Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I couldn't resist this one. I never post on this site - was looking For more GPS stuff!

From my experience as a coach and short term board member, the downward slide of this club started with those dinosaur pres and "equipment manager" and their politics and game playing years ago - they alienated many ex-player coaches who filled the ranks and attempted to "develop" players and create a soccer culture within the club. When pres DC and "equipment manager" SC stepped in to handle the club this was the beginning of the end , they ushered in GPS because of obvious reasons. The cost then was astronomical to the DSC with more and more of the better players being plucked away to bigger and better non-town clubs . They brought in their own brand of politics and side shows BNB Futsal and Revs "trainers"

Meanwhile, NHSL quality was falling, recruiting was non-existent and director of coaching/travel director stiffs completely destroyed year after year tryouts with their incompetence. The current batch of administrators, as the posts correctly indicate, have NEVER played the game. It's been a crap show for years and years.

But let's face it - town soccer is no place anymore to develop players - only provide a place for the kids to run around a bit. It is what it is. That website ain't bad though!
    Spot on. SC brought in GPS and then Revs to benefit his own kid, but that free pass to foxboro didn't materialize. Now they're charging $600+ for town soccer under the guise of "professional training" and the club is now being run by the parents of a team of 9 year olds who think their kids are going pro. SC doesn't care one bit and needs to bow out, like yesterday. Current board needs to get the 9 year old parents under control.

Comment

Spot on. SC brought in GPS and then Revs to benefit his own kid, but that free pass to foxboro didn't materialize. Now they're charging $600+ for town soccer under the guise of "professional training" and the club is now being run by the parents of a team of 9 year olds who think their kids are going pro. SC doesn't care one bit and needs to bow out, like yesterday. Current board needs to get the 9 year old parents under control.
      ----------------------------------
      You are right on the money with SC and DC!!!! Perfect assessment.

I will say that the current board, specifically the president - has NO idea about soccer let alone thinks his kid is going pro. In all fairness to ML - initially, he was propped up in place by the SC/DC regime to "remove" themselves (of course there was always the equipment managers gig for SC) from the DSC but of course retain the ability to wield power and influence - case in point their now dying situation like the BNB futsal ruse etc.

Comment

It appears as though there have been problems for quite some time which I wouldn't have known about. But, it also appears as though there may be changes coming. Based on comments that is what looks like should happen.

As far as parents expectations and kids going pro....not sure about that either. It really looks like volunteers trying to make things better if they can. There have been many emails asking for parents to come out and express their concerns....seems legit.....seems like they want feedback these days. Perhaps the best way to start change is with that???? Can't change things if the people who can - don't know what to change.

Comment

It appears as though there have been problems for quite some time which I wouldn't have known about. But, it also appears as though there may be changes coming. Based on comments that is what looks like should happen.

As far as parents expectations and kids going pro....not sure about that either. It really looks like volunteers trying to make things better if they can. There have been many emails asking for parents to come out and express their concerns....seems legit.....seems like they want feedback these days. Perhaps the best way to start change is with that???? Can't change things if the people who can - don't know what to change.
          I will stay cautiously optimistic. I just hope the new board remembers to put the good of the club over their own players interests.

I'd love to see them ditch the Revs and go back to a $300 a year travel club. I don't know if the current board understands enough about the current climate to realize they don't need "pros" for a town travel program. Reduce the cost, get more players, and get stronger teams that play well together.

Comment

I will stay cautiously optimistic. I just hope the new board remembers to put the goo

I also hope they keep the best of the club in mind. I didn't know about the club when it was less expensive for travel .... did they have parent coaches for the travel/eagles?

If so, what would be the difference between Hawks and Eagles? More game and travel? I thought Eagles paid more for that reason....the coaching.

Comment

I also hope they keep the best of the club in mind. I didn't know about the club when it was less expensive for travel .... did they have parent coaches for the travel/eagles?

