Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Have him play volleyball as well. It will help him with his reflexes.
    Basketball is better. You have to grab the ball vs bounce it away in volleyball

Comment

We have encountered both types too. Seems like it sort of reflects the type of soccer played in their conference. Some conferences tend to play very physical, direct and high press type soccer and it seems like coaches prefer the type a) GK. While other conferences tend to play more of a finesse style and they tend prefer the type b) GK. Our daughter is more like your type b) GK but she committed to a program that historically took type a) GKs because the coach wants to "evolve" their style of play from very direct to more finesse.
      Yes... it is important when recruiting ... coaches are often not too sophisticated when it comes to GKs... evolving from type a to type b takes a long time and much work.... its easier to pack the defense.
      So when you go for your visit and watch games check out how the defense plays... are they comfortable passing the ball back to the GK?

Comment

Basketball is better. You have to grab the ball vs bounce it away in volleyball
        I think both are good for GKs -- re positioning, tactics, etc. Really depends whether they clash with the soccer season in your state.

Comment

Or to say it another way - in the lower leagues the GKs are usually some of the less athletic players on the field but in the higher leagues, the GKs are usually some of the more athletic players on the field.
          I agree for most part that teams that the older DA GK’s are very althetic, but my kid plays in a club where all the girl GK’s are short and fat. It’s the weirdest thing I have ever seen. She is tall and athletic surrounded by humpty dumpty’s. It’s very confusing to say the least.

Comment

I agree for most part that teams that the older DA GK’s are very althetic, but my kid plays in a club where all the girl GK’s are short and fat. It’s the weirdest thing I have ever seen. She is tall and athletic surrounded by humpty dumpty’s. It’s very confusing to say the least.
            Most likely they got pigeon holed into the net at an early age and the club hasn't weeded them out yet. By high school age it's rare to see short, pudgy GKs in good programs.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            Working...
            X