Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Apparently you are not smart enough to follow what I was saying. No college coach will come to a league game to watch a player. I'll explain more since you are narrow minded. A college coach wants to watch player x play. player x is playing in a league and contacted the coach when there next game is. that coach will either ask for video of the player or ask for the entire schedule and will see that player play at a high level tournament. coaches don't have a budget to fly around the country to watch a single player here and there. the only one's that may even get that type of attention our national team players. you see you are just a typical small minded parent that has no clue how the system really works.
    Firstly, it's very difficult to take you seriously with your grammar. That aside, let me tell you from personal experience: our team has had Vanderbilt, Duke, Alabama, Georgia and UF make personal trips out to see a single player (and not always the same one). This has happened on stand-alone league games, as well as evening practices that have taken place around the time of large showcases in Florida.

Remember, just because you have not seen it (you're most likely a parent anyways), or in the very unlikely case that you are a coach, have not done it, doesn't mean it's not happening around you.

Comment

Apparently you are not smart enough to follow what I was saying. No college coach will come to a league game to watch a player. I'll explain more since you are narrow minded. A college coach wants to watch player x play. player x is playing in a league and contacted the coach when there next game is. that coach will either ask for video of the player or ask for the entire schedule and will see that player play at a high level tournament. coaches don't have a budget to fly around the country to watch a single player here and there. the only one's that may even get that type of attention our national team players. you see you are just a typical small minded parent that has no clue how the system really works.
      but you're wrong. I have seen coaches from D1 and D2 from all over the country at regular season ECNL league games. They might not be there for one player but that league gets you more looks. They almost serve the same purpose as ID camps.

Comment

Firstly, it's very difficult to take you seriously with your grammar. That aside, let me tell you from personal experience: our team has had Vanderbilt, Duke, Alabama, Georgia and UF make personal trips out to see a single player (and not always the same one). This has happened on stand-alone league games, as well as evening practices that have taken place around the time of large showcases in Florida.

Remember, just because you have not seen it (you're most likely a parent anyways), or in the very unlikely case that you are a coach, have not done it, doesn't mean it's not happening around you.
        Agreed. Especially in-state coaches. Our team was playing FESA in Jacksonville in an ECNL league game on a Sunday morning and Becky and Vic (head and assistant coaches) from UF were watching.

Comment

GK coach here. Let me dispel some of the myths here. 1) your child does not need to play ecnl or da . 2) colleges don't care about what league they played in. either you can play or you can't. 3) goal keepers only playing 1/2 of a game does nothing for there development. 4) these parents on here talk about exposure, yet they are paying 1000's of $$$$ per year for exposure. 5) if you are at a proper club your doc can help with exposure getting he or she into these schools for try outs 6) make sure your child is at a club with a proper gk coach. (if you have this, they are more valuable then anything else. It's a specialized position). 7) don't limit your i.d. camps to just the schools they hope to go.

too many parents care about leagues. da isn't any better then ecnl, or fspl. npl, etc at the end of the day each league has there strong teams and there weak teams. No college coach is going to any individual game to watch a kid. they show up to the high level show case tournaments. da, ecnl, Disney, casl, Jefferson, img cup etc,. this is where you will get the greatest bang for the $$$
          "2) colleges don't care about what league they played in. either you can play or you can't."

I am not posting to argue about the "what league is better p*ssing match."

But... at the GK position, the style of play changes as you go up in the leagues and the GK position is much more demanding. In the ECNL/DA almost all of the teams build out of the back and rarely punt so the GK has to be a more complete player. In the lower leagues/H.S. the GK is primarily a shot stopper but in the higher leagues the GK is more like an 11th field player with gloves on - the GK organizes and starts the attack, the GK organizes the defense - and stops shots. While the GK may face less shots in the higher leagues, the shots they face have a better chance of deciding the game so the pressure is much greater.

So I'm not going to list 6-7 points like GK coach. I'll list two: 1) go the club with the best GK trainer and 2) for GKs, the leagues they play in really do matter to college coaches.

Comment

"2) colleges don't care about what league they played in. either you can play or you can't."

I am not posting to argue about the "what league is better p*ssing match."

But... at the GK position, the style of play changes as you go up in the leagues and the GK position is much more demanding. In the ECNL/DA almost all of the teams build out of the back and rarely punt so the GK has to be a more complete player. In the lower leagues/H.S. the GK is primarily a shot stopper but in the higher leagues the GK is more like an 11th field player with gloves on - the GK organizes and starts the attack, the GK organizes the defense - and stops shots. While the GK may face less shots in the higher leagues, the shots they face have a better chance of deciding the game so the pressure is much greater.