If so, what would be the difference between Hawks and Eagles? More game and travel? I thought Eagles paid more for that reason....the coaching.
              ----------
              Back in the day it was only parent coaches at eagles. Hawks used have the paid coaches coaching the u6's. Initially they were Challenger coaches at DSC to assist eagles coaches one day a week. Very few if any of the parent coaches actually ever played soccer so many were happy. Then GPS became involved, and it was a similar arrangement only it was very clear they were there just to poach players and collect the $29k. The coaches assigned to Derry were very green - good players but absolutely zero coaching experience. GPS MQ used to show up at the DSC board meetings and tell us how good he was. Those coaches assigned to Derry would stay at host family homes. Right around this time it was approximately 360 bucks from what I remember for the year. There was no winter training except when coaches wanted to secure that at extra cost to the parents (which most of us did) . Occasionally a coach would have a team also playing in Maple and the cost was marginal.

I've been away from the club for 4 years now, thankfully. Several kids I coached are still playing so I will occasionally go and watch. If anything - it's a good segway to NH high school soccer I guess. Both are pretty hard on the eyes! But to a ML - or most affiliated - they have no concept of the quality around on the higher GPS and Seacoast teams.

Comment

Most of the travel teams in the area do not have professional coaches. If you have a player on an Eagles team, you will see that unless you're playing maybe GPS teams but those are like C level teams, not the real deal. And although it shouldn't be just about wins and losses, you will see that those parent coached teams are far more successful than the Derry teams. in fact, some of the most successful Eagles teams even lately were parent coached.

If you're paying more than Hakws but less than Eagles pricing currently, comparable to other towns, you should expect more practices than a Hawks team, tournaments, and entry into NHSL. Ideally the lower price drives more kids into tryouts, allowing for a more selective process and better teams.

ML definitely has no idea about the DA and NPL teams in the area beyond what SC has told him. SC fed him a line that Derry needs to stop letting players go to GPS to play on B and C teams and the way to do it is to have Revs coaches. I don't think there are too many GPS B and C team players from Derry. Maybe a handful. Maybe a couple more at Seacoast. There are probably 3 or 4 kids on DA or NPL teams from Derry that don't belong in an Eagles team anyway because they're beyond it. ML is worrying about the wrong things.

Derry board if you're here reading this...get back to the basics. Let the people who want the bells and whistles go to GPS. Focus on being a town program that serves the general demographic of DERRY, not what SC is telling you!

Comment

Most of the travel teams in the area do not have professional coaches. If you have a player on an Eagles team, you will see that unless you're playing maybe GPS teams but those are like C level teams, not the real deal. And although it shouldn't be just about wins and losses, you will see that those parent coached teams are far more successful than the Derry teams. in fact, some of the most successful Eagles teams even lately were parent coached.

If you're paying more than Hakws but less than Eagles pricing currently, comparable to other towns, you should expect more practices than a Hawks team, tournaments, and entry into NHSL. Ideally the lower price drives more kids into tryouts, allowing for a more selective process and better teams.

ML definitely has no idea about the DA and NPL teams in the area beyond what SC has told him. SC fed him a line that Derry needs to stop letting players go to GPS to play on B and C teams and the way to do it is to have Revs coaches. I don't think there are too many GPS B and C team players from Derry. Maybe a handful. Maybe a couple more at Seacoast. There are probably 3 or 4 kids on DA or NPL teams from Derry that don't belong in an Eagles team anyway because they're beyond it. ML is worrying about the wrong things.

Derry board if you're here reading this...get back to the basics. Let the people who want the bells and whistles go to GPS. Focus on being a town program that serves the general demographic of DERRY, not what SC is telling you!
                  --------
                  Unfortunately, this is no longer good advice. With the situation at GPS - most would suggest looking elsewhere. Certainly seacoast is a very good option for any kid who is looking to improve. I have been incredibly happy with the DA program, but also have referred (eagles players) to Seacoast as well and so far they have been extremely happy with things.

Comment

Certainly seacoast is a very good option for any kid who is looking to improve. I have been incredibly happy with the DA program
                    Just to note, Seacoast is probably the best option available for any family that can afford it.

