Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    There is no real substance to ODP right now in order to attract the top players. maybe make it selection based and do a couple tournaments over the summer based on that.
    Holy crap, do you even know what you're talking about?

First, ODP has tryouts every Fall and not everyone gets selected to join the state team. Second, they play East Regional Tournament down in MD/DE area and may qualify for the East Region Championships, which is another tournament down that way. They also attend a week long camp for the East region where the best players are selected for the East Region Team, which allows access to tournaments in South America, Central America and Europe as well as National selection camps. That East Region camp is basically the hunger games for soccer and probably the most intense week your kid will ever have.

Seriously, parents are so screwed up they think they know anything and know absolutely nothing. To the poster who said what would an ECNL player gain, my kid is an ECNL player and an ODP player. She loves ODP, loves the coaches, loves the players who play for different clubs. It is all based on individual development, not winning, which is all ECNL teams seem to care about. College coaches always ask about ODP in questionaires and soccer resumes and actually want to know how high a level you achieved, so they understand that there is talent there.

My advice, do your research and talk to people who are involved, not just internet trolls and no-nothings. Even club coaches tend to downplay ODP. Why? Because those not involved want to keep players to themselves. Think of SSS and all the extra money they charge parents for camps, clinics, privates... if they do ODP, might not get more money from those parents. Qui bono?

Comment

First, ODP has tryouts every Fall and not everyone gets selected to join the state team. Second, they play East Regional Tournament down in MD/DE area and may qualify for the East Region Championships, which is another tournament down that way. They also attend a week long camp for the East region where the best players are selected for the East Region Team, which allows access to tournaments in South America, Central America and Europe as well as National selection camps. That East Region camp is basically the hunger games for soccer and probably the most intense week your kid will ever have.

Seriously, parents are so screwed up they think they know anything and know absolutely nothing. To the poster who said what would an ECNL player gain, my kid is an ECNL player and an ODP player. She loves ODP, loves the coaches, loves the players who play for different clubs. It is all based on individual development, not winning, which is all ECNL teams seem to care about. College coaches always ask about ODP in questionaires and soccer resumes and actually want to know how high a level you achieved, so they understand that there is talent there.

My advice, do your research and talk to people who are involved, not just internet trolls and no-nothings. Even club coaches tend to downplay ODP. Why? Because those not involved want to keep players to themselves. Think of SSS and all the extra money they charge parents for camps, clinics, privates... if they do ODP, might not get more money from those parents. Qui bono?
      Oh, almost forget, not everyone travels to East Region tournament, it's selection based. Also, not everyone gets an invite to East Region Camp, again selection based. Last, 90% of players at East Region camp don't get selected for the East Region Team. Imagine that, a tiered selection based format for advancement that, at least as it's structured, isn't based on favoritism or how much money your family has. Talent and athleticism are the keys to success.

Comment

How much is ODP and what is the schedule/commitment time?

Comment

How much is ODP and what is the schedule/commitment time?
          ....and ODP is coached by various club coaches from many clubs. You’re saying they’re are no politics? Please.

Comment

I did both, I'm aware of all the things you mentioned, but my point is all that time spent and there really isn't a point to it to draw the top kids in the region to play it and give up their summer. Multiple people have told me that to not bother with ODP as the talent just isn't there and that a top player will largely play with mediocre players. If your saying that the point of it all is that these players get funneled and ultimately seen by colleges and or US soccer, then there is the endgame I was referring to that would be worth it and draw the top talent.I'm not saying is that there isn't some talent there, and that the players are bad, just that my understanding is that it's not the top talent. If the player wants to go through that and that makes it worth it to you, have at it. But if the goal or feeling is that it supposed to represent the top talent in the area, or east region by making these teams, then I think you'd see colleges, and us soccer take notice and that would make it worthwhile to spend that kind of time. Glad your kid is finding it worthwhile.

Comment

I missed where it was mentioned their playing time was substantial. Only that they are given a shirt on a top team.
              Fair. The thread started talking about one of the “best players in the state” so my assumption was playing time would be significant on a top team.

Comment

I did both, I'm aware of all the things you mentioned, but my point is all that time spent and there really isn't a point to it to draw the top kids in the region to play it and give up their summer. Multiple people have told me that to not bother with ODP as the talent just isn't there and that a top player will largely play with mediocre players. If your saying that the point of it all is that these players get funneled and ultimately seen by colleges and or US soccer, then there is the endgame I was referring to that would be worth it and draw the top talent.I'm not saying is that there isn't some talent there, and that the players are bad, just that my understanding is that it's not the top talent. If the player wants to go through that and that makes it worth it to you, have at it. But if the goal or feeling is that it supposed to represent the top talent in the area, or east region by making these teams, then I think you'd see colleges, and us soccer take notice and that would make it worthwhile to spend that kind of time. Glad your kid is finding it worthwhile.
                Regional competitions and foreign tourneys are rife with excellent talent. State teams are heavily weighted towards NPL-level players as GDA didn’t allow outside soccer and many ECNL families don’t see the need given the college exposure. Having said that, my kid has loved everything about it. Her coaches have been college coaches the last few years. I can only post our experience on the girls side. I’ve heard boys isn’t as strong, but I can’t comfirm that.

Comment

....and ODP is coached by various club coaches from many clubs. You’re saying they’re are no politics? Please.
                  There is absolutely politics involved. Last year LL coached and the roster was mostly all SSS and NEFC players. This year LU coaching and NEFC heavy once again. ODP is a joke.

Comment

There is absolutely politics involved. Last year LL coached and the roster was mostly all SSS and NEFC players. This year LU coaching and NEFC heavy once again. ODP is a joke.
                    Not surprising. Need we say more?

Comment

Fair. The thread started talking about one of the “best players in the state” so my assumption was playing time would be significant on a top team.
                      Yea playing time wouldn’t be an issue

Comment

Makes sense. Best players come from those clubs. Looks like a good system

Comment

It’s a great system. I think people should find out for themselves instead of just going off of what other people say about it. I never understood why parents do that. Let your kid determine if he or she likes it and if it’s a good fit for them. I guarantee you that you care more about the “level” of player on the field than your kid does.

Comment

There are players from the big and small clubs who represent the state but NEFC / SSS / Stars certainly make up a good amount.

Comment

U10-U13 was fun to argue who had the best team. U15-U18 no one cares. Its all about who is getting the most exposure.

U14 is the doorway between those two worlds.

Comment

U10-U13 was fun to argue who had the best team. U15-U18 no one cares. Its all about who is getting the most exposure.

U14 is the doorway between those two worlds.
                                excellent post! SO true! Most of the agitators on this site have U-little's and think every ranking is life and death when in reality as the kids get older it becomes only about maximum exposure. Does it really matter the teams ranking at U-12?

This is one of the best posts I have read on ts.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X