second, I can’t tell you how much more reasonable this age group looks without the insanity that DA has inflicted on the 2004 and older girls. That DA thread has literally dipped to the nadir point of ridiculousness. This week’s list is light on specifics. It’s too early to effectively give every team a different position. There hasn’t been enough crosstalk between teams.

1 SSS AP: clear #1. They won the top bracket at Stars Cup, and handled NEFC with a 4-0 drubbing along the way.

2 FC Stars ECNL: Had a couple of solid wins, including over FCB ECNL, but didn’t close out that top group. Below this team, I think things get cloudier.

3 FC Stars NPL
                3 NEFC NPL
                3 GPS Elite Red
                - GPS won a close 1 goal match against NEFC in the NEFC kickoff, then beat GPS in penalty kicks after a draw in the championship game. Forget about last season. These teams look evenly matched at this point at U13. GPS was at a supercup in Ohio, and I can’t draw much from those results against far away teams despite their losses. FC Stars NPL definitely deserves to be at least in this group after they won the second division in Stars Cup. Too bad Stars and NEFC/GPS are in different NPLs.

6 FCB ECNL
                7 FCB NPL
                -tough weekend for FCB. FCB ECNL had close games, so I fully expect them to move up. However, this is where they belong after only 3. FCB NPL has some work to do after a -10 GD at the tournament. I definitely see room for an NPL B team to take this spot from FCB NPL if they don’t get it together. Looking ahead, SSS and NEFC should have relatively simpler contests on Sunday, while GPS plays Seacoast NPL. Stars and FCB NPLs don’t face off until the 16th. FCB and Stars ECNLs face off again on Saturday.

My suggestion: be positive role models for your girls, be thoughtful of the people in Florida, Texas, and the Caribbean that have headier thoughts on their minds than soccer, and enjoy the wonderful weather that is predicted in our neck of the woods.
                Positive role model?? Think about things other than soccer?? Great advice if you are trying to win a civic badge, bad advice if you have any interest in your kid being a serious soccer player. If you have a kid who is serious about their soccer you had better be teaching them to filter the outside world out and learn to focus on improving their soccer. If not you are teaching them that soccer is nothing more than an extra curricular activity. In that case you might as well save the money you are spending on club soccer because you are all but guaranteeing that your kid will come up short come recruiting time.

Comment

Positive role model?? Think about things other than soccer?? Great advice if you are trying to win a civic badge, bad advice if you have any interest in your kid being a serious soccer player. If you have a kid who is serious about their soccer you had better be teaching them to filter the outside world out and learn to focus on improving their soccer. If not you are teaching them that soccer is nothing more than an extra curricular activity. In that case you might as well save the money you are spending on club soccer because you are all but guaranteeing that your kid will come up short come recruiting time.
                  Why is being kind not a goal for a positive role model?

OP appears to be talking to the lunatic parents, not the kids.

Why do you think they are mutually exclusive?

Why do you think everyone plays to be recruited?

Comment

Watched all of these teams play over the 2 tournaments. I personally don't think you can assign 1-7 at this point, so I'd put them in tiers:

Tier 1
                    SSS = always so solid, and fun to watch. Everyone gets all riled up over NEP/NPL/ECNL/DA. SSS top teams are always good.
                    Stars ECNL = also looked solid. Honestly, not as solid as SSS, but it was the first weekend and I only watched parts of all the games.
                    Stars NPL = looked good. Heard they have a bunch Seacoast and Kings girls that followed their coach over.

Tier 1b
                    NEFC NPL = not a great showing vs SSS. Heard they are dealing with significant injuries. Expect they'll be in the hunt when they come back.

Tier 2
                    GPS = Haven't heard of any significant news, but look improved over last year.
                    FC Boston ECNL = heard they lost some players. Looked better than Tier 2 at times. Interested in the rematch with Stars ECNL.

Untiered
                    FC Boston NPL = it's one tournament, early in the season, on the big field, but they struggled. Play Stars NPL on the 16th so will be interesting to see how they do after a couple additional weeks of practice.

Surprised
                    Seacoast NPL = if they lost a bunch of players to Stars it looks like they were able to at least find some decent replacements. Game against GPS should be a measuring stick for both teams.

Incomplete
                    Regional Teams = It got too tough to remember who I was watching between all the NEFC and Stars regions. From what I saw there are a bunch of regional teams who could claim to be in the top 10, but none that would be mentioned in the top 4-5.

All the teams were fun to watch. Can honestly say that the sidelines seemed to be a lot more peaceful than some of the older, and younger, groups. Saw kids battling hard through exhaustion in dealing with the big field. Didn't see any of the kids from the above teams complaining to the refs. It stinks that it is going to be rare to see these teams play each other. Hopefully GPS Thanksgiving tourney creates some match-ups, though even that will be incomplete as players travel for the holiday. Not sure how it works, but I guess there could be some Stars and FC Boston ECNL/NPL player movement? Though I'm not sure it matters at this age all that much, though it probably does to some parents! Should be a good year.

I didn't check schedules, just took what was said in the original post regarding match ups, so if they're incorrect that stinks! Some good matches coming up!

Comment

^^ Interesting observations, can't disagree with them too much. I have ties to 4 of the teams listed, so I'm not impartial.

Comment

Huge upgrades to Scorpions 05 Girls for next season.. Now favorites in Northeast conference.

Comment

Scorpions brought in a lot of kids this year across many of the younger ages, NEP-ECNL.

Comment

Huge upgrades to Scorpions 05 Girls for next season.. Now favorites in Northeast conference.
                            Picked up kids from where?

Comment

Oh good lord, I'd hope the '05 parents were immune to this. Leave it to Scorpions.....

Comment

Way to bring a 2017 thread back to life!!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X