Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stats/attention for defenders during recruiting?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Backs that can use both feet are highly sought after. You need to be able to switch the attack anf not get dispossessed because you had to switch to your only "go to foot" to get out the ball. I have watched kids dribble in a circle because they cant or wont use both feet.
    What? Both feet? I haven't watched lots of college soccer, but is it possible that a college recruit can't use both feet? Unbelievable if true

Comment

What? Both feet? I haven't watched lots of college soccer, but is it possible that a college recruit can't use both feet? Unbelievable if true
      Is it? I mean, I was a lot of pro soccer and there's plenty of players who's opposite foot is equal to a T-Rex's arms...

Sad, but true.

Comment

Forwards who get turned into backs go to the outside because of their speed and a tendancy for outsode backs to overlap wingers and get overloads on the attack in the modern game. They are also interchangeable with wingers. They don’t become centerbacks. Holding mids and centerbacks are almost interchangeable. Attacking mids can play usually striker as well given how closely the positions play into each other and most are two footed.

Comment

Sad but true.

Comment

This goes under ability to clear the ball (the OP mis-stated this as "starting the attack"). :)
            Ability to control the ball in addition to clear it. Sometimes you need to control it and wait for opportunity to clear it. Otherwise just clearing it out but to an oncoming open attacking opponent usually doesnt end well.

Comment

Far easier to turn a great centerback into a competent forward than vice versa. Plus, you generally get a player that (sometimes to a fault) will find an open teammate and accept an assist.
              Nonsense. Please show me some examples of this in real life. The WNT is 90pct forwards or midfielders.

The number of "great" CBs in Club soccer can be counted on the fingers on one hand.

Comment

Nonsense. Please show me some examples of this in real life. The WNT is 90pct forwards or midfielders.

The number of "great" CBs in Club soccer can be counted on the fingers on one hand.
                agreed. This is a rarity. If a cb was that technically skilled, they would be up top already. And there are more times a striker gets moved back like dunn, ohara, etc. And that didnt happen overnight. The learning curve is very big. Up top you loose the ball, no big deal. Def 1/3 you loose the ball or cant stay with attacker, it is a big deal.

Comment

agreed. This is a rarity. If a cb was that technically skilled, they would be up top already. And there are more times a striker gets moved back like dunn, ohara, etc. And that didnt happen overnight. The learning curve is very big. Up top you loose the ball, no big deal. Def 1/3 you loose the ball or cant stay with attacker, it is a big deal.
                  Its because we measure everything in terms of goals and CBs naturally dont stack up. They generally have great speed and good ines are calm under pressure with very sure feet. The good ones also work well with teammates. Unfortunately these sure footed players are often pigeon holed early in the back to limit goals while the pinhead coaches children up top keep turning the ball over and need someone to win it back for them to do it over and over and over again.

Comment

Its because we measure everything in terms of goals and CBs naturally dont stack up. They generally have great speed and good ines are calm under pressure with very sure feet. The good ones also work well with teammates. Unfortunately these sure footed players are often pigeon holed early in the back to limit goals while the pinhead coaches children up top keep turning the ball over and need someone to win it back for them to do it over and over and over again.
                    If this post were an IPA, it'd be a good one. Hi IBUs

Comment

Spoken like a true CB's parent! (As I am as well :-) )

Comment

Stats? We are talking about recruiting for college. If good forwards and gks have poor players around them the stats wont tell the story. Bad passes that never make it up the field to forwards who may be taking correct runs but for no return and gks who have teams that just dump kids back there (some still do), no gk can stop a mob breakaway.
                        This! That’s why college coach’s watch them play. Stats don’t tell much of the story

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X