So I'm not going to list 6-7 points like GK coach. I'll list two: 1) go the club with the best GK trainer and 2) for GKs, the leagues they play in really do matter to college coaches.
            Or to say it another way - in the lower leagues the GKs are usually some of the less athletic players on the field but in the higher leagues, the GKs are usually some of the more athletic players on the field.

Comment

Or to say it another way - in the lower leagues the GKs are usually some of the less athletic players on the field but in the higher leagues, the GKs are usually some of the more athletic players on the field.
              Not necessarily. Many GK's on top teams aren't challenged as often because they have a solid wall of defensive players who know what they're doing and don't make many mistakes. I've also seen some incredible GKS who just don't have the height to make the big leagues. I always feel bad for them - they're good and clearly have worked hard but are unlucky genetically.

Comment

This GK had a very unique situation. She played on a team that won State, Regional and National championships but not ECNL or DA. By the time you have won at all those levels your GK has had a ton of exposure.

It is a whole different story if your GK is on a NPL or FSPL team that gets eliminated in the Round of 8 of State Cup. If so, you had better sign up for a lot of showcases and ID camps, etc. to some exposure.

CASL is very good for a GK because the Friday before the showcase they have a dedicated half day session that is dedicated to GKs. A ton of college coaches come to the GK session and then if they like what they see they may come to some of your games over the weekend.
                I love a thread devoted to GKs. Its a very specialized position. It takes a certain type!

Comment

I love a thread devoted to GKs. Its a very specialized position. It takes a certain type!
                  You aint lying. Watching my daughter play I sometimes wonder if she is fearless or just stupid. Two knee injuries, broken ribs, and bumps and bruises everywhere you look. When she was younger I always worried I would be blamed for abuse. All paid off though she got a full ride to a D1 school and she is very happy about where she is. Not going to lie though it was a lot of work for the whole family.

Comment

You aint lying. Watching my daughter play I sometimes wonder if she is fearless or just stupid. Two knee injuries, broken ribs, and bumps and bruises everywhere you look. When she was younger I always worried I would be blamed for abuse. All paid off though she got a full ride to a D1 school and she is very happy about where she is. Not going to lie though it was a lot of work for the whole family.
                    This all sounded semi-legit until you threw in the "full ride". Next time try again but without feeling the need to over-exagerate. It's would still be a good story but a lot more believable.

Comment

This all sounded semi-legit until you threw in the "full ride". Next time try again but without feeling the need to over-exagerate. It's would still be a good story but a lot more believable.
                      I'm not the poster but it seems like you are implying that it is not possible for a women's soccer player to get a full ride. You are absolutley wrong. There are 2 players on my daughter's team that received full rides. It is not common by any means (fully funded programs only have 12 full scholarships and they usually carve them up into 1/2 and 1/4 scholarships to spread them around) but if you are a special player and the program has a "position of need" - which often times is either striker or GK - then the program may offer a full ride.

Don't be so quick to assume the poster is lying, it happens.

Comment

There are so many fundamentals to goaltending. The first second and third questions you should be asking yourself is this, where is he getting the best training? End of discussion

Comment

I'm not the poster but it seems like you are implying that it is not possible for a women's soccer player to get a full ride. You are absolutley wrong. There are 2 players on my daughter's team that received full rides. It is not common by any means (fully funded programs only have 12 full scholarships and they usually carve them up into 1/2 and 1/4 scholarships to spread them around) but if you are a special player and the program has a "position of need" - which often times is either striker or GK - then the program may offer a full ride.

If does happen but rarely, even more so for men's programs. That said, you're right that GK is one position where it's more likely. A coach may REALLY need a top GK and will give up one full scholarship if he thinks you'll be his next starting GK. If you're not that next big thing you'll get much less.

Keep in mind many parents brag about full rides when in fact they get a combination of sources (athletic, merit, financial aid). 100% full athletic is not common but parents don't mind letting people think that is what their kid got.

Comment

If does happen but rarely, even more so for men's programs. That said, you're right that GK is one position where it's more likely. A coach may REALLY need a top GK and will give up one full scholarship if he thinks you'll be his next starting GK. If you're not that next big thing you'll get much less.

Keep in mind many parents brag about full rides when in fact they get a combination of sources (athletic, merit, financial aid). 100% full athletic is not common but parents don't mind letting people think that is what their kid got.
                            This is the absolute truth.... "when in fact they get a combination of sources (athletic, merit, financial aid)." In real life it is more like a "package" and I agree that a "full ride" is very rare in soccer - it's more common in men's football and basketball.

Comment

I agree 100%. A parent on my daughters 03 team recently did that. He bragged/thanked the D2 college and coach on social media for the "generous full ride offer for soccer". Which I know for a fact was not the case. It was a combination of all 3 things that you mentioned above (athletic, merit, and financial aid).

Comment

There are 14 scholarships per team available for women’s soccer.

Full rides are rare as expected, but absolutely happen for top targets.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X