I would love there to be a low cost, community based club that is willing to step up and offer themselves as an upper tier option.

Comment

An upper tier town program isn't a bad idea. I'm not sure Derry is the right town to host it. Maybe Windham, Bow, Hollis. Do the folks in Derry have the disposable income for a luxury soccer product? This might serve some of the community but most? I don't know.

A poster above said he's referred many Eagles players to Seacoast. I wonder how many former eagles players are now playing Seacoast. I'd be surprised if it was many but I've been known to be wrong.

My kids are HS age now and no longer in DSC so I'm truly just musing. I could be entirely off base and the Eagles program could be bigger than ever and their new more expensive program could be exactly the right fit.

Comment

An upper tier town program isn't a bad idea. I'm not sure Derry is the right town to host it. Maybe Windham, Bow, Hollis. Do the folks in Derry have the disposable income for a luxury soccer product? This might serve some of the community but most? I don't know.

A poster above said he's referred many Eagles players to Seacoast. I wonder how many former eagles players are now playing Seacoast. I'd be surprised if it was many but I've been known to be wrong.

My kids are HS age now and no longer in DSC so I'm truly just musing. I could be entirely off base and the Eagles program could be bigger than ever and their new more expensive program could be exactly the right fit.
                        I've referred several from teams I was affiliated in the past - that I know one is playing NPL and one just got started and will end up in NPL @ Seacoast. For players who "started" at the DSC currently in the DA at Seacoast, I count (2) in the 05's, (1) in the 04's, and (2) 03's with (1) 02 all three rostered U19's. These players have had varying paths to get to the DA - it wasn't straight from DSC! There are several premier kids at Seacoast who "started" at DSC.

Regarding the last paragraph, the DSC is neither bigger or the right fit. I can recall days (I used to organize the schedule for a couple years) where the DSC had at least one team in every age group - both girls and boys - and we struggled to find adequate fields for all the teams ( that's rider 1&2, barka, and Calvary)! So it's a far cry from that - of course those days are long gone.

Comment

I've referred several from teams I was affiliated in the past - that I know one is playing NPL and one just got started and will end up in NPL @ Seacoast. For players who "started" at the DSC currently in the DA at Seacoast, I count (2) in the 05's, (1) in the 04's, and (2) 03's with (1) 02 all three rostered U19's. These players have had varying paths to get to the DA - it wasn't straight from DSC! There are several premier kids at Seacoast who "started" at DSC.

Regarding the last paragraph, the DSC is neither bigger or the right fit. I can recall days (I used to organize the schedule for a couple years) where the DSC had at least one team in every age group - both girls and boys - and we struggled to find adequate fields for all the teams ( that's rider 1&2, barka, and Calvary)! So it's a far cry from that - of course those days are long gone.
                          Good to hear DSC kids are doing well. I only knew of 2, a DA boy and an NPL girl, maybe ones you've referred, so happy there are several others. Plus SC's son of course.

That is what I suspected, that the Revs trainers haven't increased the size of the eagles program, probably just the price. I'm guessing the current parents of players think it's great but hopefully the board is asking the more important question of why all the Hawks players aren't joining. $$$. They don't need professional training for a town level U9 team or whatever. A product exists for that. Just go back to being a town club and do a good job.

Comment

Good to hear DSC kids are doing well. I only knew of 2, a DA boy and an NPL girl, maybe ones you've referred, so happy there are several others. Plus SC's son of course.

That is what I suspected, that the Revs trainers haven't increased the size of the eagles program, probably just the price. I'm guessing the current parents of players think it's great but hopefully the board is asking the more important question of why all the Hawks players aren't joining. $$$. They don't need professional training for a town level U9 team or whatever. A product exists for that. Just go back to being a town club and do a good job.
                            ---

Sorry. I was referring to boys only throughout. And I have SC boy in the 05's included in the tally.

Comment

Asked these clowns about a refund for spring rec season multiple time with no reply. Awful organization.

Comment

League Cancelled officially . No refunds being given

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X